2024-04-27, 20:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena BFG  (Read 19099 times)
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #20 on: 2004-01-23, 21:19 »

IMO..i think it should be left as is..why change it? sure ppl are against it..but then ppl would complain that  it wouldnt be the same
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #21 on: 2004-01-23, 21:26 »

Omega - this was decided before Pho ever posted the poll.  No point in arguing.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-01-23, 22:45 »

From the votes I see so far it's 9 hate, 3 annoyed, 3 don't care, and 2 kind of ok.  Glad to see nobody likes it enough to camp it, at least, that's responded yet.  That's a 6 to 1 dislike ratio we have for it so far.

I see no real need to change the model physically.  The new effect will not interfere with the model, and besides, keeping a cvar means that server admins could have the original enabled so what's the point of that?  I'd end up having to cvar-swap weapon models around, and that's not a fun thing to try to code.  What we could do, on the other hand, would be to tweak a shader on it, perhaps remap the glow shader from blue to green when it's in the alternate BFG mode.  That way you know just by looking at it how it's going to function instead of waiting until you pop off a round to find out.

For anyone who thinks this weapon is not overbalanced, trust me on this. I tested the weapon with Tekhead 1 vs 1 on Bloodrun - High Octane several weeks ago.  Everyone who plays Gen knows we're both very difficult players to beat and can handle just about any weapon in the game.  No matter which one of us had the Q3 BFG the other guy COULD NOT KILL HIM.  This gun does nearly as much damage as the Q1 rocket launcher but fires four times faster and flies twice as fast.  Just point and spam and you're almost always guaranteed a kill.

As for the ammo concern, keep in mind that most times anyone ends up with a BFG on a non-BFG map is a dualgats drop by Earth.  Sure, this gives Arena 20 shots, but Doom or Strogg get ONE.  If you have a clumsy Earther dualgatting every chance he gets then odds are the guy with the Arena BFG is going to off him and pick up 20 more shots.  I saw this happen on Frag Pipe at last week's forum game.  This is a big part of the reason the weapon is overbalanced.  Since the ammo handling will change, then "sharing" ammo with the plasma gun is a thought.  Every other class that has a big gun shares ammo with another weapon, so we'll take that under consideration.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #23 on: 2004-01-23, 22:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
If you have a clumsy Earther dualgatting every chance he gets then odds are the guy with the Arena BFG is going to off him and pick up 20 more shots.
Hey! I resemble that comment!!!  :angry:
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-01-24, 02:37 »

The Arena BFG is annoying to me, somewhat, but doesn't feature much in the games I usually play. At least the projectiles are visible and can thus be dodged a bit, unlike the sliprockets which I shall keep complaining about till the day I die ;]

Ofcourse, turning the BFG into a .. real BFG which forces strategic use and skill, sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: 2004-01-24, 02:38 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2004-01-24, 12:20 »

If you have a clumsy Earther dualgatting every chance he gets then odds are the guy with the Arena BFG is going to off him and pick up 20 more shots
flamer al the way boys , ( exept when tabun is boosted up as strogg on armor , health and railgun  , then its time for dualgats with 300 bullets to back you up ..
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #26 on: 2004-01-25, 02:24 »

Though it is overpowered, I enjoy the Q3 BFG.  The best counter to any BFG is a few shots from the railgun(preferably from long range).
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2004-01-25, 04:19 »

Oh yeah, railgun, I'm sure Slippy and Doom will get right on that.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #28 on: 2004-01-25, 06:49 »

Perhaps I'm breaking the mould as being a NON-newb to say that to put all that effort into something like Gen to get each class as true to the original games as possible only to tamper with the weapon set from VQ3 would, in my opinion, be sacrilege. Don't get me wrong - I hate being on the wrong end of the Arena BFG with a passion, it IS a spam cannon, but it's part of Q3. I say leave it alone, or even have a DM flag to toggle it between VQ3 and something resembling the BFG in CPM.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-01-25, 06:57 »

We've resisted changing anything from q3 in the past for that very reason, but with the prevalance of the BFG in genArena games, a lot of us are fed up.

However, if we change the q3BFG, we will include a CVAR to change it back to its original spamcannon self
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-01-25, 08:17 »

Quote from: MantiCore
Though it is overpowered, I enjoy the Q3 BFG.  The best counter to any BFG is a few shots from the railgun(preferably from long range).
So it was you that voted 'call me a BFG camper'!

knew it Slipgate - Wink
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #31 on: 2004-01-25, 16:38 »

Quote from: Angst
Oh yeah, railgun, I'm sure Slippy and Doom will get right on that.
Actually, I'd expect Slippy to shoot some spam rockets and Doom to pull out his own BFG.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2004-01-25, 17:52 »

q3bfg > doombfg.

Anyone who says otherwise has never gone bfg vs bfg with a good arena player.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #33 on: 2004-01-26, 09:57 »

>So it was you that voted 'call me a BFG camper'!

>>knew it

I never knew the Arena BFG was a problem, as I rarely see others use it.  Doom seems to have the most popular BFG (though I still don't know how to use it)   Doom - Huh?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2004-01-26, 09:59 »

Check the "Demos" thead at the top.  I recorded an instructional demo for the BFG9000.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #35 on: 2004-01-26, 16:05 »

Quote from: Angst
q3bfg > doombfg.

Anyone who says otherwise has never gone bfg vs bfg with a good arena player.
Lol, since everybody here is better than me, it doesn't matter what weapon they use Slipgate - Tongue
JRock

« Reply #36 on: 2004-02-05, 22:28 »

I have yet to find a map with a BFG, but then I play Slipgater mostly so I guess I would miss them even if they were on a map. But the bots definitely never use a BFG that I've seen so I'm not sure what's up with that.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-02-05, 22:34 »

Slipgaters get a shaft in place of a BFG.

And bots WILL use a BFG if they can get to it.

Try typing /map red2m7 in the console. That'll start up our remake of Doom2 map07 (dead simple)

There's a BFG in a room on the outer edge of the map. You can't miss it.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2004-02-08, 00:10 »

last time I checked , bots never used bfgs , they rather switched to there melee weapon or something instead of BFGing  eachother .

( checked this on a bfg only map )
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #39 on: 2004-02-08, 02:17 »

well GK is correct, most bots doesnt use the BFG at all. but changing the weight in the bots weapon "weight"  file i think you can "convince" the bot to use them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: