2024-05-10, 19:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 52
  Print  
Author Topic: it's... the Off-Topic Topic (it just won't die!)  (Read 409123 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #340 on: 2006-10-20, 07:53 »

Can we please get back off-topic?  Doom - Huh?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #341 on: 2006-10-20, 10:31 »

I proclaim this week, "Kick-ass Soda Week."

I have found and drank...

Archer Farm's Blood Orange Italian Soda which is ungodly good.

Jones Soda's Candy Corn Soda which is ungodly sweet (cream soda with a spork load of caramel and the dye will stain your hands for a day.)

Jones Soda's Spider Cider which is better than Mazanita Sol.

Jones Soda's Berried Alive which tastes digusting, (liquid pez flavored ala Redbull.)

Jones Soda's Gruesome Grape which tastes a notch better than most grape sodas.

Jones Soda's Monster Mojito which tastes sort of like ginger ale mixed with licorice.

I also stumbled across some new teas put out by POM Wonderful.

Pomegranate Lychee Green Tea for the win!  I mean come on, how many people can say they drank lychee juice?  Lychee's are a bitch to find, and most independent fruit markets are non-existant nowadays.

So drink up and wash these past, few, horrible weeks away in sobriety!
« Last Edit: 2006-10-20, 10:40 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #342 on: 2006-10-20, 17:52 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Can we please get back off-topic?  Doom - Huh?
But staying on-topic IS off-topic. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2006-10-20, 17:53 by IceDragonVisy » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #343 on: 2006-10-20, 18:14 »

Are we still not on the subject of amnesia?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #344 on: 2006-10-21, 01:56 »

Quote from: Tabun
Are we still not on the subject of amnesia?
I forget... where am I?
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #345 on: 2006-10-21, 02:29 »

Who am I? Where am I? WHAT am I? Slipgate - WTF
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #346 on: 2006-10-21, 04:29 »

You're the guy that owes me lots and lots of money.  Slipgate - Ninja

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #347 on: 2006-10-21, 06:46 »

Excuse me, who are you?  Excuse me, who are you?  Excuse me, who ARE you?  Excuse me, who are you?  Excuse me, who are you?  EXCUSE me, who are you?  Excuse me, you are who?  Excuse me, who are you?  Excuse me... who are you?  EXCuSE me, whO aRe you?  Excuse me, who ARE you?  Excuse you, me are who?  Who are you, excuse me... you are who?  Are me, excuse who you?  You are excuse, who me?  EXCUSE ME, WHO ARE YOU????

perfect...

BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #348 on: 2006-10-21, 17:10 »

Who are we?  Why do we exist?  Will we ever know the answers to these questions?  Can we ever find out?  Why am I asking these deep philosophical questions...?

I'm sure we'll find out... eventually.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #349 on: 2006-10-21, 23:50 »

Nay the grandest of questions ever to plague mankind simply is...

uh... where are my pants?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #350 on: 2006-10-22, 08:07 »

Questions of great significance?  And you want answers here?  On this topic?  Slipgate - Distraught

And who the hell left their pants by my nest anyway?  Pervert.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #351 on: 2006-10-22, 23:25 »

Slipgate - Shifty *yoink*

/me runs off with the pants and sells them to an imp on Ebay.

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #352 on: 2006-10-23, 01:36 »

Slipgate - Surprised  i really need to start drinking more....
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #353 on: 2006-10-30, 10:56 »

I hereby proclaim this week to be salt-poisoning week!

In lieu of the upcoming holiday and the end of my mandatory overtime, I have stocked up (wasted money,) on the following goodies...

Beef jerky
Jalepeno Pretzel Pieces
Hot Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces
Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Pieces
Cashew Chicken

And to round off turning my blood into sea-water, I have the artery-clogging goodness of...

Ice-cream
Cookie Cake for my birthday

And as for the shit I actually needed to buy...

Cereal
Toilet Paper
Plastic Spoons

Yes, this is American excess at its finest.  Feel free to stop on over and eat some of this shit before I have a heart attack before age 30.

Oh and I'm working on something I should have finished for the forums a long time ago.  I'm not making any promises, but I'll see what I can do.  Slipgate - Wink

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #354 on: 2006-10-30, 17:54 »

You mean you're finally going to make a signature?

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #355 on: 2006-10-31, 01:39 »

Salt-poisoning? Nonsense! I've been known to eat just plain salt. I eat lots of salty nummies. Slipgate - Laugh
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #356 on: 2006-10-31, 02:32 »

Apparently the cartoonist Peyo got the idea for the Smurfs when someone asked him to pass the salt ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #357 on: 2006-10-31, 15:02 »

Everything has a fatal dose, even water. You can die of water!
Basically, DON'T DRINK WATER! IT'S BAD FOR YOU!
« Last Edit: 2006-10-31, 15:02 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #358 on: 2006-10-31, 17:42 »

More interestingly, there is a remarkable development in language to be uncovered when you think about water as poisonous (or at least as it having a 'lethal dosage').

Pure, aside from still having the meaning "unmixed" and "clean", today, in etymological history also has roots in ("pious" is derived from "purus", for instance) cleanliness of the soul. Purity as such was not something that just signified some kind of cold-factual unmixed state of something, but an overal connection with moral cleanliness or a connection with the good. "Pure evil", for instance, seems to have lost its peculiar paradoxicality. Pure things (well, at least those that were not 'purely bad'), were good for you. Water was one of those things (it was considered to be the life-giving liquid by many, and rightly so).

The funny thing is, that pure water is quite poisonous. A total lack of minerals and other 'unpure' properties of the liquid makes it disposed to absord minerals from its surroundings. it is you who constitutes these surroundings, then, by only a few glasses of water, you could end up with a fatal lack of bodily minerals.

If this really is the case, then the original connection of purity (of water) with health seems to be shattered, at least in this respect. The awkward hype of 'pure water' sellers then gets a rather strange dimension, even aside from the less controversial claim that some contact with dirt and germs is beneficial to  health by helping to build up resistance.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #359 on: 2006-10-31, 18:39 »

While the claim that exposure to biological things builds immunity may be controversial, it's also empirically provable.  You contract a virus.  Your body creates antibodies for the virus.  Your body then destroys the virus, and becomes immune to that particular virus.  That's what immunity does.  If it didn't, the virus would overtake your cells and multiply endlessly at an exponential rate, eventually killing the host organism.  It doesn't mean you won't get sick, it means you no longer get sick because of exposure to that organism.  The same goes with bacteria.  People who live in one area of the world become accustomed to bacteria that is native to the water and environment there.  When they travel, they get sick because in a new area they are not accustomed.  A common example is the tourist advice "don't drink the water".  Where?  Anywhere away from where you live.  Why?  You get tummy upset because your body has to adapt to new bacterial strains it's not familiar with.  Until it does, the bacteria overgrows in your gut and you become King of the Water Closet for a few days.

There's also inherent immunity.  Viruses and bacteria can only attack certain organisms in certain ways.  A virus that kills humans, for example, may have no effect on dogs, the same as you won't catch the flu from your cat.  Usually viruses that can affect one species don't affect dissimilar life forms.  There are exceptions, and unfortunately a form of influenza that is quite lethal to my avian kin is also very dangerous to you humans.  Unfortunate not only that it can kill you, it is more unfortunate that you will kill millions of birds whose existence is relegated to being your food simply for being sick.  Without going on a tirade about how mankind treats his fellow creatures as a rule, this is akin to stopping a plague by nuking cities.  Nevermind that if you worked to figure out why the virus crosses species you might find a better solution for both your kind and for birds.  Influenza, typically, begins in birds and is picked up by swine.  It does not affect the swine, but within swine it mutates, and then becomes the human-transmissible influenza.  What you call "bird flu" is a misnomer - ALL influenzas begin in birds.  What you call bird flu is a strain of avian influenza that can be transmitted directly from birds to humans without having to mutate first.

Now, dealing with inherent immunity there's the controversial part Tab mentioned.  The idea is that if, when young, you are exposed to bacteria common to one's surroundings it will build your body's immune system, whereas not being exposed to them will result in a substandard immunity.  With everything in nature, there's a balance that must be struck.  One shouldn't bathe their children in a staff culture, but one shouldn't put them in a clean room either.  What I don't understand is why the idea should be controversial at this point, except to an uneducated germophobic public that uses bleach and hand sanitizer on everything because they buy into the marketing hype.  Vaccinations are based on this principle entirely, that by exposing someone to a weakened or dead form of a virus, like polio or smallpox or tetanus, that the body's immune system will perceive it as a threat and form antibodies against it.  Compare this to natural creatures who have no medical science.  They can only gain immunity through environmental exposure and developing it naturally and passing this natural immunity down as an inhereted trait.  In short, it's no crime to let your kids play in the dirt.  They'll be healthier in the long run for it.

Back to water, I don't care for pure water myself.  Pure water tastes stale and I don't like to drink it.  Water should have a good amount of minerals and an even better amount of oxygen.  The best tasting water comes from lakes with a stiff wind over them, or a clear stream that's fed by a spring.  Of course... anymore it's hard to find good water that industry has not polluted.  On the flip side, if you're in the desert, the best tasting water is "whatever you can find" after you haven't had any for some time.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 52
  Print  

Jump to: