2024-04-29, 23:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokyo  (Read 4697 times)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2003-12-04, 01:26 »

Right here.

But enough about whale. By far the most diabolical dish I've heard tale of here in Tokyo has nothing at all to do with whales. It seems that in some restaurants, they will put live baby eels in a large bowl of water with a big block of tofu at the bottom. The bowl is heated, and as they become uncomfortably hot, the baby eels burrow down into the cooler tofu. There they are cooked alive, and served like an olive loaf. Any discussion of evil cuisine begins and ends with this recipe.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-04, 01:51 »

It seems that in some restaurants, they will put live baby
eels in a large bowl of water with a big block of tofu at the bottom.

Damn, I was very excited there for a moment  Slipgate - Sad
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-04, 02:09 »

That has to be one of the funniest articles I've read in awhile.

Thumbs up!
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-04, 02:14 »

Quote from: dev/null
It seems that in some restaurants, they will put live baby
eels in a large bowl of water with a big block of tofu at the bottom.

Damn, I was very excited there for a moment  Slipgate - Sad
Rofl :ph34r:
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-04, 07:20 »

lol  Very insightful.  I think my favorite part of the article had to be the last statement...

"One final note on food: McDonald's has rolled out its new worldwide slogan here, 'I'm Lovin' It!' Good slogan, but not perfect for the Japanese marketplace, as it often comes out, 'I'm Rubbin' It!'"

This article actually reminds me of two things...
One is for the CC board and the other is I remember watching a news blurb or documentary on weird cusine.

This particular cuisine in Japan is quite dangerous actually.  Live scorpions (can't remember which breed, but pick a particularly posoinous one,) are heated in a dish just enough so that they're fairly riled up.  In the center of a dish is some type of sauce that you pick the scorpions up with your chopsticks and then dip them in.  In order to safely eat them, the restaurant recommended that you bite off their tail first and then chew them. lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: