2024-04-27, 18:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Railguns vs Nailguns (Which weapon?)  (Read 28302 times)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-02-03, 17:11 »

i cant believe im hearing a cry to make slipgater more powerful. your class has already destroyed the balance of the game be happy with that.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2004-02-03, 17:48 »

I don't think his idea is so much making slipgate more powerful, as it is rounding him out some. In Quake, it was all about the RL/shaft, anything else was just to piss people off, or as a ruse. I knew a number of people who'd use the instant-switch exploit between the sng and the rl. Spam some nails, and then BOOM, rocket to the face when they least expect it.

While I'm not against improving the nails, you have to realize, those rockets are absolutely EVIL.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2004-02-03, 19:12 »

balance - thats what i meant i suppose. yes the rocket is very powerful but it might be nice to balance the weapons out a bit. I know this is not true to Q1 though.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-02-03, 20:50 »

Quote from: Woodsman
i cant believe im hearing a cry to make slipgater more powerful. your class has already destroyed the balance of the game be happy with that.
woodsman: you don't even play, so you have no reason to whine about anything in gen, much less any potential balance issues in gen.

Think before you speak  Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-02-04, 10:54 »

:]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2004-02-04, 16:42 »

i play gen all the time. since 99a. infact i still have an installer for 99a.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-04, 16:43 by Woodsman » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-02-04, 17:09 »

Play in a forum game or two and see how classes truly play out against eachother with people - not bots - behind the characters Slipgate - Smile
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #27 on: 2004-02-04, 17:11 »

i know that the bots suck no matter what class they are.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #28 on: 2004-02-04, 17:27 »

Everybody needs to play on forum games to really see how the classes mesh and balance. If they do not, this amazing game will fold, as those who have the ability to make this (i don't) will start to feel that they are working for nothing, as nobody can be bothered to play. I also have 99a, but at the time only had a very slow connection and could not even get into a game against other people.
Last Saturday there were 3 people on the Euro server. 2 of us were getting hammered but that was not the point. I intend to support this mod anyhow i can and will always play (unless I have a gig with the band) and if I feel that something needs ajusting I will try and bring it to the atention of those who plan and make desisions on this amazing mod. It is 5 times as good as Quake3, and it is easy to see why.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-02-04, 18:48 »

The strength of the Slipgate class really depends on map layout. On a tight map with several armor pickups and easy access to a RL, the slipgater is strong. See Overwhelming Hostility.

However, on wide open maps with long distances to a RL and armor from spawn, the slipgater is weak. See Vesperas.

Slipgate IS a tad on the strong side, but it mostly comes down to the map. Slipgaters are probably the most sensitive to map layout, with Strogg right behind. Earth and Doom have well rounded arsenals. Slipgate does not, as they're nothing without their RL and (to a lesser degree) the shaft.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #30 on: 2004-02-04, 21:09 »

Quote from: shambler
2 of us were getting hammered but that was not the point.
Tab.Strogg + The Bouncy Map > Kain-Xavier. Slippy + Shambler.Slippy  Slipgate - Laugh  I think I became an Arena gladiator soon after the start of the map because I couldn't get any rocket shots off before dying Slipgate - Tongue

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-02-05, 02:12 »

Hehe.. Sorry about that Shambler, I guess I was a bit rough on you two back then ;]

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2004-02-05, 03:41 »

Quote from: shambler
...this amazing game will fold, as those who have the ability to make this (i don't) will start to feel that they are working for nothing, as nobody can be bothered to play.
As long as I'm around to work on Generations I can assure you this will never happen.  I intend to see it finished, unless God wills it otherwise.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2004-02-05, 03:45 »

and if he DOES, we're gonna have words him and I... Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #34 on: 2004-02-05, 11:18 »

I'm not one for making Slipgate more powerful than the others, but I do agree with Shambler. The nails do seem extremely slow... even when compared to the rockets. I've been saying this ever since I started playing Gen. Slipgate - Smile

I think has to do with the size of the model... the nail spike is kinda big, and seeing a dozen or so flying through air makes them seem slow.

I do agree with the map size making them seem slow as well.

And as for people that think Slippy is a two weapon wonder... I'll just say: Grenade Launcher. u ph33r teh spam! It's effective, and fast firing... excellent weapon to use when retreating around corners and such... or spamming a crowded area since it shoots faster than the rocket launcher. Slipgate - Laugh

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #35 on: 2004-02-05, 12:52 »

Yes the size of the nails is too big. they are supposted to be nails, which from memory should be flahettes (English word this dyslexic welshman cannot spell)  which are much thinner than regular bullets of any caliber. They must be seen, but should be smaller?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #36 on: 2004-02-05, 13:01 »

Quote from: Tabun
Hehe.. Sorry about that Shambler, I guess I was a bit rough on you two back then ;]
Tabun, thanks for the lesson. Ill play against you anytime. setting an example is not the best way to teach, its the ONLY way. these days for my sins i teach wookwork in Sec Ed and my skills as a stringed instrument maker make this possible. My point is that you cannot learn much from weaker players. i learnt what i know from the reaperbot and UT.

If a load of new players join soon its my fault. im trying to get  some of my students to try the game!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-02-05, 13:07 »

Shambler: Agreed. Everything I learnt was from getting my arse kicked. Severely.
I've been trying to get some people to play Gen, by my friends suck. One popped round 2 weeks ago though :]

On the nails: Nine inch nails.. i don't know about you, but nine inch in my pants don't look small to me, so neither should the slippy nails ;]

As long as I'm around to work on Generations I can assure you this will never happen. I intend to see it finished, unless God wills it otherwise.

Hell, I intend to see it finished even when god is firmly against it ;]
Don't worry about 1.0 not making it!
« Last Edit: 2004-02-05, 13:08 by Tabun » Logged

Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #38 on: 2004-02-05, 13:35 »

Quote from: Tabun
On the nails: Nine inch nails.. i don't know about you, but nine inch in my pants don't look small to me, so neither should the slippy nails ;]

:offtopic but couldnt resist...

You'll have to excuse tab, he's a Dutchman, he constantly makes these mistakes...

How many times do i have to tell you Tab, the english system and the metric system are different... 9 Centimeters is NOT the same as 9 inches...

hehe BURN!
« Last Edit: 2004-02-05, 13:38 by Dicion » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-02-05, 13:55 »

Weak.
Predictable and weak.

A short semi-explanatory writ for those unable to comprehend simple truths:

#1. Let's say one is not likely to lie, and will only do so when lives are at stake.
Sparing a long and dull extrapolation of the facts: There is a 10% margin of error, seeing as how lives are not at stake, yet danger may arise when the word 'burn' (in caps) is falsely used. #4 is one of the aspects in said reasoning.

#2. One who does not have the proper tools, will not brag about them, provided #1 holds.

#3. An inch is 2.5 cm. for those not in the know. However, unlike many of you US peeps seem to think, we Dutchies are masters in adjusting to those unable to learn about foreign metric systems, languages and concepts. Thus it is possible for a Dutchman to use foreign measures, words or tools, for example, and do so without err. Ofcourse, some may not, but then again, how some of the human population in general is able to breathe in light of their IQ, is still a mystery to me.

#4. Phoenix may claim to be a bird, but I've never claimed to be human. Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.

You are forgiven both your obvious ignorance of the facts, and your prejudice. But for a BURN, you need FIRE. So stop lighting matches in the blizzard Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2004-02-05, 13:57 by Tabun » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: