2024-05-02, 19:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What GenArena could have been (Be happy it's not!)  (Read 7323 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2005-05-19, 08:28 »

One of PlanetQuake's MOTW this week is one called Doomed2Frag. It's like a portion of GenArena in that it attempts to bring the Doom weapons and gameplay into Quake 3 Arena. And it largely fails. The weapon and item models look like crap, and the mod largely plays like garbage.

1) No fist, meaning no Berserk pickup.
2) The chainsaw is nothing more than a weakened, modified Gauntlet.
3) The shotguns move awkwardly, and generally don't do enough damage.
4) The rockets are too small.
5) The plasma rifle is weak and sounds like a hyperblaster.
6) The BFG fires too quickly and doesn't work at all right.

Compare this to GenArena's Doom Warriors class. Even that should make you more than happy with the work that has been and continues to be put into this mod. Slipgate - Smile

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-19, 09:14 »

I checked it out and it honestly isn' t that bad. I comend this guy, for he did this all this. He didn't steal someone else's work. I'd say let him know of this instead of ripping on his efforts. Besides gen could use some competition to make thing interesting. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-05-19, 09:15 by Little Washu » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-19, 10:16 »

It's no Generation's 'Doom class only' style... but it's not bad. The BFG was my biggest issue... I got 3 kills when I looked straight down. The chainsaw was pretty weak as well. The flamethrower was questionable to me... seeming overly odd

The spinning ammo and health boxes looked weird to me too.

It could use some polishing up, but it's decent. Won't be sticking around too long for me tho... since Gen fits the bill already, and then some.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-19, 10:59 »

I dunno the 'pistol' looks like it was ripped from Urban Terror and the rocket launcher sounds a lot like Gen's mortar...             not to mention some other small problems, i should hope that's a very early beta.

I'll stick with gen any day.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-19, 11:33 »

After reading the readme... Vorlonesque is the is coder and designer... that names rings a bell for me. Wonder if it's the same one.. hehe.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-19, 11:35 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-19, 13:37 »

Well, it's nice. I always admire someone who goes out and makes what he or she envisions.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was 'our' Vorlonesque, btw although I haven't seen him around for a while.

Yet...

This mod is awesome!  You've got a great Doom-esque fast paced action at the fraction of the size of Generations!

That was uncalled for :]
So now we've established that this mod is awesome, and Generations is too big. What kind of half-witted comparison is that?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-19, 15:29 »

having just downloaded it

I'm of 2 minds on this one

1. the weapons are very basic looking, however they are better than anything i could do
b. the action while still nice, is nothing like doom, doom 2 or even final doom
c. most of the weapons and movements felt odd
d. not once did the bots fight properly at nightmare level Sipgate - Evil

2. as mods go it looks and plays well
b. it may not have the graphical and technical accuracy of gen, but it is another persons take on the doom style
c. the shotgun animations slay me, they are cool. even if a tad crude
d. I will always love a mod that has a flamethrower in it, due to my pyromanic tendancies  Slipgate - Laugh
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-19, 15:49 »

Yes that's our Vorlonesque, and he's been working on this off and on for a very, very long time.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-19, 16:15 »

I'm not going to pick on the mod, Vorlonesque did work with us for a while on some physics code and has always been decent toward Wirehead and Generations.  The models were done, I believe, by his brother who at the time knew very little about modeling according to what Vorlonesque told me.  Call this one of those "I really like Doom and I want to make something like Doom" projects just about everyone has done at some point.

However, the amount of enthusiasm that The Happy Friar is exuding here eludes me, especially when you look at the Beta 3 readme that references Quake III Arena version 1.29 and the site itself has not been updated since 2001.  Why the excitement toward a project that appears to be semi-abandoned, and why the criticism of Gen's filesize, especially when people crawl over each other to download 500+ meg game demos and trailers anymore?  He didn't even link to us in the article, which I find a tad insulting.  If you're going to criticize, offer up the material.  He's going to get a friendly email.
Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-19, 17:27 »

I think that's what made me go, "Wait, WTF is this?" -- if Vorlonesque sees this and takes offense, I appologize. Anyone who takes up a mod project and is willing to make it publically available has more guts than I do.

For The Happy. Friar to say what he did, however, and be so enthusiastic about something that hasn't been updated in around four years... that's what sparked the, "Gee, Gen could have been like this, and I'm glad it isn't, Mr MOTW Guy."

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-19, 20:22 »

Grabbed this last night, funnily enough. It's OK, but I'll stick with genflags 29, thanks :rules:

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-20, 02:32 »

I just got an email back from Friar.  He was looking at the Q2 Generations and Generations Arena stuff when he wrote the article, and just plain forgot to include the linkage.  He sent me a friendly email back thanking him for the heads up and that he'd send an update to Pappy.  I'd say he's probably just a very enthusiastic fellow overall, and perhaps not so nitpicky-purist as I'm used to dealing with (and sometimes guilty of being myself). Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-20, 04:20 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Yes that's our Vorlonesque, and he's been working on this off and on for a very, very long time.
Generations Mod has been in the works for a very, very long time too :]

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-20, 08:23 »

I played this mod a long time ago, and I do appreciate the effort put into it.  I'm still partial to Generations Arena though.  The only thing that makes Gen so big are the maps really.  Having 40 weapons is undoubtedly going to boost the file size a bit, but it's still around 50 MB or so without the maps isn't it?  That's plenty doable on dial-up.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-20, 08:26 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-20, 20:10 »

Quote from: Kain-Xavier
I played this mod a long time ago, and I do appreciate the effort put into it.  I'm still partial to Generations Arena though.  The only thing that makes Gen so big are the maps really.  Having 40 weapons is undoubtedly going to boost the file size a bit, but it's still around 50 MB or so without the maps isn't it?  That's plenty doable on dial-up.
Personally to me now day if you have Dial-Up and expect to meet the demands of today's online gaming world, your pretty cheap. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-05-20, 20:10 by Little Washu » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-21, 12:12 »

Well modems still go strong! Slipgate - Tongue And i do hate em all! btw downloading the whole gen package on 56k aint fun..but it's worth it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: