2024-04-17, 00:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: striking lightning (striking lightning on enemies)  (Read 7669 times)
abenny

« on: 2004-01-10, 03:58 »

Please in my mod i want to strike ligthning on the enemies from the sky. how do I do this?
thank you
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-10, 04:58 »

It's general courtesy to introduce yourself before making requests.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-10, 05:04 »

he introduced himself in the chat room pretty well

What he wants to do is make a weapon that calls down lightning strikes on the enemy
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-10, 12:37 »

so basicly he wants the q1 lightning to shoot  from the sky down to earth whee there is a player . and the lightning gun may not shoot longer hen a second.
not a bad idea .think hexen 2 had something like that in 1 of the levels  B)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-10, 12:51 »

It is mod dependant, your mod has to support it, I make maps mostly for pkarena where I have made traps where a player gets zapped big time when picking up important items like the quad,  but it is made with a shooter_lightning entity that is supported by pkarena, but does not work at all in vanilla quake for example.

An example would be to place  a Quad in a map, in the properties:
Key: target
Value: Quadtest
Then make a shooter_lightning in the sky, just make any entity, say a weapon_gaunlet, and in the properties change classname to shooter_lighning,  this is because I don't think you'll see shooter_entity normally in radiant. Then in the properties of the shooter lighning:

Key: Targetname
Value: Quadtest
Key: enemy
Value: 1
This should give you a Quad with a target "quadtest" and a shooter_lightning with a targetname "quadtest" and an enemy "1" properties, and next time an unsuspecting fool picks it up, his arse gets zapped. You can also use this with a target delay entity, so the fool thinks he's safe and half a second later (or whatever you set it to) he gets zapped.

Like I said, it works only if your mod supports shooter_lighning and "enemy 1". In Pkarena it works, if ya want I can point out a couple of maps that sports this trap, such as our own version of Chithon and Q1Start.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-10, 22:05 »

Well that should be no problem you could make a trigger_multiple and target several shooter_lightening. however in gen you can make the shooters "target" an enemy tho i don't know if you can do that with shooter_lightening or with the shaft.. Ask pho about that.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-11, 00:00 »

I tried to make the lightning shooter work in gen, and couldn't, I had to actually make two versions of the map, one without the shooter that I could play in generations. I think it may have to do with the actually mod code, cause in pkarena the lighning "hooks" all players in range, tha's why is called CHAINlightning gun, and that's kinda how the shooter works, is not  the regular "blue" lightning of the regular lightning gun, but the green one from our weapon.

I would've loved to make a BFG shooter :-)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-11, 01:57 »

You can make a BFG shooter.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-11, 07:59 »

I'm working on the shooter SDK as we speak.

In normal Quake 3 the only shooter types available are plasma, rocket, and grenade shooters.  In Generations you can make shooters for just about every conceivable weapon in the game, from blasters to BFG's and then some.  Shooters CAN target players and do many other things.  If anyone's working on a Generations map and needs shooter info ahead of time just let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Now regarding abenny's question about how to make a "weapon" to call lightning from the sky on someone, that's more complex and goes into coding.  The simple explanation is to just trigger damage on the player being "attacked" from a point above them to their origin point on the server, and on the client render a lightning trail from above them to their origin point.  In short, spawn the lightning bolt from somewhere other than the muzzle of a player's gun.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: