2024-04-18, 10:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unreal II (Anyone interested?)  (Read 18116 times)
redx

Imp

« Reply #20 on: 2003-02-06, 01:46 »

allright, dont know about that. all i remember is when id was bragging about 64 player dm in quake 2. and yeah the alpha has some very unfinished death match. im just going on what carmack said on the subject. 4 player dm and co-op.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #21 on: 2003-02-06, 02:53 »

I thought it was stated that Doom III would NOT have co-op at all?
« Last Edit: 2003-02-06, 03:16 by dev/null » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2003-02-06, 07:20 »

Id's official description of Doom III's multiplayer is that it will be limited to NO MORE than 4 players.  The complexity of the gaming environment dictated that they had to go back to the old Doom-style synchronous peer-to-peer network environment.  There is just too much that is changeable in the game world to run a client-server scheme.  Also the fact that there IS so much data that has to be kept in sync between one computer and the next limits it to 4 for several reasons.  first, each computer has to tell ALL the other computers what is going on.  So you have each computer broadcasting entity data to 3 other clients, at the same time RECEIVING entity data from 3 other clients.  As much stuff as you're supposed to be able to do to the gaming world in Doom 3, complex player physics and animations synced to movement (feet touching the floor for real-life walking, sound generation, etc, as an example) that's dicey even on a LAN unless you have some pretty beefy systems.  To each computer added beyond that you have that much more information for the game to handle from other systems.  There comes a point where it's no longer realistic to do this.  So... unless the network code is within the open part of the source code so that someone ELSE (modders) can work a client-server scheme with a simpler environment for deathmatch it's going to be a simultaneous 4 client max on a LAN for ANY form of Doom III multiplayer unless something serious gives between now and release.  On an upnote, we've got Doom deathmatch right here in Gen, so there will be the best of both worlds.  Deathmatch and coop (eventually in Resurgence) in Generations, and the best single-player creepness and visuals in the upcoming Doom 3.  What could be better? Slipgate - Laugh

As for Unreal II, I'm reserving judgement on that.  Visually I'm sure it will be spectacular, but the style of mission-based gameplay that so far I've read about sounds more suited to a flight-style game as opposed to an FPS.  I did like Unreal's visuals and the feeling that you were "dropped into an alien world" where you maneuvered an entire landscape instead of just military base after military base and sewer system after sewer system like we're used to seeing.  I didn't really like the weapons that much, they felt underpowered against the Skaarj and enemies could have been a tad more common.  I'll just have to wait and see.  I know I won't be paying $50 for it though.  I'll wait until it comes way down in price, same as I did with Q3.  Slipgate - Tongue

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #23 on: 2003-02-06, 07:31 »

/me has horrible flash-backs to Grand Theft Auto 2's laggy (but fun) multiplayer
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2003-02-06, 18:33 »

then your never gonna love my trick of giving a bombed car to my opponent
because man then you cant play the next 2 minutes dev its a (WAAAAAAY TO BIG explosion )

about sof 2 yes they did say it wasnt gonna have multiplayer at all.
and yes the first 1 had wAAAY better weapons then sof 2 (rocketlauncher and mpg )and im still missing hat flamer from sof 2 .

also some gamethings are better in sof 1 like
getting shot in the leg will make you slow till you ind some health.
you saw if your enemy was wearing armor or isn't (armor was yelow colored)
the zoom on the sof 1 sniper was waaay better.

with the special 1 and 2 button you could  do special tricks with your weapon .

in ctf you still found weapons  on the ground

and so on
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #25 on: 2003-02-06, 21:29 »

What kind of retards do you play with games keeper? Giving bombed cars to enenies, geeze...

Anyways, I think Soldier of Fortune was superior to 2 in just about every way (except visuals).
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-02-07, 08:23 »

In order to lay this all to rest: Unreal 2 is a fun singleplayer game. The story, while not gripping, still has some oomph to it. They threw in a plot-twist that pissed me off mildly, but it was well done, it just didn't end the way I wanted it to :b.

As for the graphics, I'd give it a solid 9.5. Couple issues here and there, primarily compatibility, but otherwise very good all around except for some clipping/culling on your translucent pilot.

The Skaarj don't play as big a role as you'd think, but you get a nice high diversity in things to shoot at and drool over. The guns are the most fun I've seen in a single-player in some time. At any rate.. *ninjapoofgone*  :ph34r:

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2003-02-07, 18:42 »

I have to say dev that I also like  the rgm maps and the new gamemods .
 infiltration and demolition .
those maps are also much more realistic. but hell in deathmatch you can carry  a whole arsenal of more then 0 weapons on your back.
wich was much better in sof 1 if you played realistic where you had to trow a weapon away so you could take another .

anyway dev the point is that there is much gonna be added to doom before and after its gonna be released.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #28 on: 2003-02-08, 20:09 »

I just finished Unreal 2! The graphics are nice, but as for the story/missions... well, not to say it sucks, but it's like every game has the same story (well, something like that)... and what's more, you don't get to fight a lot of Skraaj this time...  Slipgate - Sad

And the weapons are totally different from the UT 2003... I can't see which weapons looks identical to each of it...

But overrall, it's still a nice game to play. Slipgate - Smile
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: