2024-03-29, 12:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How did the universe begin?  (Read 5480 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-01-08, 22:44 »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/08/g...find/index.html

I love seeing popular theories turned inside-out by the very data that people look for to try to support them.  Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-08, 23:17 »

Interesting, of course, it only proves wrong a few basic elements of the theory.
It hasnt destroyed it entirely.

But still, laughing at other peoples beliefs being disproved?
I wouldnt do that to you, or anyone.... ever.
Slipgate - Sad
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-08, 23:22 »

I dont see how this pokes fun at people, I like seeing theorys change, or be disproved.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-09, 02:56 »

Daedalus:  What I am amused by is the manner in which the current culture surrounding science takes certain theories as gospel truth and tends to ignore data that contradicts those theories, something that secularists tend to acuse the devout of doing.  It's the concept of ironic reversal.  You see, while science in principle attempts to remain objective in its analysis of information, human beings are anything but objective.  The "Big Bang" has sort of turned into the scientific world's version of a creation myth.  While religion makes no pretenses about what it is the "science culture" reflects many aspects of a religion that is in denial of itself.  How many people believe things to be true "because science said so" without ever questioning their validity?

In actuality this process of creating a theory and having it proven wrong and supplanted by a new theory has been going on as part of the scientific process for centuries.  This contradiction is amusing to me because I knew it was going to happen eventually.  It is absurdly arrogant to think that anyone can explain how and where this vast cosmos began and how it works based on a few decades of radiotelescope data.  What I take amusement at is watching the haughty brought low by the wonderous grandness that the universe is.  I do not mock people trying to understand the universe.  It is natural to wonder at it, and to explore it, and try to figure it out.  I am only mocking those who have convinced themselves that they have the answer already.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-11, 13:29 »

Ok, i just misinterpreted your post.... thanks for clearing that up
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-13, 16:02 »

Slipgate - Tongue Bah , evereone knows the earth is the center of the univers and that its flat , if you move to much to 1 direction you will fall of the earth  Slipgate - Tongue  Slipgate - Laugh
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-13, 16:57 »

hmmm, interesting..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-13, 19:04 »

Heheh, I always have a chuckle when someone's beliefs are disproven. Not out of malice, but merely because it adds to the general 'nothing makes sense' theory that I gladly support :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
MaxAstro

Imp

« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-28, 06:38 »

I find myself agreeing, again, with Phoenix.  Tabun also says it well.  I think in general, there are few things more entertaining then watching scientist trip over eachother "proving" and "disproving" theories left and right.  It's amazing how clueless some of our brightest minds actually are.

Take Spirit, the Mars lander, for example.  Seriously, I can understand overloading the hard-drive.  I do that occasionally myself.  But spending all that time not even being able to figure it out???

Speaking of NASA, funny (and true) story.

When NASA first began sending people up into space, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens don't function in zero gravity.  Having discovered this, they spent around 10 months and millions of taxpayer dollars, developing a pen that could write upside-down, in zero G, in temperatures from below freezing to way past boiling, and on any surface including glass.

The Russians used a pencil.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: