2024-04-20, 04:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SADDAM HUSSEIN CAPTURED! (At least, we hope it's him)  (Read 35862 times)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #20 on: 2003-12-15, 05:58 »

I wont deny the american goverment has made mistakes in its foreign policy (not removing Saddam in the first gulf war being one of them) but removing the bath party from Iraq was not one of them. I would have prefered the goverment just out and said "Saddam is a tyrant so were getting rid of him" but of course it didnt happen like that. It will take time but i really believe Iraq has a better future now than it did a year ago that is my justifcation for the war and i dont need the "international comunity" to agree with me.

That was less the fault of the US than the fault of the UN. A global order based on sovereignty cannot be allowed to exist since it weighs the existance of politicians over and above the existence of the people. A global order based on universal human rights is what is required

If it were as simple as to say that life will improve for the Iraqi people as a result of this action I'd jump on board, but as Dubya has said the US doesn't send troops into places where it doesn't have a national interest. Afghanistan is a place where the US did not have any national interest, it was attacked out of retribution and national security, you can expect it to get better in Afghanistan because a foreign invader has no interest in exploiting the country (what are you gonna do steal sand).

There was a German sociologist by the name of Max Weber who came up with a few models of ethics. One was the one I believe in, the ethics of ultimate ends, being that you do what is right even if it sometimes goes wrong, you learn and continue doing the right thing. The other is what most international politics is based on, the ethics of reponsibility, that you do what will produce the best results for your interests, if that sometimes has good results great if not, oh well. Iraq is an example of the latter.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2003-12-15, 06:23 »

Despite the fact that it was the UN that decided Saddam should not be removed from power after the first gulf war the united states had an ethical obligation to ignore them on which we failed. It would have been like beating Japan in WWII and leaving Hirohito and Tojo in charge. We had an moral obligation to do what we knew was right inspite of what was politically convenient and thats why it was our fault UN or not.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #22 on: 2003-12-15, 06:40 »

Except you weren't there in the first place because of ethnical concern for the people of Iraq, but to ensure stable production of oil by the people of Kuwait who were drilling on an angle into Iraqi territory

The UN is broken, not going to hear any differing views on that from me, but the only way to fix it is unacceptable for the US. The Rome Charter remains unsigned, which would solve this whole problem
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #23 on: 2003-12-15, 14:02 »

just cause he industrialised the country doesnt mean the country got better cause of that..
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2003-12-15, 18:02 »

How exactly does it not?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2003-12-15, 19:23 »

pho , ib your first post .

1) I dont like people like bush because . he went to war , without asking his people for advise .  half the world was against it

2)he was throwing with fals documents to our heads .

3) why would he go to war after all those years

4)he wants to make another continent a better place while his own ground isnt even  a good place to live .

5)cant they see that the people of there dont want americans there ( dear god , americans are just slaughtert back there 1 by 1 )

6) so the irakees people cant do dead penalty anymore . and you guys in texas still can .
nice democratie man .( with this I want to ad , first improve yourself before you improve sombody else )

7)so saddam murdered a couple of people he .
how many lives did your precious war take he . and how many people havent ya boycotted because they where against it .

Slipgate - Cool dear god people ,
stop thinking you did something good , your just as wurse as saddam .
Bush is like a wolf in sheepclothes .

9) if bush really wants to do war , cant he just play desert combot or quake 3 or something .

10) how the hell did he actually won th elections . en when are the next elections ?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #26 on: 2003-12-15, 19:45 »

Quote from: games keeper

1) I dont like people like bush because . he went to war , without asking his people for advise .  half the world was against it

4)he wants to make another continent a better place while his own ground isnt even  a good place to live .

5)cant they see that the people of there dont want americans there ( dear god , americans are just slaughtert back there 1 by 1 )

6) so the irakees people cant do dead penalty anymore . and you guys in texas still can .
nice democratie man .( with this I want to ad , first improve yourself before you improve sombody else )

how many lives did your precious war take he . and how many people havent ya boycotted because they where against it .

9) if bush really wants to do war , cant he just play desert combot or quake 3 or something .

10) how the hell did he actually won th elections . en when are the next elections ?
If I understood this, I would post about it.
But I don't, so I won't.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #27 on: 2003-12-15, 22:40 »

I am with dna on this one
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2003-12-16, 02:09 »

I've managed to learn how to read his writing, to a degree anyway. :blink:

Quote from: games keeper

1) I dont like people like bush because . he went to war , without asking his people for advise .  half the world was against it

Leaders tend to do that, be they right or wrong.  Besides, he did get support from the Congress.  

http://hnn.us/articles/1282.html

Not only that, The United Nations authorized use of force long before the war was launched.  I recommend these links for the full text of what the UN said:

http://www.caabu.org/press/documents/unscr...lution-687.html
http://www.caabu.org/press/documents/unscr...lution-678.html
http://www.caabu.org/press/documents/unscr...ution-1441.html

As far as "half the world" being against it "half the world" was against the allied powers in World War II as well.  It depends on which side your half is on, does it not?

Got a list of those documents?  Or are you referring to the BRITISH intelligence documents that the US was told were authentic?

The September 11th attack on the World Trade Center comes to mind...

4)he wants to make another continent a better place while his own ground isnt even  a good place to live .

Do YOU live in the USA?  No?  Then how do you know it isn't a good place to live?  Why do people keep immigrating TO the USA instead of emigrating OUT from it?  I see no mass exodus from the USA.  Where are you getting this information that the USA is a bad place to live?

Oh no, the poor Americans are getting slaughtered 1 by 1!  I have yet to see the media print the enemy casualty statistics.  I'm sure it's more than "1 by 1".  If the Iraqis, and I mean the MAJORITY of Iraqis didn't want US troops in Iraq it would be more than a soldier here and there and a bombing here and there.  Practically the entire COUNTRY is armed with assault rifles or at least some kind of small arms, as is common in the Middle East.  It would be a bloodbath, which it is not.  Every report I hear from the field shows the Iraqis are quite favorable for the US to finish the job they started.  Do they want the Americans out?  Yes, but the majority does not the US to leave right away.  I can dig up some facts on this too if you like.

I saw the news briefing where Saddam was caught.  They were chanting, in Arabic, "DEATH TO SADDAM HUSSEIN!"  The death penalty has NOT been ruled out, either.  Trust me, the Iraqis want to hang this guy or worse.[/color]

A COUPLE of people?  Try a few hundred THOUSAND people.  300,000 that they believe they know about, God knows how many more that nobody ever will.  As for the US taking lives, civilian casualties are a fact of war.  They CANNOT be avoided.  The US went out of its way to use expensive precision munitions to SPARE civilian lives.  If the US wanted just a quick victory it could have turned ALL of Iraq into a nice flat sea of glass with a few hydrogen bombs.  If you can think of a way to fight a war without killing people I'm all ears for it, but until then people are going to die.  Period.

So you're saying the world would have been better off with Saddam left in power?  The last time I checked Bush gave Saddam many, many months warning to comply with the UN resolutions that SADDAM AGREED TO, or they would be forcefully implemented.  Saddam, if the situation were reversed, would have given no warning, and given no mercy.

I would hope people would understand that wars and video games are two different things.

The next election is November 2004.  Bush won the election because the votes in Florida tallied in his favor, despite recount after recount of "questionable" ballots in Democrat controlled counties.  The electoral college system used by the United States dictated that he won.  Whether you agree with it or not, or think he "stole" the election, the tangible result of the process is that George W. Bush is the President of the United States of America.  Now, you can hate Bush, or America all you want, and you can bash what the US is trying to do in Iraq all you want, but there is one concrete result from this:  Saddam Hussein is no longer in power, is no longer on the run, and WILL NEVER oppress the Iraqis again.

Whether you like what the US is doing or not, it's done.  Arguing about moral justification and second guessing motives will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of this.  I would invite you to sit back and see how things play out, instead of criticizing and attacking US foreign policy without a factual base to support your criticisms.  The world is full of conspiracy theories, half-truths, and misconceptions.  They say the truth is the first casualty in any war.  That doesn't mean it's always the US government pulling the trigger to send the assassin's bullet.  Paranoid rantings, rumors, and hatemongering among people in general manage to do a good enough job of it on their own.  In the US justice system you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.  I find it interesting that the intentions of any govenment or leadership figure is guilty until proven even more guilty.  I for one am going to just observe the events as they unfold, and draw conclusions once they are worth drawing.  Feel free to continue to debate this at will. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #29 on: 2003-12-16, 03:08 »

Actually acording to a an article i read in the sanfrancisco chronicle shortly before the war began the figure that saddam killed was more like 3,000,000 since he originally took power.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #30 on: 2003-12-16, 03:13 »

O.O

Wow!
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2003-12-16, 06:26 »

Got a list of those documents? Or are you referring to the BRITISH intelligence documents that the US was told were authentic?

Either way the US presented them as truth, those trucks turned out to be making artilery ballons, there was never any uranium in niger and the links between Saddam and Bin Laden were exaggerated to the extreme (in fact in 92 Bin Laden sent a letter to Bush Sr. asking to assassinate Saddam in exchange for no invasion of Iraq, since he didn't want infadels on his soil

Not only that, The United Nations authorized use of force long before the war was launched

Yes and no, the documents say by any means necessary to disarm iraq, and if the WMD aren't there, which so far is the truth, then the use of force was no authorized since Iraq HAD disarmed. I'm not saying the UN was right but the arguement is a flawed one

The September 11th attack on the World Trade Center comes to mind...

Which is why the Afghani war was a just war and the Iraqi war was not a just war.

Where are you getting this information that the USA is a bad place to live?

Ask the homeless, rather than spending 33% of the US federal budget you could most likely do something about that. The US is not a bad place to live, but even you can admit improvements can be made

Practically the entire COUNTRY is armed with assault rifles or at least some kind of small arms, as is common in the Middle East. It would be a bloodbath, which it is not. Every report I hear from the field shows the Iraqis are quite favorable for the US to finish the job they started.

Thats not just the Middle East, that's been the Status Quo since the 1500 in most places. As Machavelli remarked no leader ever sucessfully disarmed his poplous. So I agree many do not have an unfavorable view of the US, the time they do is when they break down their doors (when they could just as easily ask to come in and search and under Muslim tradition they'd HAVE TO let them in). They will soon start looking like new occupiers if they don't finnish quickly and leave.

So you're saying the world would have been better off with Saddam left in power? The last time I checked Bush gave Saddam many, many months warning to comply with the UN resolutions that SADDAM AGREED TO, or they would be forcefully implemented.

No WMD found, therefore he did comply... therefore the war was started under false pretenses

Whether you like what the US is doing or not, it's done. Arguing about moral justification and second guessing motives will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of this.

And here's where the final difference of opinion occurs. It has a great effect on the outcome because its not done, its not over. The toppling of Saddam has occured, but the motives were not the right motives and those motives will determine whether or not the Bush administration ends up exploiting or aiding the Iraqi people
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2003-12-16, 06:43 »

By "done" I didn't mean it was over, merely that the course is irreversible.  As for the WMD's, the UN said they were there, so did just about everyone else in the world back in the 1990's.  Either every intelligence agency in the entire world had faulty info, Saddam actually did destroy the weapons, or the worst case scenario - they still exist and someone else has them.  Perhaps we'll never know.  I hope we don't find out in the wrong manner at a later time.  We all know he had them during the Iran-Iraq war.  We all know he used them on the Kurds after the Gulf War.  It is a dangerous assumption to make if one chooses to believe they no longer exist without having adequate proof of their destruction.  I pray that all the naysayers to the war are right and the weapons really DON'T exist.  The alternative is not a pleasant option to contemplate.

As for the war being "just", I've found that real justice rarely follows the rules and ideals of men.  It is far too easy to deal out judgement from safe places regarding matters that do not touch one's life directly.  Let the Iraqis decide whether or not it was just.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #33 on: 2003-12-16, 07:07 »

In the 1990s yes, and they were there, the US knew that because they along with the French, Soviets, Chinese and Germans helped supply them with those weapons. 2002 was a considerably different story, Hanz Blix said before the shooting started that he believed that the weapons were likely destroyed, yet the US invaded anyway. Hell, even Saddam himself recently said that the weapons were destroyed, although its not the most credible source, but the man has little to lose by saying so at this point.

I'll reiterate one thing, if Bush came out and supported this action on the basis of Human Rights not the utter raping of Iraq's natural resources, I would be behind him. But as with most politicians he lied to justify his actions and then covered up the lie with rhetoric about human rights that had no follow through. THATS the problem

As for letting the Iraqis decide, that's doubtful since an open trial would embarrass most of the international community, and its really hard to let a people decide while they are still having guns pointed at them by one side or the other.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #34 on: 2003-12-16, 15:05 »

This thread isnt about motives of the war, it is about Saddams capture, the whole motive argument has been worn out by all sides, in truth I am tired of hearing about why or why not, on the war. So lets try to get back on topic before it becomes a flame war.

So Saddam has been captured, now what happens to him?  Where should he be tried at?  Who should try him?  What do we do to prevent retailitory actions because of his capture?  What should he be charged with?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #35 on: 2003-12-16, 15:45 »

im willing to concede there may have been no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq but others should be willing to concede Saddam had alot of time and advanced warning to hide or sell them off if he did infact have them.
 Really lets stop pretending that there would be any set of circumstances or evidence that would have convinced those opposed to the war to support it. Sure you could argue that there was support for the war in afghanistan because were attacked first but even then there were protests all of the world. While most goverments of the world were officially supportive of that effort you still had social groups and politcal comentators from europe and the middle east calling it "petty" and "racist" so lets not pretend a good cause for the war would have gotten it support.
  After a few years now i am extremly tired of war. I spent  8 months fearing a folded American flag would show up at my sister in laws doorstep to tell her and my 2 year old niece that my brother was dead. I am how ever pleased extremely pleased that Saddam was removed from power and if you cant see the good in that than i proubly wont lose any sleep over it.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-16, 16:08 by Woodsman » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2003-12-16, 20:47 »

Saddam had alot of time and advanced warning to hide or sell them off if he did infact have them.

Uhhh, that was the point remember? Saddam was simply not supposed to have them. If he didn't have them, and wasn't producing them, then there was no reason to disarm him since there was nothing to disarm him of. That was the justification for which you went to war. Pre-Emptive Strike Doctrine requires two points, one is those WMD the second is that there is an imminent threat. So far neither of those were met

Really lets stop pretending that there would be any set of circumstances or evidence that would have convinced those opposed to the war to support it.

As an opponent of the war I've given you the circumstances that would convinced me to support the war

Sure you could argue that there was support for the war in afghanistan because were attacked first but even then there were protests all of the world.

Yes but they weren't in the millions like the anti-Iraq protests. For the most part people saw Afghanistan as justified because it was a defensive war, Iraq on the other hand with its complete lack of WMD and large quantities of oil was not seen as a defensive war but as a brutal act of imperialism by a declining empire that had overstretched itself over they years and had its economy fluster

While most goverments of the world were officially supportive of that effort you still had social groups and politcal comentators from europe and the middle east calling it "petty" and "racist" so lets not pretend a good cause for the war would have gotten it support.

Notice how you said most governments. Politicians around the world are a conglomerate of liars, manipulators and thieves, i see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be supportive when their public is not. There were only two countries that had supported the war where the polls showed INITIALLY that there was support for the war, the UK and the US.  It was both petty and racist, since I don't see the US getting involved in helping human rights in Africa these days... oh yeah I forgot the commander and chief said we can only help protect human rights in places where the US has a national interest, so those africans better start finding oil under their tundras or else they aren't going to get  any help.

I do see the good, but I am not blinded by the realities surrounding it. You got a good result out of an evil act, but don't expect the good to last that long if your initiall intentions were not
« Last Edit: 2003-12-16, 20:52 by Devlar » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #37 on: 2003-12-16, 21:03 »

In a nutshell, we did the right thing for the wrong reasons. Correct?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #38 on: 2003-12-16, 22:51 »

I think the whole point about the WMD was not that we couldn't prove he had them, he couldn't prove he got rid of them.  That's how it was justified to me anyway, and that's good enough.
If I was bound by treaty to dismantle my WMD, I would make damn sure I recorded it neatly to show everybody.   Or at least do a decent job of lying.
Also, the acts of aggression, like trying to shoot down American patrol planes (legal to be there as per before mentioned treaty), would make me think a war was justified.
The only question in my mind about it is why did we wait so long?
Just some rambling thoughts - not really here to participate, but just felt like saying something.
I don't think I'd argue that there wasn't any self-interest going on here though, but if the right results were acheived, I guess I don't care why it happened.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #39 on: 2003-12-16, 23:51 »

I think the whole point about the WMD was not that we couldn't prove he had them, he couldn't prove he got rid of them. That's how it was justified to me anyway, and that's good enough.

So the international community has to start working on proving a negative? Hell at that point I'd ask that the United States proves that it is not abusing human rights, if not, the rest of the world should be able to invade them! Not everyone in the world keeps great records of their crimes like the Nazis

In a nutshell, we did the right thing for the wrong reasons. Correct?

We got a good result from a bad act
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: