2024-05-05, 17:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Private Headers (What exactly...)  (Read 4380 times)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2003-11-22, 20:30 »

Browsing thru the Sheilds Up Page wanting to learn more about private headers.  I'm looking at this explanation, but I'm not entirely sure what it is saying.  I understand what is going on, but the page is unclear as to what initiating the header exchange.  I had assumed that the server your browser is trying to reach is requesting this info, yes?  And your browser is just answering the questions posed to it?  This page makes it look as if my browser is initiating this exchange with just whatever info it wants.  Well, if that's the case, how do I edit this?  Is there a way to limit/tell your browser to say something, or can you control that from the server?  Or is this just one of those holes you can't do anything about?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-23, 03:36 »

The link above won't work, 'reloading' is supressed. Private Headers doesn't ring a bell, but referer headers do. But servers don't really asked questionsin this case, your browser spits these out itself (especially if you're using the dreaded M$ IE).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-23, 04:18 »

OK, yes, that sounds like the same thing.  
What initiates this?  The browser just decides to spit it out by itself?  Nothing requests the info?  If the server doesn't want it, why is the browser giving it out?  

Obviously the server is using the info contianed - what repercussions are there if your browser no longer gives them out?  And is it possible to code a web page that states it doesn't want them?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-23, 04:25 »

Here is an example of my header output:
Code:
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif

My browser states it will accept image/jpeg.  Does that mean it will NOT accept .jpg?  Or is the browser smart enough to know that?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: