2024-04-19, 08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mad Cow Disease (It's herrreeeeee....)  (Read 12544 times)
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #20 on: 2003-12-28, 19:10 »

*Rolls eyes*  I'm going to stop harping on this.  Y'all know what I think.  *Offers a big plate of medium rare prime rib to l4mby*
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #21 on: 2003-12-28, 19:14 »

mmmm ... PRIME RIB ! *takes it and offers half to DW* Hehehe.

I'm pretty much on the same lines as DW, so I don't really have much to say. *shrug*
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #22 on: 2003-12-28, 19:50 »

yeha, if you actually read up on BSE and (v)CJD..

It's only communicable from NEURAL TISSUE.. so unless you're eating an infected cow's brain.. you're probably okay.

i was reading up on vCJD, the version of the disease gotten from eating mad cow stuff, and it has an incubation period of up to 40 years, but seems like quite a bad way to go...

The initial stage of the disease can be subtle with ambiguous symptoms of insomnia, depression, confusion, personality and behavioral changes, strange physical sensations, and problems with memory, coordination and sight. As the disease advances, the patient experiences a rapidly, progressive dementia and in most cases, involuntary and irregular jerking movements known as myoclonus. Problems with language, sight, muscular weakness, and coordination worsen. The patient may appear startled and become rigid. In the final stage of the disease, the patient loses all mental and physical functions. The patient may lapse into a coma and usually dies from an infection like pneumonia precipitated by the bedridden, unconscious state.
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #23 on: 2003-12-28, 21:57 »

Woot!  *Applauds Dicion*  Finally, someone who actually takes the time to look this stuff up!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2003-12-28, 21:59 »

bah , as long as it doesnt happen the way it happens in belgium its no problem  .
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #25 on: 2003-12-30, 21:22 »

Quote from: Dicion

It's only communicable from NEURAL TISSUE.. so unless you're eating an infected cow's brain.. you're probably okay.

Wel.. as long as we're reading up on it, it is also communicatable by spinal tissue (which is really neural tissue, I know).  Not a big deal for most people as spinal tissue usually isn't eaten.  Usually.  Unless you buy lots of that preformed hamburger.  
There's that little machine in the processing  (excuse me, killing) plants called the stripper that goes along and strips all the meat that humans are unable to cut away with their knives.  So?  So they feed the spine in there as well.  I don't think they aim for the spinal cord, but you know...  If you knick a little here and knick a little there, no big deal Slipgate - Wink  But there's you're cause for mad cow disease in humans.  As I understand it, cooking doesn't stop this (but I'm not for certain).
Of course that's easy to avoid by getting your meat locally from the corner butcher shop who doesn't employ such butchering (killing) methods as that
Anyway, I'm not too worried about it either, but I just wanted to throw that in to stir the pot a little Slipgate - Tongue

I have no idea what GK was trying to say.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: