2024-05-06, 00:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm glad to be alive  (Read 3835 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-06-14, 20:20 »

So I rode with a co-worker to a business meeting in Roanoke, VA (about a 45 minute drive) today.

1) Do normal people really drive like that? I was terrified the whole time. Cigarette in one hand, cellphone in the other, steering with her knees while weaving in and out of traffic at 20mph over the speed limit. In pouring rain.

Not to mention the tailgating. Literally less than a foot of space between her bumper and the person in front of her.

Holy spork I'm glad to still be alive. She's the kind of driver I cuss at on a very regular basis. spork.

2) How the hell does anyone listen to rap at high volume with the bass cranked up and not eat Tylenol like candy? I've got such a splitting headache from the constant THUD THUD THUD I can barely see straight. This only re-affirms my opinion that rap music is complete and utter shit.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-15, 04:34 »

I know what you mean about the rap, it's sporking ridiculous! And don't get me started on Cell phones.
Glad to know you're ok.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-15, 04:43 »

And people wonder why carpooling doesn't take off?  Glad you're ok!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-15, 05:01 »

I am also glad to see you made it in one piece.  I had a very bad experience with car-pooling once myself.  While I arrived at my destination in record time, (although I was already late,) I don't consider saving me 8 minutes out of the 15 it should have took to be worth the 5 years taken out of my life-span in sheer horror of imminent collision at a speed of over 100 mph in rush-hour traffic in a 70 mph zone.

Oh and not everyone drives horribly, just most don't think about the consequences of their actions enough.  It's the "it'll happen to the other guy" syndrome.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-15, 05:03 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-15, 13:51 »

I always say:

If you don't slow down(or whatever) I will be sick all over the inside of your car.

That has always had the desired effect so far, perticullaly if you burb a few times etc.

Sory if the spellings a bit off today. A kid thretened to shoot me thou the head in school yesterday. I'm shock up a tad.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-15, 13:52 by shambler » Logged
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-16, 07:16 »

Was your coworker in an SUV? A lot of people think they can drive an SUV and never worry if they hit someone or not. This sounds like a good reason for more public transportation. It's not like carpooling because a big fat transit bus, railcar, 747, or other large transport vehicle can't afford to weave and wobble at high speeds. Imagine a transit bus trying to turn a 90 degree corner going at least 60 mph. Most likely the thing would spin on two planes as the rear passes up the front and the top heads for the pavement. Not to mention the fact that 1 large bus can hold at least 30 people.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-16, 11:10 »

Problem is those busses only work in metro areas, not interstate distance, and most people have no time to themselves anymore.  At home it's kids, parents, or roommates, or some combination of those.  At work, it's coworkers, employers, clients, and/or the general public intrude.  In the car, YOU are in control, and you are alone within your steel shell.  You do what you want with nobody (except the stray highway patrol looking for speeders) looking over your shoulder.  At least, that's the unspoken psychology of it.  Add to that the fact that most people who ride public transportation out of necessity usually live in poorer or ghetto areas, the inconvenience and insecurity of having to wait at a bus stop (do this in the rain a few times and you'll go back to driving) and the fact that you're confined with other people and it's no stretch as to why it's not very popular.  As long as people can afford to drive themselves around they will.

As for SUV's... they have an illusion of safety and strength.  Sure, they can beat up on the average sedan in a fender bender, but they're not tanks, and I hear about people driving SUV's dying all the time.  Telephone polls and trees don't discriminate.  Nor do tractor-trailers.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: