2024-05-02, 01:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea? Custom map cycle (Variable map vars)  (Read 5415 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« on: 2004-02-11, 01:48 »

A repost of my message-part in the no-invul topic, since people just tend to ignore it there :]

---

This might be a nice time to bring up another idea, that might help this aswell. What if Genflags and other server side settings were variable per map? Think of the possibilities when loading such vars from a textfile, along with the next map in the cycle (voting for a map could then load the default server settings or whatever it finds in the cycle.. but that's details). You could have short one-minute close-combat only weapon matches in small maps, rail-only games for two minutes, have gameplay enhancing powerup delays and effects per map (or even per call of the map, allowing for different ways to play the same levels per mapcycle).
I've seen this work in SCQ3A, some kind of 'DM-enhancing' mod, and it works great. Ofcourse, some people overdo it and start adding two quads to maps and stuff like that, but that is and should be, beyond the scope of such an enhancement. It could for example, merely add req2dm3 with powerups to the cycle, and an X amount of rounds later without them. It'd be all server-side, and it wouldn't force someone hosting a gen server to do anything, merely give them the option to tweak their map rotation cycle.

Well? What do you peeps think?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-19, 06:27 »

Are you saying that we allow the server administration to essentially have the powers of a server god?

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Thumbs up!

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-19, 10:36 »

It's a thought.  The map cycle code needs changing anyway.  Maybe we can look at adding in some kind of script-style parsing to go along with the maplist files.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-19, 17:20 »

put it in put it in  Thumbs up!
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-19, 21:44 »

i suggest it parses a 'mapname.mpc'

MPC == Map Parsing Code Slipgate - Smile
If it cant find that file, it defaults to well, default Slipgate - Smile
otherwise, that file can contain any server stuff, genflags, dmflags, timelimit, etc etc etc...

that would be awesome... you could force doom class on doom levels, quake on quake... etc etc.. and Forced Random on eternal arenas and stuff like that.. Of course i would experiment with this in depth on euro Slipgate - Smile

well, i just thought, technically we could do that now with the vars Slipgate - Tongue exec a config file for nextmap every time or some stuff Slipgate - Tongue but anyways Slipgate - Smile
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-19, 22:25 »

Well we already have a file for controling various map variabels... it's called .arena ..you could extract that and input some extra keys..just a tought.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-20, 01:34 »

Well, the idea is to keep it in one file, not several.  You'd have something akin to this:

mapname
{
variable
variable
etc
}
map name
{
variable
variable
etc
}

All in one file.  If you omitted the variable sections it would just load with default settings.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: