2024-05-08, 22:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FPS (what do I do?)  (Read 5971 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-08-05, 17:17 »

I'm trying to up my frames per second in Gen. At the meoemnt it seems to reach 90 and refuses to go any higher. My refresh on the monitor is at 85, so it can't be that. what do I need to adjust to stop this clipping? I bet its simple, but I've looked everywhere with no luck.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-05, 17:20 »

The setting that limits your FPS in gen is

com_maxfps

Set that to 125, if you can reach that kind of speed.
Alternatively, it could be that

r_swapinterval

Is enabled - if it's on 1, try setting it to 0, otherwise it will cap to your monitor's refresh-rate (try it though, it can be a lot smoother when enabled some times)

I'm assuming it's the former.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-05, 19:09 »

125? phr! I managed to get 200 pfs with 5 bots in the first Q3 level at times!(set at high textures and 1024x768) this plays like a new game!

Thanks Tab. It was set at 85. I guess the system defaulted to 85 as that was my refresh rate? mind, it did give me 90 fps at times.
in theory this should give me more chance to get some frags. we'll see. I could not find the  'r_swapinterval' but seems I don't need to look.

Thanks again. must give it a try on the server now.  Thumbs up!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-05, 19:48 »

wel shamb I got bad news for ya.
ask pho or tab about the tech talk .
But for some reason going above those 125 FPS makes you start lagging in Net games .
thats why its limmited at 85. ( why else would they limitted it ) .
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-05, 20:30 »

Actually, by default the FPS is limited to 90, not 85, and this is certainly conservative (as goes for most of the net-related settings in Quake 3, mind you). There is a series of com_maxfps settings that will allow you to jump properly (that is, optimally), because FPS online also affects the physics (stupid but true). Among the list of acceptable values are 85, 125 and 333.

Unfortunately, your net connection is also affected by your FPS. If you have too few, your client will stutter its information to the server, resulting in choppy play for everyone. If it is too high, it will flood the server and create bouts of lag or other anomalies that won't be fun either. Unless you're running a crappy modem however, you can probably run at com_maxfps 125.
If you're running a VERY good clean connection to a server, you can run at 333 fps. (I can do this to the Euro server, but since my monitor does not have a refreshrate of 333 (d'oh.), that makes no sense.

Another reason that makes 125 a good choice is the optimal cl_maxpackets setting of 125. Although information regarding that setting varies, it has in practice turned out that the 125 fps + 125 maxpackets combination gives the best results.

So there you go.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-05, 21:13 »

Right, 125 fps it is.

should I set cl_maxpackets to 125 as well? mine seems to be set at '30' at the moment.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-05, 23:15 »

It's certainly worth a try, judging by your ping to the server. See the FAQ (on the new site! - generations section -> support -> faq link down at the bottom) for some things to try. Next time before or during a forum game, remind me and I'll walk you through some tests to see if it's safe to use that setting.

And even if it isn't, it would be better to set it at 60 or so than 30.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-05, 23:56 »

I didn't know I had a bad ping, thought it was about 42 on average. I've upped the maxpackets to 125 in the meantime, to see what happens. we'll see on saturday night, no doubt. Don't know what it does, don't really care, but am happy to fiddle with anything to get better responce.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-06, 03:13 »

I didn't intend to say you had a bad ping at all - the opposite, in fact: Your connection seems to be good enough to make your settings more demanding of the connection. You might not notice the difference straight away, but once you get used to it (assuming it works the way for you as it did for me) you feel more closely connected to the server, and end up aiming better on the whole. But we'll see what you think of it tomorrow ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-08-06, 12:20 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-06, 04:24 »

Hmm, maybe I should tinker with the maxpackets setting myself and see what happens.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-06, 16:24 »

I see. I will read the manual when I get time, this weekend. I'm really looking forward to getting into a game and seeing if I get an improvement.

By the way Pho, I've dropped the settings in UT2004 and improved my framerate by about 15%. I'm also going to tinker with the ati settings for a while to see if I can improve it.  Slipgate - Off Topic  Thumbs up!

NEXT DAY:
game seemed a bit choppy last night, was that me, or the guys who kept dropping in and then out again, or was it gameskeepers connection?

basically, do I need to change the 'maxpackets'?
« Last Edit: 2005-08-07, 14:07 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-07, 14:26 »

Yes, Games Keeper was exceptionally choppy today, although he usually is. There were also a few bumps (one or two per minute, shown as yellow triangles in the lagometer), which seem to be unrelated to any one specific connection. The guys dropping in and out (who didn't have the mod, i guess) won't have made a difference though..

Do you need to? Well, you don't need 125 fps, nor do you need an optical mouse, but unless you get some serious delays or yellow triangles in the lagometer, I can certainly recommend it.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-08, 18:08 »

I see. it seems to work smoother so I'll do the other comp.

Next day: I may have imagined it, but it seems to loose a few frames at maxpackets 125, so I dropped it back to maxpackets 30 on my old comp. seemed ok at that last night, (unles anyone knows otherwise from the short game) I'll leave that comp like that.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-09, 08:56 by shambler » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: