2024-05-12, 23:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane (wtf happend to the weather?)  (Read 7087 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2005-01-11, 22:17 »

A really nasty hurricane hitted the west part of sweden, which i live in it knocked out my phone line, power and all that shit on top of that it took a part of the roof of our garage.. simply the last days has been a hell for me. and it's supposed to be winter now..but it's more like spring. this is sure som weird shit!
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-11, 22:52 »

I don't think hurricaines are possible in arctic regions.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-12, 01:58 »

What, you mean to tell me you didn't watch The Day After Tomorrow?  What kind of Lib are you?  Slipgate - Laugh

Seriously though, any kind of weather is possible anywhere in the world.  The earth is a dynamic system, and climate change and freak weather do happen.  It's not just Sweden, either.  You have tsunamis following the earthquake, California is getting soaked, it's going to be as warm as 70f (21.1c) here in Ohio tomorrow, when it should be much, much colder.  The sun is no longer following the "expected" sunspot cycle, it's been extremely active the last decade especially, there's been other "fun" stuff going on in the solar system, like the dust storms on Mars, etc...  It's all connected.  The sun is more active, the earth's weather gets more chaotic, fairly simple stuff there.

Of course, there are two alternate explanations commonly floated about.  One is that man somehow is causing climate change through global warming, the other is that all of this is the wrath of God, or some kind of sign.  Personally I think it's a mix of all these things, but the sun is the most prevalent player in this drama as far as I'm concerned.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-12, 02:46 »

Assaamite: only the nothern part of sweden lays in the artic circle, sweden might look small but it really isnt Slipgate - Tongue we do have hurricanes here but not very often..the last time we had a hurricane like this was in 1969. so i really shouldnt complain but when it hits it hits bad :/ usually we have alot of storms in autum but NEVER during winter....
I think the sun is responsible for alot of this but i also think the "greenhose" effect do have it's impacts on our climate. But no one can say for sure but the fact is there is something weird about the weather that can't be denied .
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-12, 11:34 »

I believe that this kind of thing happens every so often to the world.

Humanity doesn't help mind.

there is also a lot of strange shit happening here in the UK at the moment too, but it's not the weather.

maybe the poles are about to flip over again.

we pagans have things to do that we cannot put off any longer (trying to sound misterious and important!)

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-13, 22:58 »

the weather here rised to 14 degrees celcius that day  wich is extremely hot this time of the year
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-14, 01:30 »

Flooding around the river here, and what's this I hear about Venice having beached gondolas?

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-14, 01:51 »

There was a huge ice storm in the deep South, where even snow flurries are a rare occurrence.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-14, 01:55 by Woolie Wool » Logged
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-14, 08:03 »

Quote from: Phoenix

Of course, there are two alternate explanations commonly floated about.  One is that man somehow is causing climate change through global warming, the other is that all of this is the wrath of God, or some kind of sign.  Personally I think it's a mix of all these things, but the sun is the most prevalent player in this drama as far as I'm concerned.
I'm going to say act of man since desimating Sweden with a hurricane wouldn't be very Christian of God.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-14, 11:01 »

Well I don't know, Sodom and Gammorah took it on the chin.  Besides, if God is doing anything here it would be in the "warning" phase.  Warnings are an act of mercy, giving people a chance to pay attention and repent of sin and seek Him instead.  Judgement and wrath would be unmistakable, and a hundredfold more destructive at least.  Besides, I think God can establish his own motives without needing any of us to second guess them.

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-14, 15:45 »

It's all going wacky.
Pennsylvania's usually the victim of a lot of ice storms this time of the year. So far we've been nothing but the wet stuff with temperatures in the 50s and 60sF.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-01-14, 17:27 »

I'll represent the worlds Agnostics by saying things don't have to be warnings, punishment or retaliative just because they're bad.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-01-14, 19:23 »

maybe the earth wants a clean slate.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-01-14, 20:06 »

Quote from: Tabun
I'll represent the worlds Agnostics by saying things don't have to be warnings, punishment or retaliative just because they're bad.
*nods in agreement*
Sometimes a rock is just a rock.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #14 on: 2005-01-14, 20:56 »

Well I don't know, Sodom and Gammorah took it on the chin.  Besides, if God is doing anything here it would be in the "warning" phase.  Warnings are an act of mercy, giving people a chance to pay attention and repent of sin and seek Him instead.  Judgement and wrath would be unmistakable, and a hundredfold more destructive at least.  Besides, I think God can establish his own motives without needing any of us to second guess them.
Actually, I do second guess him.  Everyday.

And Tab my boy, the only reason I brought it up was because "devine wraith" was put out as an arguement for Soddom and Gom...I mean...Sweden's current plight...
« Last Edit: 2005-01-14, 20:58 by DaMan McDeth 666 » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2005-01-14, 21:30 »

According to the Bible, Moses argued with God and won.

But anyway, this is just a bunch of freak weather. Don't worry about it. Unless you live in southern California.Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-01-15, 05:27 »

Quote from: Woolie Wool
According to the Bible, Moses argued with God and won.
Slipgate - Off Topic  Got chapter and verse to back that up? Slipgate - Off Topic

McDeth:  I don't remember anyone in this thread stating that God was judging Sweden.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-15, 05:28 by Phoenix » Logged

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #17 on: 2005-01-15, 10:02 »

Of course, it could be a case of God just *felt* like wasting Sweden in a hurricane. So yea, if that was argued, then I could see that...

Beer? I'm down.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2005-01-15, 23:37 »

Lol well sweden is a Godforsaken Land! Slipgate - Tongue
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #19 on: 2005-01-15, 23:43 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
Lol well sweden is a Godforsaken Land! Slipgate - Tongue
LOL, that's what my grandfather always told me.

Beer? I'm down.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: