2024-04-20, 07:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas chambers in Korea (Auschwitz all over again)  (Read 14382 times)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #20 on: 2004-02-10, 19:37 »

There is a large degree of difference between being offended and institutionalizing the offense.

Worlds between as far as I'm concerned. There are many reasons why PUBLIC schools should be atheistic as well as the state, especially in north america of all places.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2004-02-10, 20:25 »

There is a large degree of difference between being offended and institutionalizing the offense.
Institutionalizing Atheism by punishing students for praying in school is institutionalizing the offense.

I'm not saying there should be sanctioned prayer in school, but freedom of religion is freedom of religion. As are the freedoms of speech and expression that gets touted all the time by these very same people who insist on condemning religious expression.

And yes, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed simply for the cause of common courtesy. As a general rule, if you don't mess with me, I won't mess with you. I don't see anything different between a teacher preaching a class of Atheists and the school punishing a student for a silent prayer.

While going through highschool, I wasn't the most popular individual because I insisted on staring the truth in the face. In every single history class, they go on and on about how much evil was caused by the "white man." And you know what's funny? most of my ancestors worked actively AGAINST this crap. So here I am, having these idealistic boobs trying to shovel guilt on my shoulders because of slavery, and the indian wars, etc.. Add to this the school-sanctioned "cultural exercises" where the only expression allowed is of a non-christian and non-white basis. All this in the name of "diversity." They have a word for that, and it's not "diversity" it's "discrimination."

I judge people on their actions and reactions, not on the color of their skin, the clothes they wear, or their religion (or lack thereof). I see PEOPLE, I don't see black, white, hindi, arab, etc. I see people, with a range of cultures, backgrounds, and customs. THAT is diversity, not this crap being taught in public schools..

Slipgate - Off Topic *sigh*
« Last Edit: 2004-02-10, 20:27 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #22 on: 2004-02-11, 19:38 »

I don't really have the time at the moment to properly respond to this (150 pages worth of reading for my Post-Soviet Course for tommorow) but here is the short version

First off, A kid praying in class should not get him in trouble, unless of course he's doing it so everyone else can hear. No more than imagining nude women should not get him in trouble, unless he starts yelling out descriptive words. If he wants to pray before every class he can go right ahead, but the school should not be making accomodations for his faith, he can show up 5 minutes early and put his head down and pray if he wants to, no one should be able to stop him. BUT, that being said, bringing in a specific pray time during class is without a doubt an attempt to marginalize those of us who don't believe the clouded boogieman upstairs.

So if you want to pray, pray. A school shouldn't be able to tell you to not do something like that if you want to, but don't shove it in everyone's faces because then it becomes a problem.

The only time institutionalizing atheism becomes a problem is when its taken to extremes, such as when a student has his head down and hands together quietly praying he gets suspended for it.  Since that is really no different than suspending a student for not wanting to participate in pray time or the allegence to the flag.

This is about ensuring a lack of indoctrination into a religion at an institution that is fundamentally atheistic (unless this is a private school). Its also about ensuring that if someone choses religion that the choice is made of sound judgement, and according to the state the age of concent is 18, which is beyond high school for most. In this regard what the French are doing is absolutely right.

As for the reverse descrimination thing, I'll say, as a relatively straight white male who took a trip to NYC last year I can say, I more or less agree with that assessment. Unfortunately, the assessment is idiosyncratic to American Culture. Racial Tension in NYC is something that hits you like a hammer in the face the second you leave the airport, but it is not that way everywhere else in the world. Certainly not in Canada (with certain exceptions since we still have enclaves). The point I'm trying ot make is that the model I speak of, of relative complacency can be achieved, but for some reason you Americans can't seem to get past your history, and I say that for both sides of the arguement
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-02-11, 21:37 »

Back to the topic on hand

Gas chambers == wrong
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-02-11, 22:01 »

Yes, and that's what we all should be getting offended at here.  I'm seeing a rather disheartening lack of outrage about this...  I can understand myself being this way, but is everyone else really that jaded?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #25 on: 2004-02-11, 22:30 »

Quote from: MaxAstro
In this world, there is such a thing as the cold, hard truth.  And it's generally not what anyone wants it to be.  So why bother showing it to anyone?  Anything that is true is going to offend someone.  So why bother telling the truth at all?  Fill everyone up with sugary sweet half-truths and fantasy, leave no-one with any time to ask questions, and for God's sake don't let anyone get bored; bored people have time to think for themselves. [/sarcasm]
"Go back to bed America, your government is in control again.
Here, here?s American Gladiators.
Watch this, shut up.
Go back to bed America, here?s American Gladiators. Here?s 56 channels of it.
Watch these pictuary retards bang their f***ing skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom..."
(Bill Hicks, again. Yes I am a fan.)

I come from Northern Ireland, recently dubbed "Race Hate Capital of Europe", a place where bigotry is widespread and in many cases actively encouraged, a place where terrorism is still ongoing, a place where people are chastised for taking their children to school along a certain road because the residents follow another religion and don't approve of their street being given 'a bad name', and a place where elections ultimately make absolutely no difference at all. I'm not comparing Northern Ireland with North Korea, but you get the picture that it's not all that great here.

I agree. The truth hurts. Why shouldn't it? What hurts worse, though, is living a life of ignorance only to wake up one day and realise that the world isn't as rosy as you thought it was. There are some sick mofos out there and a lot of shit going on that they don't want you to know about. What gets me is when I'm treated like an absolute nob by the government and the media telling me about how awful it is in Iraq/Chechnya/North Korea/Antarctica when the shit is going on in my own backyard!

Political correctness isn't working. It does for the fight against bigotry and hate what cheese does for DVD players. I'm tired of saying things or referring to certain things in complete innocence only to be rebuked cos apparently it was an offensive statement/word/gesture. I'm not white, I'm caucasian. He's not black, he's African-American/English/Siberian/whatever. She's not ginger, she has 'auburn' hair. Give me a break. If we keep going like this, it's eventually going to take us half an hour to say something that would normally take ten seconds. As a white heterosexual male, I am the last ethnic group that anyone is allowed to take the piss out of, and I hate it. Slavery? White supremacy? Persecution? Yeah, but that was someone else!

It is disturbing though that this kind of thing (concentration camps) still exists, but back to Woddsman's point, and this applies not just to Europeans, but to anyone who isn't North Korean, they're over there, we're over here. Protesting about something that's going on over there while we're still here isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference. The NK government isn't going to care, is it? It's like Robert Mugabe saying, "Oh dear, I'm going to have to resign because England refuses to play cricket with us!"

It does raise the question, how can we end this madness?
« Last Edit: 2004-02-11, 22:49 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #26 on: 2004-02-11, 22:59 »

(sorry for the double post, coudn't edit the last one for some reason.)

It would be nice if the UN could pressurise the NK authorities into wising up, but the UN hasn't had much weight left in it since roughly March 2003.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-11, 23:00 by scalliano » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2004-02-12, 01:32 »

Quote from: scalliano
It does raise the question, how can we end this madness?
Blowing them up comes to mind.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #28 on: 2004-02-12, 02:39 »

Yeah. Get yer biosiut on, winter's comin'...

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #29 on: 2004-02-12, 03:07 »

I'm treated like an absolute nob by the government and the media telling me about how awful it is in Iraq/Chechnya/North Korea/Antarctica when the shit is going on in my own backyard!

Then by all means tell your government to deal with the extremists in your own country before messing up others. Tell them to stop supporting the Putin regime in Chechnya (another For-Oil program), stop selling weapons to dictators like you did in Iraq, and stop messing with the Polar Bears with your global warming! Slipgate - Grin

It would be nice if the UN could pressurise the NK authorities into wising up, but the UN hasn't had much weight left in it since roughly March 2003.

AHAHAHAHA, maybe in America, but the only person who lost any credibility in world politics since March of 2003 is the United States for making up ridicilous stories of fictious weapons programs in order to tap the natural resources of countries that do not belong to you

The only thing that the Iraqi war has proven is that UN Weapons Inspectors work
« Last Edit: 2004-02-12, 03:22 by Devlar » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-02-12, 05:41 »

Thread closed, for obvious reasons. :offtopic

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: