2024-04-20, 06:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The sniper rifle (the arc.......)  (Read 19192 times)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #20 on: 2003-02-12, 03:09 »

I Love the earth snipers rifle, and for the record I hate rails in general. I have a much bigger problem with the amount of ammo the sliggaters get with the super nailgun
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #21 on: 2003-02-12, 21:00 »

Gnam: IIRC, the MP40 model is just a placeholder... i think hedhuntas modelling it Slipgate - Laugh
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2003-02-14, 09:21 »

He already has modelled the mp40 :] (a high res version of it)
I have now unwrapped 30% of it.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2003-02-15, 00:09 »

if you put the drop in the sniper rifle, why not the rest of the wolf weapons?
Just a thought... I don't know what to do with it so I"ll post it on a forum =p
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2003-02-15, 00:31 »

The Sniper rifle fires a single projectile at high-speed that falls with gravity.  It actually launches a type of splash-less "missile" entity in the game code.  Those take up some net bandwidth because the game has to communicate a lot of info to the client, so the fewer the better.  The other bullet weapons are hitscan.  Basically the server checks a line from point A to point B and sees if anything's in the way.  It sends an "event" to the client if there is, also a type of entity, but much smaller netwise.  An impact on a player and an impact against a wall both qualify for this.  The gats in 99a streamed a boatload of events that caused lag.  I streamlined this in 99b by not transmitting as many entities as often while still doing the same number of traces on the server.  This is similar to how the Q3 shotgun code doesn't lag players by sending 20 odd trace entities to the client.  If you spammed "missiles" for the bullets it would lag even cable connections considering how many the dualgats would toss out at once, and multiple players spamming that many entities with a timeaccel tech + haste over a long map might even cause the server to run out of entities, resulting in a crash.  Not good.  :blink:  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2003-02-15, 15:49 »

And dualgats spam bad enough as-is. I rather like the rifle, just ask red about the bouncy bouncy Slipgate - Tongue. And yeah, the single gat spams a dialupper pretty bad, and dualgats practically kill.  Big Gun

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: