2024-05-18, 14:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No bots servers (Why aren't there any?)  (Read 8515 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2004-10-01, 00:11 »

Sometimes I join a server for a few mins but leave if no one comes in cause I get bored. Is there a reason why none of the gen servers (except test servers) have bots?  I could stick around longer if I had something to frag while waiting :-)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-01, 00:58 »

Quote from: FluSyndrome
Sometimes I join a server for a few mins but leave if no one comes in cause I get bored. Is there a reason why none of the gen servers (except test servers) have bots?  I could stick around longer if I had something to frag while waiting :-)
because everyone else hates bots, and wont join bot-filled servers
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-01, 01:31 »

I hate bot filled servers too, ours usually have minplayers set to 2 (or 1 I'm not sure) so that  we play  a bot until a human joins, then the bots leaves.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-01, 02:02 »

1 or 2 bots couldnt hurt and pass the time waiting for players  Slipgate - Ninja
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-01, 12:42 »

I really don't feel the need to play bots online, personally, but a 2 bot limit would work. Mind, having bots on the server would mean a different working of the map-rotation, since it wouldn't stop/'pause' without players...

An extra disadvantage that should be noted: Whenever there are bots on the server, it isn't marked as 'empty' unless the serverlist/view application filters bots. This would mean that you would always have to check the server to find out if there's really someone playing...
« Last Edit: 2004-10-01, 12:44 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-01, 23:58 »

I'm not sure how it works with generations or if it would be any different than in regular servers, but what I see happen all the time is that the bots continue to play even after humans leave, but only up to the end of the level, the levels don't change unless a human joins and clicks the mouse to signal  ready,  you can actually check when the last time the server was used by the number of seconds the bot has waited at the end of the level.

Regarding the checking of servers to see if someone is playing, I'm not sure how you guys join the servers, but I have ASE (All Seeing Eye) which is an awsome program and it actually has a generations tab with all the servers, I just check and I always see for example Phoenix test server that usually has 3 bots, and is easy to see they're bots cause it's telling you they have a ping of 0.

It even lets you select your buddies and it alerts you when they are on the servers.

ASE site: http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-02, 01:56 »

Quote from: FluSyndrome
the levels don't change unless a human joins and clicks the mouse to signal  ready
This is not true for Generations Arena.  Generations Arena will automatically cycle the map regardless of whether or not there are any players on the server.  The reason everyone plays the same maps every night at the same time is the server has a 15 minute timelimit and restarts at the same time every day.  The upcoming bugfix patch will allow for better server map rotation, including a non-repeating randomized option so you'll never know what map is next in the line up.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-02, 03:03 »

Ahhhhh, thanks, that kinda clears it up  :-)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-02, 03:36 »

And for your second point: Again, you have to do some work to check whether players are bots or not - this means looking at names, checking pings whatever futile and easy checks they be, they remove the use of x/y players indications.
I am aware of the existence of ASE, GameSpy Arcade etc etc, but dislike the applications. Their clunky and bothersome, much unlike a single webpage. I cannot use ASE, as it crashes my router, and use the wirehead server listing, which does everything I want - no less, no more.

There's only ONE defendable advantage to having bots on the server that I can think of: ping-practice. You can play vs bots with your true ping to the server.
Now all you have to do to get this done locally, is set you cl_timenudge to a positive value of , and you can practice all you want.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-10-02, 05:02 »

Quote from: Tabun
You can play vs bots with your true ping to the server.
Now all you have to do to get this done locally, is set you cl_timenudge to a positive value of <your ping here>, and you can practice all you want.
Tab, as far as I know this was broken a long time ago in Q3A.  I just tried it again, and I got the exact same results.  If I start a local game I can set my cl_timenudge as high as 1000 and all my weapons still fire instantly.  I get the same behavior even if I set up a dedicated server and connect to it with another Q3 session.

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #10 on: 2004-10-02, 08:32 »

So are we adding the bots or not?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #11 on: 2004-10-02, 13:36 »

My original idea was not to add bots to the servers, but to have maybe ONE server that had a bot in it.. The purpose that I have seen with such a server many times is that it allows players to join and have something to do, and in some cases, such as in painkeep, it's like a meeting place. example I join and start fraggin  a bot  to kill time and someone joins from europe for example and says, hey my ping sucks here lets go to so and so server, and we go, but again, if there was no bot, I may join for 5 minutes and wait, with a bot I have joined for 30 minutes and wait if I have to, and get a couple 15 mins matches with the bots.

Some servers even have minplayers set to 3 so that there is at least 3 players in the server all the time, but it really bugs when trying to get a 1 vs 1 match.

Here is another advantage that I can see at least for me on gen,  I can practice with the different weapons which are new to me,  with my real ping. Especially theh darn railgun, which I dont' use much cause we have a defense against it in pk., but in gen it is an essential tool. I was trying to frag BIGKILLA with the rail, I had him in front of me, cornered within 10 quake feet away, got 3 shots in and didn't even touch him, he switched to rail and railed me in one shot :-)

I may start another thread with a railgun tutorial, on how NOT to rail :-)
« Last Edit: 2004-10-02, 13:42 by FluSyndrome » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-10-02, 14:31 »

Hehe, no need for a rail tutorial unless it reads: "practice makes perfect." :]

Ah, hadn't tried it for a long time, Phoenix - it used to work for me. My bad; so we have one advantage vs. one disadvantage worthy of mention.

I can fix this disadvantage easily myself, because I'll simply code a PHP page that filters out the bots, and shows me only true players - I'm just concerned about those that do not have the knowledge or time to make this effort.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2004-10-02, 23:00 »

I think the bots could be a good idea. it would realy help players like me get used to the lag (which is new to me this year)

a defence against railguns? I want one for christmas.  <3
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-10-03, 01:19 »

The ultimate defense is a supreme offense - Get the first strike and your opponent may get rattled enough to miss.

(or you kill them outright, which is even better)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-10-03, 01:59 »

Defence against railguns is easy. As long as your opponent doesn't have 0 ping, just be where they're not expecting you. That's all. Be unpredictable and hope they don't get lucky, or keep peppering them with machineguns and whatnot.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-10-03, 02:13 »

Armor, and lots of it.  That way if you get pegged you're likely to live through it.  Make good use of suppressing fire as well.  If you have a few extra rockets fire them at where the guy is taking potshots from to cover a retreat or throw him off balance enough to either line up your own railgun shot or get in closer to effective range with whatever weapons you have.

The main disadvantage of a railgun is it's long refire time, so if you can get in close and take away the distance advantage you have a better chance of taking the guy out.  The trick is getting in close without getting killed in the process.  Railgunners come in three flavors - "snipe and hide", "dance around you", and "snipe while retreating".  I've found that chainguns/gatling guns or any sustained attack weapons are extremely effective against the first two types of railgunner if you can get in close enough to use them effectively.  Keep them in view, watch your footwork, and don't let off the trigger.  That hail of bullets can keep them off guard and might just make them miss.  A missed railgun shot at close range can be a death sentence.

The retreating bastards are a bit harder to nail.  They'll take potshots at you and back away while keeping a narrow door or hallway in full view, waiting for you to peek around the corner and expose yourself to their line of fire.  Chasing them is suicidal.  The main way to beat them is to not fight them on their terms.  You have to outpredict their movement route and catch them off guard.  The best way to take care of them is to wait for them to engage another target, get in behind them and unload your most damaging weapon on them while they're distracted with the other target.  Deny them armor and health at every chance, and watch your back when attacking other players.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 02:14 by Phoenix » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-10-03, 02:14 »

The retreating bastards are a bit harder to nail. They'll take potshots at you and back away while keeping a narrow door or hallway in full view, waiting for you to peek around the corner and expose yourself to their line of fire. Chasing them is suicidal.

Hey! I'm not a bastard! I know BOTH of my parents!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2004-10-03, 02:17 »

you think you know both your parents .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2004-10-03, 08:05 »

I would be in favor of having a minimum players : 2 setting for the bots, in other words 1 bot if no one else is around. This way you have a way to kill time while you wait for people. It's not like there's much disadvantage to it because if they're no one else on the server you wouldn't stay anyway. The only probablem is that when browsing servers, whenever the player count was 2 you would have to click to see whether the players were bots or humans. However, if it was only 1 server it wouldn't be a big deal because for that one server because it wouldn't be that much extra trouble; if the player count is over 2 you know its humans, if not, you can take your chances.

I think I would actually LIKE the change in map cycle the bots would cause.  Basically, only the first aproximate 10 maps on the list get played, unless people are playing for a really long time.    There are maps on the begining of the list that I really don't care for, and maps at the end that I really want to play but never do. I didn't even know Warehouse was in the new map pack untill I looked in the screenshots area last week.

For that matter, I have a proposition. If bots don't get put on a server, can someone please change the map cycle? My overriding request would be to put tourney maps like Rust in Peace and Trial By Error at the END of the map cycle. That way durring crowded FFA when everyone is just riding the cycle then these maps are less likely to pop up. It would still be fine for when people are playing 1 on 1, because two people playing 1v1 are much more likely to just vote their own maps, in which case they can vote RIP and TBE. As for Adandoned Base please move it to the end or just take it off the cycle all together till Reboot's new version is complete.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-03, 08:08 by Gnam » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: