2024-04-18, 22:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RIAA swat teams? WTF?!  (Read 5559 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-01-09, 21:19 »

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/07/news-sullivan.php
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-09, 23:58 »

How lawful is that anyways? I dont see how it can be? Can it be called theft for what they do? Unlawful harrassment? Racism, due to the fact they claimed most the pirates were hispanic?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-10, 03:19 »

Quote from: Lilazzkicker
Unlawful harrassment? Racism, due to the fact they claimed most the pirates were hispanic?
I definitely feel it could be considered harassment.
The hispanic statement was in poor taste as well.

I'm glad that they're targetting those who pirate for profit, but I still think some type of checks and balances system needs to be implemented to make sure the RIAA doesn't take this "street" (police) approach too far.  The RIAA is essentialy acting like a gang and using "scare tactics" and intimidation.  Granted they're well-dressed and professional about it but so is any mafioso.  That's why I don't want to see them allowed as much freedom to do what they're doing or at least be monitored heavily by real law enforcement agencies.

I really love the last paragraph though...

"They tried to scare me," Borrayo said. "They told me, ?You?re a pirate!? I said, ?C?mon, guys, pirates are all at sea. I just work in a parking lot.? "
« Last Edit: 2004-01-10, 03:22 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-10, 03:33 »

I suppose suing wasn't good enough?  The RIAA has absolutely ZERO law enforcement authority granted to it.  They do not have the power to arrest or enact searches and siezures.  This is just another case of big government trampling on the civil rights of citizens.  The fourth amendment is completely meaningless anymore.  The founders of the US Constitution must be rolling in their graves about now.  This is the very sort of bullying they wanted to protect against.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-10, 15:11 »

they come into my house n they gonna get a sporking up  Sipgate - Evil  hehehee...
MaxAstro

Imp

« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-28, 06:49 »

"First and foremost, we're professionals."

*laughs quietly to self*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: