2024-05-12, 21:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Art of Critique (An introduction.)  (Read 4189 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« on: 2004-05-07, 17:02 »

What's this? Has Tab's delicate artisty soul been crunched? Is he cringing from the forces of hatred pounding upon his fragile mental framework? Is he balancing on the edge?

No. None of that, although I am getting more prone to lose my temper, lately. Therefore, it is time, once again, to apply the rules of common sense, with a slight hint of diplomacy 101 for good measure.

This thread applies only to those occasions where one wishes to 'give crit' in a respectful manner, and reach a desired effect other than pissing someone off. If the latter is your goal, this thread is not for you. It may not be anyway, I don't give any guarantees, and I'm a bloody hypocrite, when it comes to that, anyway. :]

There, got the disclaimer out of our way - on to business.

Mister X has just made a sketch. He's obviously done his best, and presumably has some pride in his work, as he shows it on a public forum, or artistry site, or whatever.
Along comes Bloke Y, seeing it and deciding to crit. let's assume, for this excersize, that Y is interested in the product, likes the progress, but doesn't agree with certain details. Likewise, we also assume that X is somewhat open to crits, and he isn't an annoying schmuck that deserves to be pounded to death with an oversized dildo.

To make it easier to type up this post, I'll portray the situations as they would be on IRC.

Situation 1

Here's the handywork:

* Mister X shows picture
Mister_X: There we go...
Bloke_Y: LOL!
Bloke_Y: What the hell is going on with the hands right there?
Mister_X: Ehr, what do you mean?
Bloke_Y: Man he has only three fingers, where's the thumb? What's that supposed to be?
Mister_X: ..

Mister X is thoroughly disappointed and is likely to abandon his attempt to become an artist.

Analysis
Goal acquired, true opinion conveyed: No
Level of respect, friendliness: None
Usefulness: Limited
Result: Abandonment of project, or crit ignored.

Situation 2

Same work

* Mister X shows picture
Bloke_Y: not bad.

Mister X logically deducts: Not bad, not good.. unremarkable? Either shrugs and ignores it or is angered.

Analysis

Level of respect, friendliness: Limited
Usefulness: Nil
Result: Crit ignored.

Situation 3

Here's the handywork:

* Mister X shows picture
Bloke_Y: Hmmm... I don't like the colours.
Mister_X: I do like the colours myself..
Bloke_Y: It should have more red, and the eyes should be further apart. The hands need a lot of work. I don't like the way she looks, maybe change her expression?

Mister X is overwhelmed by the bad crits. He starts doubting his work, but is still pretty sure it looks quite alright.

Analysis

Level of respect, friendliness: Limited
Usefulness: Some
Result: X is overwhelmed by crits, starts doubting the quality of his work in general.

Situation 4

Same work.

* Mister X shows picture
Bloke_Y: Nice job man! Quite an improvement over the previous version..
Mister_X: Thanks!
Mister_X: Anything look wrong to you?
Bloke_Y: Well, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, but to me it's lacking reds. The whole picture comes across as rather cold.
Bloke_Y: If that was what you were going for, it's alright ofcourse.
Mister_X: Well.. I was trying to portray more warmth..
Bloke_Y: Definately needs more red in the tones then.
Bloke_Y: Also, are the eyes a bit too far apart? Maybe check reference for that..
Mister_X: Hmm.. dunno.. might have to check that, yes
Bloke_Y: Keep up the good work, I love the detail in the face
Mister_X: Thanks, will do

Analysis

Goal acquired, true opinion conveyed: Almost entirely
Level of respect, friendliness: Ample
Usefulness: A lot
Result: X is pleased and motivated to try and fix the flaws.

Ofcourse, some bits were dramatized. It needs some spice, eh?
Then, what can be deduced from these examples?

Well, there's a few obvious points:

1. Starting off with something bad gives the conversation or message a bad start. There's less of a chance X will listen or properly assimilate the information.
2. Likewise for ending the conversation. Making the last remark a definate negative will leave a 'bad taste' lingering in the mouth of X, making it less likely to be motivated.
3. Using clear and deductable arguments for critique is essential. If something looks wrong, decide why. Explain why, using reference or logics to back it up, and,
4. if it's just your personal opinion, don't forget to mention that too. Something you don't like, is something someone else might really like. Things rarely are, if you catch my drift.

Some less obvious, or related items:

5. It's important to remember what it is you're critting. Is it a W.I.P. or a finished piece? The context usually determines what kind of crits are useful.
6. 'but' is a horrible word. Anything said before the 'b' is immediately discarded mentally, after it has been spoken. If you say something is alright, but needs a lot more work, depending on the context, is usually interpreted as: 'something-something blah blah, it needs a lot of work.'
7. Be aware of the usefulness of what you say. Is it going to help either Y or X? Is it nescessary to point out that single, slight flaw in a finished texture, when it's actually pretty good even without it? Is it a series of work that would make such crits on the first of the series helpful? Would it be purposeful to mention it on release of the last item in that series? Can something be learnt? Does X already know it? Does he (or she) need to?
8. Overreacting does not work. This goes both ways. Calling something awesome when it's average sooner affects the value of the word 'awesome', than the quality of the work in question. Calling something 'hideous', when it's just a bit under par, or not to your personal liking has averse effects. Focusing on a detail as if it were to destroy an item, when it's indeed just a detail, doesn't help much.

It's all common sense, I know. But I see people pissing people off all day, at work, at school, in here, on IRC, everywhere. Therefore, perhaps, this post can come in handy. It won't hurt, in any case. ;]

Again: If something sucks, it sucks. This is mainly about preventing to give someone the impression that you think it sucks, when you don't. It's very much like telling a hooker giving you a BJ that she sucks. No.. wait.. it isn't. Oh well, you get the point, I hope..

Edit:
For Woodsman:
« Last Edit: 2004-05-07, 17:21 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-07, 17:13 »

nice post tab but next time include a nudie pic of some kind.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-07, 18:02 »

I wouldn't get too worked up over Tekhead's complaints, I didn't read them since he edited but they couldn't have been too major and you know everyone here says your stuff is awesome 99.99% of the time. Likewise, don't take my nitpicks the wrong way. Usually they're just slight suggestions made to say something more than "awesome tab" and I'm just trying to be helpfull. Plus, I usually try to mix the notpicks with compliments. Thumbs up!  

Personally, I prefer a bad crit to none at all, or one where people just say "that's good" and don't really go into any detail. Sometimes you get classmates or professors that are afraid to say anything bad, so if you do make a mistake you get 0 help on how to correct it.  Slipgate - Sad
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-07, 18:53 »

Worked up over my complaints??

You know what, screw you. I wasn't serious then. Now I'm getting there.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-07, 19:16 »

I'm not 'getting worked up' over anything. This thread is not directed towards anyone in specific - to pretty much everyone I talk to, this kind of thing is new, it's not Wirehead related only or anything. It is not induced by anything specific in the recent past. I've run into this kind of thing for years, but I speak up now, because I feel like it.
I'm not threatening to ban, harass or edit their posts, not here or elsewhere. I'm not even saying I'm right. I'm probably wrong, although if that's the case, I'm wrong in style what with the jokes and all.

So don't screw me, or edit your posts to remove comments that have indeed proven helpful. I'm just trying to inform anyone that recognizes a pattern of their own in this, that it might not get the right message across. If you do indeed dislike something entirely, and thus are giving me (in this case) the right idea - by all means, ignore this entire thread :]
Hell, if you think it's bullshit, ignore it even when that's not the case. I'm just trying to give away free information that I know has proven helpful for me throughout my short, yet exciting little life.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-07, 19:18 by Tabun » Logged

OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-08, 01:03 »

THIS THREAD SUCKS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 2004-05-08, 01:03 by OoBeY » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-08, 02:22 »

What I get out of this are two basic concerns.  The first has to do with the honesty of the person critiquing, the second has to do with being sensitive toward someone's feelings.  Here's my completely honest take on the matter.

The first part - honesty - is the most important and most valuable.  We all know when someone says "It's nice" or "It looks good" that someone may or may not be telling the truth.  That is where the second part also comes into play, for which I think has a lot more to do with the self-esteem of the artist.  Some people have little faith in their own work, or at least, are never satisfied that it's as good as it could be.  To that kind of person an honest comment of "it's nice" or "very good" may come across as dishonest or even patronizing when the person making the comment had absolutely no alterior motives in mind.  How then do you know which is which?  Sometimes when praise is heaped upon a work that the artist is not satisfied with the artist becomes discouraged.  Conversely, if honest criticism is leveled the artist can again become discouraged because said artist is already convinced their work is still not good enough and therefore the criticism only confirms their fears.  Where then does criticism play a useful role?

For the artist who is more sure of him or herself then criticism can play a useful role, but again only if it's honest.  How that criticism is handled again depends on the person.  If something looks "off" you have to ask yourself if you prefer a brutal and direct but completely honest answer as to why someone thinks it looks "off", or do you want it sugar-coated and not quite as truthful?  Indeed how many corporate CEO's have "yes" men following them around agreeing with bad decicions because they're afraid to level an honest criticism and give advice that might actually be of some merit?  On the other hand criticizing something without providing a useful reason as to why the criticism is being applied is rather pointless as well.  If something is wrong how can it be corrected without a reason?  By criticizing you're doing two things - expressing an opinion, which may or may not be wanted, and attempting to have the artist either change the work (constructive criticism) or give up and feel bad (hostile criticism).

Now I cannot speak for anyone else, but for myself I think having a thick skin is very important if you go looking for criticism.  I tend to ignore criticisms that don't have a reason to back them up.  If someone says "I don't like this" that's fine, but tell me WHY you do not like it, even if you're not sure.  If something looks bad, tell me WHY it looks bad and I'll see if I agree with you.  If you say "OMG D00D THIS SUX0RZ" then you can expect to be fed to the dopefish.  For myself I'd prefer for someone to come out and say point blank what is wrong and why they think it is wrong.  That's the quickest route to correcting a problem.  I can guarantee one thing, however.  If I say that I think something looks nice I am being completely honest.  If I think something sucks or I do not like something about it I will say so and I will say why I do not like it or what I think could be done to improve upon it.  I do not go out of my way to try to put anyone down, but I have a very hard time sugar-coating things so sometimes I can come off as a little boorish, however that is never my intent.  I realize not everyone handles criticism the same way, and I speak more from an engineer's perspective than an artist's per se, but those are my thoughts anyway.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-08, 12:49 »

The post did not cover the receiving side. I certainly agree a thick skin is always a prerequisite to keep at it, because if you know what you're doing, usually you're your own worst enemy ;]

I agree that honesty is important. Yet, I don't think that expressing one's opinion is always entirely nescessary, to the point of destroying the receivers morale. I refer back to point 7 in the first post. You think something sucks. Is that useful to anyone? Is it going to help you? Will it convince the creator to drop it and redo, if you phrase it that way?
And that's what I'm talking about. Not a moral or philosophical extrapolation of such situations, but a simple technique. It doesn't even have to go as far as sugar coating, simply phrasing things politely does miracles. It's like controlling an urge. Do you tell the girl that you want to have sex with her straight away? The same goes when you want to have sex with an artist.. ehr.. I mean.. Well, you know what I mean :]

People just work that way, see point 1 and 2. It's basic psychology, and doesn't involve lying. It even works when the receiver is aware of it happening. That, and careful wording, can do miracles.

In and around Wirehead, tempers are being lost quite often as of late. All I'm saying, is that diplomacy might be of assistance.
I'm not a politician however, and I do not condone dishonesty, even though, when you cough during pronounciation, they sound the same. I'll certainly say I dislike something, when someone asks for an opinion, and that happens to be the case. And indeed, I'll say why. I fully agree that simply stating reasons makes up for a lot of boorishness ;]

What I most often encounter personally, is 'situation 1'. People come up to me and point out a flaw extremely bluntly, apparantly without realizing how that makes them sound. They effectively ignore everything in the piece, but that single detail, and go great lengths to express their dislike of it. Because I assume the impression they make is not intended, I hope to inform them of the effects and the other's P.o.V.

Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-08, 19:46 »

Quote from: OoBeY
THIS THREAD SUCKS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nice comment BUT I think it needs more red.

I love the detail you put into it though I'm crazy about the "." you added at the end...

your comment seems a little ironic to me, which is ok if thats what you were aiming at...
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2004-05-09, 00:59 »

Why, thank you sir! I shall continue to work on and improve my posting!

Wow, that was amazing! Thanks for the help in this exchange, tabun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: