2024-04-27, 23:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Railguns vs Nailguns (Which weapon?)  (Read 28310 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #40 on: 2004-02-05, 14:32 »

Guys, its not the size of the weapon, its where you point it....at least in Quake that is. I prefer the RL as it makes me feel so complete, as it were......
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #41 on: 2004-02-05, 15:39 »

Quote from: shambler

If a load of new players join soon its my fault. im trying to get  some of my students to try the game!
Wish I'd had a teacher like you when I was in school.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #42 on: 2004-02-05, 19:52 »

I teach in one of the 12 worst schools in england (according to the national papers) but even though a large percentage of the children are mad, there are some who, dispite all the peer pressure try to listen and learn what I have to teach them. I'm only glad that none of them have a railgun or a nailgun otherwise i would have died years ago, with no chance of a respawn. Quake for me is one method relaxing, (guitar playing is the other) and I am at a loss to understand why so few people play Generations over normal Q3, unless its because they just don't know about it. Could we advertise somehow?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2004-02-05, 21:01 »

don't know , did you make that  13x13meters generations arena loga and hang it outside the schoolwindows ?  Slipgate - Tongue

no seriously , he has some point , I cant keep spamming the gamespy arcade channels forever .
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #44 on: 2004-02-06, 02:10 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~
And as for people that think Slippy is a two weapon wonder... I'll just say: Grenade Launcher. u ph33r teh spam! It's effective, and fast firing... excellent weapon to use when retreating around corners and such... or spamming a crowded area since it shoots faster than the rocket launcher. Slipgate - Laugh
agreed! i love that weapon..as well as any grenade launcher. but, i must confess, im really startin to like the strogg hand grenades, those thing owned in q2..and they do in gen  Slipgate - Laugh
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #45 on: 2004-02-07, 11:47 »

Quote from: Tabun
Shambler: Agreed. Everything I learnt was from getting my arse kicked. Severely.
I've been trying to get some people to play Gen, by my friends suck. One popped round 2 weeks ago though :]

On the nails: Nine inch nails.. i don't know about you, but nine inch in my pants don't look small to me, so neither should the slippy nails ;]

As long as I'm around to work on Generations I can assure you this will never happen. I intend to see it finished, unless God wills it otherwise.

Hell, I intend to see it finished even when god is firmly against it ;]
Don't worry about 1.0 not making it!
Accourding to "the deathmatch manifesto" (Robert E. Waring 1996) a nailgun fires Flechettes (right spelling this time!) which are "small pieces of titanium or stainless steel with little fins on the back end" (quote). that are driven by 1 cubic millimeter (25th of an inch to our american cousins) of metallic hydrogen. Now this is not exactly discribing the Q1 nailgun but a real weapon i know, but it does show that the nails are little itsy bitsy things. rather than being 9 inch long. I think the name of the band has added to any confusion here.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2004-02-07, 11:51 »

Well, you know, I can always redesign the model to make it smaller but more visible.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #47 on: 2004-02-07, 14:30 »

Ive just been looking at:

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/gallery/vie...203&id=shot0151

and they do look big, but everything in Q3 is kinda big, its the style.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2004-02-07, 20:52 »

I don't care so much for official defenitions and such in this case. All i know is there's a HUGE 'NIN' on the nails ammo item skin in Quake, and that means something to me ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #49 on: 2004-02-08, 02:11 »

...and why do we discuss the size on the nails!? does it matters? this is not a combat simulator you know.. the nails looks fine to me! and you're supposed to see them.. i don't want an almost invisible nail, i do want to see them comming.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #50 on: 2004-02-08, 02:16 »

Reboot has a point. Their size is fine, for me.

I think that they could use a new skin and they need to spin!
MoJoJoJoe

« Reply #51 on: 2004-02-19, 00:46 »

It's all good with the slipgaters.

Heres the run down on how to use their weaps:

1) axe: Best to get a berserk with this, or if you se a bunch of players duking it out in a small room, let them damage themselves awhile and then jump in their swinging that axe. Still good to use berserk though Slipgate - Smile

2) shotgun: a great fleeing weapon, use this at close to medium range against a few targets that won't stop following you.

3) super shotgun: I call this the conventional party crasher. Use the same way as the axe (-the besrsek) and go into a small room brawl guns blazing

4) nailgun: This is best used at semi-short range on unsuspecting opponents, that way you get some shots in before they respond.

5) super nailgun: This is the super fleerer. If you have a medium sized group on your a$$ then let them have an occasional steady stream of nails.

6) grenade launcher: Hmm.. never used this much. Best to find a small to medium-small room and use it flush out players, if they don't move then too bad for them Sipgate - Evil .

7) rocket launcher: This may not be as powerful as Doom or Strogg rockets, but they are fast as hell. Also since they are't as strong you can do rocket jumps without sacraficing too much heath. Some may not agree on this but its a long range weap whether you are a camper or a runner, I say this because since it has such a high speed not much lead is needed.

Slipgate - Cool shaft: Or lightning gun whatever the hell you want to call it. Well the last version I used was .99c and they still never added the one effect that was on quake that I call PUSH. In Quake the shaft would not just damage enemies but shove them in the directin the bolt was flowing. Either way this is one of the best "big gun" weapons due to its only way to cause self damage is if you are in the water. But that will kill you either way. It is good at any range

Also Those at wirehead, Pho Tab anyone you never really took my suggestions too seriously but please add the PUSH effect to the Slipgate weapons that had it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-19, 00:47 by MoJoJoJoe » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #52 on: 2004-02-19, 02:16 »

someone apparently hasn't played the recent beta

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #53 on: 2004-02-19, 02:24 »

And just for the benefit of those claiming that the nails are too slow, just change \cg_fov to 100 and you'll see just how accurate they are. 'Nuff said.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #54 on: 2004-02-19, 03:46 »

turning your fov up will make everything only look faster  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-02-19, 03:46 by Tekhead » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #55 on: 2004-02-19, 10:33 »

Quote from: MoJoJoJoe

7) rocket launcher: This may not be as powerful as Doom or Strogg rockets, but they are fast as hell. Also since they are't as strong you can do rocket jumps without sacraficing too much heath. Some may not agree on this but its a long range weap whether you are a camper or a runner, I say this because since it has such a high speed not much lead is needed.

Not as powerful?  They're TOO powerful.  Q1 rockets have a VERY severe damage curve, and the radius calculation puts the splash a lot wider than it really should be.  Compare the source code to Quake 2 and Quake 1 and you'll see that I am not fabricating this.  Not also that rocket jumping ALWAYS does half damage, regardless of which RL you're using.

Slipgate - Cool shaft: Or lightning gun whatever the hell you want to call it. Well the last version I used was .99c and they still never added the one effect that was on quake that I call PUSH. In Quake the shaft would not just damage enemies but shove them in the directin the bolt was flowing. Either way this is one of the best "big gun" weapons due to its only way to cause self damage is if you are in the water. But that will kill you either way. It is good at any range

Also Those at wirehead, Pho Tab anyone you never really took my suggestions too seriously but please add the PUSH effect to the Slipgate weapons that had it.

Thanks.

I used the exact same damage and knockback code as in Quakeworld.  The shaft does indeed push.  I've held people mid-air against walls with it before.

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #56 on: 2004-02-19, 12:42 »

Sorry, going a bit off topic here, but...
Nice to see another Brit, and even better, another welshman! Slipgate - Laugh
GG Shambler Slipgate - Tongue  

Anyway, just to make my post not useless spam:

IMO it's not that the nails are too slow, its the utilisation of them.
When I have to use the nailgun, I tend to expect them to fly faster. Which catches me out, and thus I tend to lose a scrap.
If i force myself into the mindset that NG's arent for mid-range, but rather for spamming into faces of foes hellbent on making a frag, while I run for my life; then i might have more success. As I sometimes have had, just by luck.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #57 on: 2004-02-19, 18:44 »

I originally started this tread because whenI ran to the top of the bouncy map, all I found was a SNG! What a let down. Same for that Q2 map, the remake, with the railgun that you have to get thou a water tunnel to reach. I like the SNG, but why does it seem to be the equivilent of the railgun? surely the RL should be at the top if you are a slipgater.
Just my thought.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #58 on: 2004-02-19, 20:47 »

The railgun originally gave a SNG.  We changed it to give a rocket launcher in 99b.  Bear in mind the Slipgate rocket launcher was not coded correctly during 99b, and was changed for 99c to be closer to Quakeworld in its behavior.  The problem arose with that was that rocket launchers are ALREADY common in Q3 as it is, and it became turbocharged in 99c.  Add to that the fact that Slipgate gets the same ammo from the grenade launcher, and you now have his most powerful weapon spawning for two common weapons (rails and rockets) as well as getting ammo from three sources (slugs, rocket boxes, and grenade boxes).  This meant you NEVER saw a Slipgater without a rocket launcher and a backpack full of bombs.  It was killing gameplay balance during beta testing, so it was changed back to a SNG when 99c was released.

Gen does have situations where one map will favor one or two classes over another.  Bouncy is one of the few maps where the long-range gun is supreme over that spamcannon of a rocket launcher.  Besides, there's already a rocket launcher on the map.  Slipgaters have no trouble getting frags there.  They just have to stay down in the trenches a bit more to slug it out, as opposed to perching up top and firing down into a crowd.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #59 on: 2004-02-19, 21:39 »

Quote from: Tekhead
turning your fov up will make everything only look faster  Slipgate - Wink
Yes, but Q1 has a slightly higher default FOV than Q3 anyway. Try them side by side and you'll see what I mean.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-19, 21:40 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: