2024-05-05, 17:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strogger all jacked up!  (Read 14614 times)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2004-05-02, 05:23 »

thats right pho you should submit to the crazed requests of every loon that comes in here! now hurry up with that nude code!!
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #21 on: 2004-05-02, 11:37 »

Can I throw my two cents in this?

I actually have Q3DM17 created for Quake2.  It's called "The Longest Three Feet."  Here's a screenshot.

Now, to me, that railgun platform looks a little close, but no matter, we'll try it anyway.  It's probably close because Q2 has to use wind tunnels for jumppads.

Now, I played Q2 deathmatch through all of college.  If my ability to perform grenade-BFG jumps does not cut it, then I'm not sure what will.

In Quake2, in The Longest Three Feet, a rocketjump across the void, even with the rocket fired at an angle, consistently falls (you guessed it) about three feet short.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-05-02, 17:21 »

I believe he was talking about going from one RL spawn to the other.

Honestly, I can rocketjump like mad as the Strogger. Not as good as Skippy of course, but you can get considerable air-time.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-05-02, 19:31 »

O.o that MAP is all jacked up!

It's not really a bad map, but the scale is all wrong :b

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2004-05-03, 17:29 »

Perhaps we've played enough "flame the n00b" for one thread?

Speaking of Q2, whatever happened to Lee'mon's Grunt skins?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #25 on: 2004-05-03, 18:10 »

Quote from: Gnam
Perhaps we've played enough "flame the n00b" for one thread?

Oh come on, there's nothing like a little flamefest  for attracting new fans to the mod Slipgate - Tongue
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-05-03, 19:59 »

and here I was thinking lee finally finished those q2 remake skins  Slipgate - Sad
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2004-05-03, 20:24 »

Say what you like, this is one way to keep the boards active :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #28 on: 2004-05-03, 20:41 »

I am not entirely sure how useful this would be, but there has been an on-going source port of Q2 that enables it to load Q3 data, including maps.  It is called the QFusion engine.  (See here:  http://hkitchen.quakesrc.org/ )  I am not aware of any changes to the gameplay physics, but I have not played the most recent version nor did I check it out in depth when I did play.  I just figured I would post it here for those interested. Slipgate - Smile

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2004-05-04, 20:41 »

I thought lee made somekind of post where he would say that he finished those q2 skins , thats all ,

now about all the classes ,
there all jacked up.

reason:
nobody can remake the classes like they where in there original game .
the reason is we cant port things over .
hell , even a mod that updates your graphics like tenabrea and zdoom make it so that it feels diffirent to do a jump anf that you miss .

the only thing we CAN do is make it as close as possible and balance things out .

let me put it diffirent :
if we would have it true to the original then .
-doom would no longer jump
-doom would no longer be able to duck .
-doom his screen would go completely red when you catch a rocket with your theeth
-doom his shotgun would do random damage up to 300
-the boomstick his knockback would be extremely high like in 99a ( this wouldn't be so bad I think ) Sipgate - Evil
- forget about drowning in water because doom walks on water
-quake1 wouldnt be able to duck anymore .
-quake1 would get 150 or was it 200 armor points for red armor .
-strogg would get that white screeen when he gets hit and that sporking irritating scream when he falls into lava .

and so on .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #30 on: 2004-05-04, 21:05 »

Quote from: games keeper
I thought lee made somekind of post where he would say that he finished those q2 skins , thats all ,
I know Lee'Mon posted pictures of those Q2 skins in a thread like a year ago some time, and they looked done. Certainly it didn't seem like they would take another year to finish. It's like he just forgot about them or something.

if we would have it true to the original then .
-doom would no longer jump
Actually, it might be kinda cool if Doom's jump was limited to reflect the kind of limitations present in Doom 1. ...Like if he couldn't jump very high or had even crappier air control or something... I know slipgate is supposed to be able reach high speeds through skilled circle jumping or whatever, but Doom seems to be able to go much faster just by brute bunny hopping.

You could also try limiting other retroactive features like crouching, but I think in the case of crouching, no one crouches anyway, so it wouldn't have a big effect and it would make crouching even more useless. You could try limiting Doom's up and down aiming too, but that would just be lame. And of course we don't even want to think about up and down auto-aiming.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2004-05-04, 22:00 »

We tried adding a jump limitation to the Doom class for .99b, and it went horribly.  People began missing important jumps and ending up where they didn't want to be, usually fog or void.  When looking at a limitation for a class, the following questions have to be asked:

1)  Does this somehow help the nostalgia factor?
2)  Is this REALLY NECESSARY to do?
3)  Is this going to seriously annoy the players?

I don't like adding handicaps unless there's a serious concern.  All of the gameplay is taking place within the Quake 3 universe, so limiting one class's ability to perform the same feat that every other class can do without difficulty is generally a no-no.  It's an incentive to NOT play that class.  Some limitations we do have in place because they enhance the diversity between classes but there's always something to offset that limitation.  Speed is a good example of that.  Earth Soldiers may be slower than molases, but they can armor up like tanks and those gatling guns dish out damage on average faster than any other weapon, plus they're easy to get.  Some limitations are necessary to prevent "single class dominance".  An example is the reduced armor pickup values for Doom and Slipgate, along with the damage scaleback on Doom's combat shotgun and the general lack of random damage values.

The basic rule we follow is to get things as close as we can to the originals without breaking the game for everyone else.  If we can go dead-on to the original code we will.  If not, we'll do what we can to make the changes as unnoticeable as we can whenever possible so the "old-school feel" isn't lost in the translation.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2004-05-04, 23:05 »

but Doom seems to be able to go much faster just by brute bunny hopping.
Doom's top speed is q3 strafejumping if I remember right. Doom's NOT all that speedy top-end, he just gets there night-instantly.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #33 on: 2004-05-05, 15:11 »

Quote from: games keeper
...that sporking irritating scream when he falls into lava .

I think this is a good idea.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #34 on: 2004-05-05, 19:35 »

The last thing I would want is Doom being able to wall-ride like in D1+2. Who needs "turbo" with that ability??

Then again .... Sipgate - Evil

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #35 on: 2004-05-06, 06:02 »

Actually I think wall riding would be cool if his jumping was inhibited simultaeously to make it balanced. It would be cool if each class had to rely more on their own intrinsic movement techniques. I was playing Q2 tonight and noticed ramp jumping gives you a BIG boost (maybe Gen has the feature but it hasn't been used much yet since there aren't a lot of ramps in the current maps, like there are in the Warehouse.) Also, perhaps it's just me, but it seemed like strafe-jumping accelerated to higher speeds than in Gen, but maybe it just seemed that way cause there were no Doomers and Slippys to chase after.  Slipgate - Smile~ Oh yeah, also it seemed to take much longer to pull the pin on hand grenades.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-06, 06:06 by Gnam » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2004-05-06, 08:37 »

You know what else would be cool? If this thread DIED ALREADY.

(and all the off-topic stuff were moved to a worthy thread)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-05-06, 22:03 »

Well, talking about strafe-jumping with Strogg isn't really off-topic.  The other stuff is so varied I'd have to make 10 different threads for it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2004-05-07, 00:52 »

The original point of the whole thread has been defeated about 10+ posts ago   Slipgate - Roll Eyes
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-05-12, 20:30 »

Btw, for fun's sake, I went and tested the theory that Strogg could not jump the q3dm17 gap.
It's nonsense. The first try (hence the demo name) that I recorded, was spot on. You can even get farther, if you execute it perfectly.

No bullshit -> here's the (99d) demo to prove it:

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/tmp/q3dm17-1.zip

Remember, it is not always the tool that is the cause of failure - sometimes it's the person using it :]

There's only one kind of 'sick trickjump' that isn't possible in Generations yet, and that's the so-called 'circle-jump'. But even that may still be in the works.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-12, 20:33 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: