2024-05-10, 02:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Id Monsters  (Read 8273 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-10-15, 03:56 »

It's easy to know who likes what Generation when playing, but what about the bad guys?  Which ones are your favorites, and why?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-15, 04:02 »

Is there really that much of a difference between Doom 1 and doom 2 monsters?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-15, 04:45 »

Doom Monsters:

Zombieman
Shotgun Guy
Imp
Demon
Lost Soul
Cacodemon
Baron of Hell
Cyberdemon
Spider Mastermind

New monsters to Doom II:

Chaingunner
Hell Knight
Pain Elemental
Revenant
Mancubus
Arachnotron
Arch-Vile
SS Nazi
Commander Keen
Icon of Sin

If felt there was enough difference between the two monster sets to warrant two poll entries.  Someone might not like the Doom II monsters.  Besides, my poll, my rules!
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-15, 05:38 »

Oh, I see, I didn't really think of the icon of sin or keen as enemies though, something more of a puzzle...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #4 on: 2007-10-15, 07:47 »

If I could pick more than one i would take D2 beside Q2.
And I'm wondering how it would be to swap weapons/heroes and play like that through that games.
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #5 on: 2007-10-15, 09:08 »

Doom 2. Those damn Fatties (Mancubus), the dancing skelletons (Revenants), running naked guys (archviles) and the terribly annoying Burned Tomato (Pain elementals, that made a weird barking sound when you shot 'em) all rocked.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2007-10-15, 10:36 »

Since DOOM 3 is not a choice, I am going to go with the original DOOM.  I'm a sucker for the pinky demon.   Doom - Love  Cacodemons are also pretty cool sans how much damn life they have.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2007-10-15, 11:18 »

I guess my vote goes to DooM II. The more the merrier, and in the days of the DooMs, hordes still existed, too. I also really liked the realistic, plastic look of DooM sprites, in addition to the actual monster designs. The Mancubus (aside from its rather lame name) was my favourite (excellent death anim, too!).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2007-10-15, 11:46 »

I'ma go with DooM 2 as well, despite tech limits I think they're presented better than any other group, and cyberdemon probably pwns any other monster ID has made, even it's DooM 3 counterpoint.

Why not go with DooM 1 then? arachnotrons mancubi and archviles thats why dammit
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2007-10-15, 14:57 »

I have to jump on the Doom 2 bandwagon as well.  I liked Doom's atmosphere a bit better overall, but the Doom 2 + Doom 1 monsters are just downright wicked.

Quake 2 comes in a close second to me.  I think it's because the Strogg have a great deal of personality to their sounds and animations, and overall look.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #10 on: 2007-10-15, 14:59 »

Wolf3d. Sure, there were only a handful of enemies, but they were enough to amuse me when I was a kid. Besides, DooM doesn't run as fast as Wolf3d in my 386, so I'd oftenly choose Wolf3d over DooM. However, my second choice is DooMII.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2007-10-15, 17:24 »

DOOM II. Without a doubt. UD's atmosphere was better (particularly if you played the PSX version which had D2's monsters on the harder settings), but the sheer variety in D2 makes it more fun IMO.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2007-10-15, 19:06 »

Lop: sounds more like you prefer the game, rather than its monsters.. Each to his own ofcourse, but do you really prefer nazi soldiers over imps and pinkies? :]

Quake 2 monsters were great in concept --although I do prefer hellish demons over biotechnological things-- but they were a bit too easy to deal with, too "stupid" to really work up any awe while playing, for me..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #13 on: 2007-10-15, 21:26 »

Quake, by far. The Shambler still remains one of the most fearsome creatures to ever grace a videogame, new or old!
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #14 on: 2007-10-15, 22:04 »

Once a Slippy always a Slippy

but personally i loved the shambler, the fiend and the floaty wizard blob thing

i do have a fondness for the strogg too especially the iron maiden's  Slipgate - Love
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2007-10-16, 05:34 »

Tab:  I just love the overall look and attitude of the Quake 2 Strogg.  I agree that damage-wise the Strogg are pushovers, but then I also remember playing Quake 2 in 320x200 software on an underpowered machine.  I don't think the average newbie of the day could have withstood fully-powered baddies with the hardware that was common.  I really do need to port my code into a normal Quake 2 .dll that makes the Strogg do player-level damage with their weapons.  I'll get around to it eventually I guess.

Vamp:  In the Quake 2 Generations mod, whoever did the Ziggurat Vertigo level goofed up.  One of the two shamblers up top actually spawns as a Strogg Tank Commander.  I've done this a few times where I've grabbed the invuln and got between Shambler and Tank and let the tank accidentally hit the Shambler.  Shambler doesn't like that, so he'll shoot lightning in return.  They'll continue to fight, and the Tank Commander pulverizes the Shambler every time.  To be fair the Shambler can't get in close to use his melee attacks since they're on two different platforms, but it's still interesting to watch the two monsters duke it out.

There's a similar situation on Grisly Grotto.  One of the Fiends in the castle courtyard spawns as a Quake 2 Mutant.  The mutant kills the fiend every time.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #16 on: 2007-10-16, 16:39 »

Well, the Shambler may not be the overall toughest of the Id monsters, but I still tread carefully around them to this day. Of course, they are far less dangerous if you get up close and simply avoid their melee attacks. My perspective is probably ingrained from Quake being my first FPS though. Coming up onto that first "white monkey", as we used to call them. Hehe. If nothing else, I find them to be one of the most interesting looking creatures.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2007-10-16, 17:37 »

Aye, you can kill them with the axe if your timing is good and you don't run out of room.  They're definitely dangerous though, no doubt.  Those melee attacks and even the lightning can make short work of a Quakeguy!

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #18 on: 2007-10-16, 21:37 »

... Maybe you're right, Tab. But the problem is, I love both set of monsters equally! So, to take a decision, I was forced to choose between the ones who I enjoyed fighting against the most. In the end, I chose the Wolf3d monsters.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2007-12-03, 13:56 »

DooM 2 without doubts. and best enemy in doom is of cuz the cyberdemon..dang those still scare teh shit out of me
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: