2024-05-12, 14:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with QWorld type skins  (Read 8471 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2004-04-15, 00:17 »

Um...yeah, I used the cg_playerColorLevel command and nothing happened. I might be missing something, but I tried all the Ranger skins and none of them used the special colors. I also tried all sorts of different values for the cg_playerColorLevel and nothing changed. What aim I doing wrong?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-15, 00:20 »

Playercolorlevel is a weird setting. It makes everyone with wearing ranger/default glow at a specified light level. The colors that show up are your color1/color2 settings (think strogg railtrail).

/cg_playercolorlevel 192 is the recommended setting.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-15, 00:41 »

This also only works on the DEFAULT Ranger skin.  If you are setting it for yourself, you need to do this:

/cg_thirdperson 1

To see the colors render on your own model.  

/cg_thirdperson 0

Will take you out of thirdperson mode.  The colors will not display on the head model in the HUD, and they do not render in the UI menus either, only in-game on pants and shirt for Ranger/Default.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-15, 03:19 »

That's the thing, I used third person to double check and nothing was happening on the default Ranger skin. It there some setting I might have tripped that would interfere with it?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-15, 04:01 »

This may sound stupid, but you are trying this in Generations and not normal Q3 right?  Here's what you need to do:

/cg_playercolorlevel 192 (or anything greater than 0 and less than 256)
/model ranger
Press the TAB key to force your model to load
/cg_thirdperson 1

setting color1 and color2 will change your pants and shirt colors.  Example:

/color1 6
/color2 4

Will give you red shirt and yellow pants.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-15, 04:02 by Phoenix » Logged

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-15, 06:58 »

I found the culprit. It was something in the graphics settings. I don't know what it was exactly but
1) It was using the setting carried over from vQ3 as I had yet to change them in Gen (I just finally donwloaded .99c+d yesterday)
2) They were set pretty low because I was having problems with Q3 (I think it was actually do to ISP problems, but that's not important)
I'm guessing one of these two things had something to do with it. Maybe my lightning settings were too low and that was blocking the color level from showing through? I don't know, but I changed to 'normal' settings and now it works.

I actualy like the lower settings like around 75 better, the color feels more subtle, instead of the usualy day glow team colors (just my drab personal preference). The only problem with that is the color from the default skin bleeds through. That's actually cool though, because you can use the color underneath plus the top color to mix colors that aren't available. Like, if you use red for the shirt or yellow for the pants and then lower the color level you can make orange, which is cool cause there's no orange rail color.

Still, perhaps you might make a dummy skin with grayscale pants and shirt to use for this feature, then add more rail colors? That way you could make the colors as dark or light as you want. Also, is there a way via bind or config to save different color settings for different classes? I like my strogg rail but it doesn't look good on Ranger.

Anyway, thanks for your help Pheonix.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-15, 10:15 »

Tis odd... my color preference is just the opposite of Pho's... yellow shirt/red pants.

He rises from the ashes.. I rise from the ashes...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

*cough* Anyway... not sure on that, Gnam. Maybe someone else will know. Slipgate - Wink

-ph33r the pointless post, heh heh-

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-15, 15:14 »

Quote from: Gnam
Still, perhaps you might make a dummy skin with grayscale pants and shirt to use for this feature, then add more rail colors?
I rather like that idea, actually Slipgate - Smile
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-15, 15:41 »

I don't recall hearing about greyscale pants/shirts, but I do recall hearing talk of giving the playercolorlevel treatment to the other slipgate characters' default skins.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-15, 17:58 »

Also, is there a way via bind or config to save different color settings for different classes? I like my strogg rail but it doesn't look good on Ranger.

Yes, just put color1 and color2 statements in your class.cfg files, where "class" is the class you wish to set them up for.  There are 5 files:

Earth.cfg
Doom.cfg
Slipgate.cfg
Strogg.cfg
Arena.cfg

As for the graphics settings, I'm glad you mention that.  Vertex lighting kills secondary shader stages, so if you had vertex lighting enabled yes, that would turn off the custom player colors.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-15, 19:03 »

ConfusedUs: "but I do recall hearing talk of giving the playercolorlevel treatment to the other slipgate characters' default skins."

For some reason I think the colorlevel thing would look HIGHLY out of place on Keel and Uriel...

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-15, 20:32 »

For some reason I think the colorlevel thing would look HIGHLY out of place on Keel and Uriel...

Like I said, talk. Not set in stone. Slipgate - Wink
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-15, 21:01 »

depends on how it would color him .

but I think it would even look good on tankjr
or coloring doom .or klesk .

problem models would be bones , keel , uriel , orbb ( unless it is possible to color its IRIS)

with other words , all the models  that only exist out of 1 main color ( light brown and darkvrown is 1 color for me ) would form  a small problem i think .

unless who got a very good skinner

/me looks at ward
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-15, 23:58 »

Aye, it was the vertex lighting. Maybe add a blurb about it in the manual under the 'playercolorlevel description?

The Challenge Promode mod has 'quakeworld style' customizeable skins for every model, I don't think it's too difficult, Bones actually seems to be popular with this feature, although the way CPMA did it looked crappy because there was no 'color level' command so everything was just dayglow with no shading.

I don't think it's a necessary feature for all the models in Gen. It's good for Ranger because there aren't a lot of options for his model and it was a feature for him in the original Quake. I think the major improvement for this feature would be to have the under-skin be grayscale and then instead of using the railtrail colors (which are all neon and not exactly meant to go on combat clothing), reproduce the original set of colors from Q1 and use that instead. I could see this feature working on Doom as well though I'd like to see an equally unique set of colors. Also, I think using this for Visor would be a major help because he's the only cool model left in the Arena class. For Strogg, it would be cool to have all the original Q2 skins brought back for Grunt and Major (I know somewhere I saw someone allready did all the Grunt skins) and then maybe 1 or 2 new skins for TankJr and others. For Earth, maybe a couple more custom skins for Sarge (different types of cammo?), and maybe 1 for each of the other models would do the job.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 00:04 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-16, 06:02 »

We did this primarily for Ranger since there are so few Slipgate model and skin choices at the moment.  The dayglow effect has to do with the shader functioning for code-based colorization.  I cannot remove the dayglow effect from that unless someone has $500,000 so that we can license the Quake III engine from Id Software.  The easier solution is to just make a bunch of new skins if you want color choices, but seeing that we were a bit constrained for time, it was easier to set the colors up this way for the time being.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-16, 17:39 »

I only meant there was  a dayglow effect in CPMA, (and in Gen if you turn the color level too high). I think it works fine for what it's intended for even though there are a few details to iron out. I also think having the option to be dayglow is good, because some people just like bright colored skins, and also it can serve as a sort of handicap (players can agree to use high color levels so no one can hide in the shadows.)
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 17:44 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-17, 14:08 »

Well, shadows become moot if you do /r_mapoverbrightbits 3 or higher.

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-18, 22:07 »

What's the command to move your 3rd person camera?  Say I want to look at the side of myself, or from the front.
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-18, 23:26 »

Quote from: dna
What's the command to move your 3rd person camera?  Say I want to look at the side of myself, or from the front.
cg_ThirdPersonAngle (the angle)
cg_ThirdPersonRange (the distance)

note that those are Cheat-Protected, so a devmapall may be in order to minimize that issue. mess with those settings until you find the one you're looking for. Slipgate - Smile
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-19, 00:17 »

Hmmm...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: