2024-05-04, 07:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, im new.lol (Do I need patches???)  (Read 4629 times)
bboy-mass

« on: 2005-01-30, 04:40 »

Hi everyone, Ive just moved over to PC gaming from many years of console gaming, and I need to know a couple of things about Quake III:

1.Do I need the latest patches? I have just purchased Q3Gold, so what next?

2. My System:
    AMD Semprom 1.8G
    1 gig ram
    Radion 9600XT

Is the above enough to play quake at its best? It looks great  awesome at the moment, but could I make it look even better?

Cant wait to play you all.

R.
Bboy
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-30, 06:55 »

Quake 3 Arena is running version 1.32 as it's final release.  If you bring up the console, you can check your version number in the bottom right corner of the screen.  It should say "Q3 1.32".  If not, you can snag the latest update patch from here:

Windows Version
Linux Version
Mac

I think your system will more than handle Quake III Arena.  I'm running it on the following:

AMD XP1800+ 1.53 GHz
512 MB RAM
nVidia GF4 TI4600

Though I usually play at 800x600, I can get a steady 108FPS on Q3DM12 overlooking the Quad area from the Yellow Armor at 1024x768, 32 bit color, high quality textures, high geometric detail, r_picmip 0, r_roundimagesdown 0.

We look forward to playing you too.  Be sure to check the Generations Arena user's manual, especially the FAQ section for tips on how to tweak your network connection and visual settings for maximum enjoyment!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-30, 08:33 »

hmm, I wasn't too impressed with the 9600, and the sempron is essentially the next duron. But that should be able to run q3 just fine, it might hitch with some of the evil lighting effects we've got coded for gen, so you're looking at being able to run full speed with roughly 95% of the eyecandy enabled. Just be afraid of plasma, and sarge's torch. Those things are wicked O.o

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-30, 09:26 »

Radeon 9600XT is a fantastic card. Works wonders for me, at least. Thumbs up!

But yes, that system should handle Q3A and Generations just fine. You should definitely follow Phoenix's advice and check out the manual and such for those tweaks.

Welcome to the arena! Slipgate - Laugh

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-30, 10:27 »

The title of this thread annoys me.

Beer? I'm down.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-30, 22:32 »

they make 1.8 gigh semprons ? , the lowest 1 I encuntered is a 2.2 I thought .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-31, 01:10 »

Glad to see someone seeing the light and making the upgrade to PC FPS's. Just brace yourself, because PC shooters are going to be a lot different than what you're used to with console games...it's going to take some getting used to.

I have had to make the opposite jump- resorting to console FPS's of late, because my computer got stolen durring christmas break and I can't afford another one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: