2024-03-29, 14:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations CTF (An idea for all you Map Whores)  (Read 7668 times)
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« on: 2003-12-20, 20:50 »

I was to see a map pack with classic CTF maps from the past.

-McKinnley Revival
-Some Earth Map thingy (possibly look at Urban Terror for inspiration)
-The Gauntlet from DooM would make a good CTF
-There was a Castle map in Q1 (what's that called?) Good map, it would make a great remake.
-Maybe make a version of "The Doom That Came to Dunwich" for CTF.

Beer? I'm down.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-20, 21:40 »

Already have one done, with a lot of old-school maps, including Mckinley and Wizard's Manse, Slipgate - Wink

We'll be releasing it sometime in the next few weeks.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-20, 23:32 »

Quote from: DaMan McDeth 666
-Some Earth Map thingy
I do plan on creating a simple CTF version of Hans Grosse's level (e1m9), assuming I ever figure out a decent weapon layout for the normal version (a lightning gun and a mega health just isn't enough, hehe)...
« Last Edit: 2003-12-20, 23:33 by dev/null » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-23, 03:28 »

Quote from: dev/null
I do plan on creating a simple CTF version of Hans Grosse's level (e1m9), assuming I ever figure out a decent weapon layout for the normal version (a lightning gun and a mega health just isn't enough, hehe)...
That was a hint for suggestions, you know Slipgate - Tongue
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-23, 18:56 »

Play Doom 2, map 32.  Just do "idclev 32".  There are two secrets:  One is in the usual spot for the Grosse man, the other is in the same place on the opposite wall.  "Use" the four end columns as well, and see what's under them.  That might provide some ideas anyway.

Now, my take on this would be to have the Grosse area either replicated as each base's flag room, with the flag in the "exit" area, or else to have it as the main junction hall between the two bases.  If done as the Grosse areas as each base, then I'd use the initial entry area as the main entrance junction, and use the secret areas to connect through to an alternate path so there's more than one entrance.  If you use it as the main corridor then you'll have to get creative on the bases.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-23, 19:29 »

A flag room with a single entrance is usually a bad idea for a CTF map. It makes defense insanely easy. A single defender could wipe out entire squads. Imagine a small, narrow hallway defended by a single Doomer with a plasmagun. Ouch.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-23, 20:07 »

to make it  a bit better , lay a quad or something usefull in the middle area .
and maybe limit the bfg shots a bit , this only affects arena anyway   Sipgate - Evil
« Last Edit: 2003-12-23, 20:13 by games keeper » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-23, 20:38 »

What, can't GK keep up with the Arena BFG?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-23, 23:07 »

Play Doom 2, map 32. Just do "idclev 32". There are two secrets: One is in the usual spot for the Grosse man, the other is in the same place on the opposite wall. "Use" the four end columns as well, and see what's under them. That might provide some ideas anyway.

I have. Honestly, I didn't think anyone would like to play a map like that. But if you guys do, that wouldn't be too hard. Of course, it'd be a Doom remake then  Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2003-12-23, 23:07 by dev/null » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-24, 12:36 »

ofcours i like the map , its almost like a true arena , an open field , a bit of cover .

reminds me a bit of the matrix scene , whee they fight al those heavy armed cops .
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-24, 16:54 »

If it twas me, I'd use the Grosse area as the junction hall between the two bases... it's long, provides some cover via the pillars, etc etc. Now the bases, I dunno... I'm not very good at CTF designs and such, so that'd be up to you.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: