2024-04-25, 17:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-tolerance (why?)  (Read 8663 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-01-03, 07:13 »

Why do so many people flip out the moment they hear anything to do with Christianity? You so much as metion God and you have hordes of people jumping down your throat.

Does no one have an open mind anymore? Are people so set in their beliefs (or lack thereof) that they can not rationally discuss this topic? That they cannot enjoy a movie (such as Bruce Almighty) simply because he deals with God? This is a trend I've noticed far and wide across the internet and in real life.

I'm a Christian, and yet I can sit through movies dealing with witchcraft, the occult, pagan gods, and magic without feeling the least bit offended. I can enjoy those movies, and recommed them to others as quality entertainment. My favorite form of entertainment is Fantasy novels. The fact that others cannot enjoy these things just blows my mind.

Learn some tolerance people.

I originally posted this on Shacknews.com, in their comments section. Within 15 minutes it had 56 replies, many of which were very very good.

Here is the link: http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=9132958
« Last Edit: 2004-01-03, 07:57 by ConfusedUs » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-03, 09:56 »

I think the real reason everyone is upset about Bruce Almighty is because Jim Carrie sucks. He always has and always will. He's not funny, yet everyone tries to fool themselves into thinking that he is. It is very much the same condition which causes people to continuously watch Adam Sandler flicks. Comedians who need to go through Special Ed again, with tired old skits, that's what is praised as "entertainment" today. If you want someone who is actually funny, I suggest you check out Greg Proops Slipgate - Wink

On second though, perhaps the anger has developed from the revelation that your god is black...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-03, 11:28 »

I really don't care, because I know that everyone being unique, has an equally unique idea of what God is (generalizations from various Religons set aside). Many popular religons' underlying lesson is the prosperity of humanity and the harmony of people (thou shalt not kill, steal and all that mumbo jumbo), so as long as people act with humanity's benefit in mind, it doesn't matter how they believe to me.  :blink:
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-03, 12:47 »

You know, all my life I've been wondering the answer to this one.  I can't really tell you why it's such a touchy issue with so many people, but it is.  I think a lot of the problems stem from humanity's desire to have a straight yes or no answer (and also the desire to place blame and praise.)  By following a set of rules and ethics, people feel comfortable and praiseworthy.  Over time, this comfort becomes the "truth" and how their lives are lived out on a daily basis.  When people with different beliefs come along, the regularity of the current belief system a person has in use is interrupted.  This interruption seems "wrong" because of how comfortable the person in question is with their way of life.  That and humanity tends to fear what it doesn't understand and what little humanity does understand, they try to classify and label it.

Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-03, 14:48 »

Quote from: dev/null
I think the real reason everyone is upset about Bruce Almighty is because Jim Carrie sucks. He always has and always will. He's not funny, yet everyone tries to fool themselves into thinking that he is.
I'm sorry, but Jim Carrey is one of the funniest actors alive and many people very much enjoy watching his movies. The fact that you don't share the same kind of humor changes nothing.

In the end it's all a matter of taste, but you can't say that an actor sucks when he attracts such a large audience.

Sorry for taking this off-topic.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-03, 16:32 »

Jim Carrey has 'funny ways', that doesn't nescessarily make him a good actor. The only movie out there proving to me he has some acting talent, is The Truman Show, basically the only Carrey movie that I really liked, coincidentally :]
On another note, for me no amount of people liking something will prove anything. Tons of people are in love with Frans Bauer, but I will NEVER consider that lad good at anything. Except perhaps making money.

Bruce Almighty was sort of fun (although no movie that features dogs taking a dump on a real toilet deserves to be called that). But it got nowhere as much critique as Smith's Dogma. The director got loads of death threats. For me, it just goes to show how much of the people on this earth are basically unfit to do anything but weep, moan, whine and cry. And if they are the 'true believers', then beliefs are overrated ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-03, 17:05 »

i personally am not offended by bruce allmighty because the mention of god dose not imply one specific religion. so even if it was mocking one im having a hard time telling which one it is.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-03, 17:14 »

hell..im atheist i dun care about any of that ish  Thumbs up!
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-04, 02:41 »

Yes Tabun, Dogma was pretty good. It would have been much better without the inclusion of Jay and Silent Bob though...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-01-04, 06:55 »

Con:  Here's your answer, straight from Jesus:

Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

Mark 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Luke 21:17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

1 John 3:13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-01-04, 07:09 »

And they say there's nothing bad in the Bible. Thumbs up!
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2004-01-04, 07:49 »

You can hardly take the Bible as reference to this problem. For at the time, your kind was hated for far different reasons. Currently, people hate you because of the extremists who censor television, attempt to ban "bad" things, and have generally sporked up the universe by proclaiming everyone and everything not deleted to be a heathen.
« Last Edit: 2004-01-04, 10:38 by Phoenix » Logged
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #12 on: 2004-01-04, 07:54 »

My 2 cents on the OT Jim Carrey thing:

Ace Ventura(I) and the still-underground High Strung are classics.  The Mask is good for what it is..I suppose.  Dumb and Dumber is the Farely's best (not saying much..but still). From there, all his movies have become stale and predictable (even for the comedy genre).  The Truman Show proved he couldn't do drama, and The Majestic was barely ok(Carrey was hardly that movies main problem).  

Overall funny, but needs to break the mold he created.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2004-01-04, 08:04 »

Oh! I did enjoy the Man On the Moon. Of course, Carrie was simply playing off of Andy Kaufmam's personality, which was actually humorous.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-01-04, 10:42 »

dev/null:  We do have certain rules on this forum, and on the boards in general, regarding the posting of things of a sexually explicit nature.  What I just deleted out of your post violated that rule, and many here would consider it insensitive, inflamatory, and deliberately offensive.  Show some respect and decency to what others revere or get off the message board.  Consider this a warning.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #15 on: 2004-01-04, 22:16 »

*blinks* umm ... k ?

1st of all, the majority sometimes only means that all the stupid ppl are on one side.

2nd, I personally love Dogma for its fun nature to poke fun at religion. I mean, seriously, it's not like he was saying, hey, this is the way it is, etc. Even if you are set in your beliefs, I still think that you should be open-minded to new ideas and listen to what others have to say. Sometimes ppl think the same but say it differently. How would you ever know if you never listened in the 1st place ?

This just makes me think of the preacher guys that used to come on the UNL campus and preach that everybody was going to hell b/c they went to classes and such. These ppl also said that they had never sinned, atheists should be crucified publicly and laughed at, told ppl how they should live their lives and video taped some of it. Personally, I've been damned to hell twice by these ppl. I just laughed. 1st time, I didn't do anything but walk by. 2nd time was b/c I compaired them to Hitler and the Nazi's. The guy got so flustered at what I was saying to him, he gave up and said, well, well, you're going to hell ! I said, fine, I'll see you there then and walked off. These are the ppl that bug me the most. Actually, the stopped showing up to campus after 9.11. They couldn't counter anything anybody had to say to them anymore. So they gave up.

I just think that today's world has become way too sensitive. You can't say anything w/o somebody having a problem w/ it. Just part of the way this messed up world works I spose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: