2024-05-08, 04:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modem (best for gaming)  (Read 10536 times)
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-11, 20:12 »

yeah, that's the BEFSR41.  here's how your setup will work (more or less - done up jeffk style):

edit: urk, you posted while i was posting :x

let me research that stuff for ya.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-11, 20:16 by Lt. Phil » Logged
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-11, 20:23 »

if you go for an all-in-one, i'd probably recommend the netgear, if for no other reason than i can't find reviews/forum posts on the conexant equipment on dslreports.com.  however, before you spring for it, you've always gotta make sure the equipment is compatible with your ISP.  although most DSL modems made today will work with most ISPs, there are some modems that are limited in the types of connections they support, and there are some ISPs with eccentric configurations that many modems don't support.  a call to your ISP with the mfgr/model of the equipment should tell you whether it'll work or not.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #22 on: 2004-04-11, 20:32 »

Thanks. I'll do that after the hols.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #23 on: 2004-04-11, 23:51 »

Won't your ISP provide a modem?  Or do they make you rent?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2004-04-12, 20:48 »

Yes they gave me a modem, but it is a USB voyger 100, that works fine for most things, but keeps crashing me out of games.

BT say it is not really designed for games, and since it was free, and games were not mentioned I'm going to sort out a decent router next week. I have already bought a PCI adsl modem, which I'll use when it comes (tomorrow, I think. I bought it before all the chat about routers)  until then. I'll then pass it on to my son, who lives with his mam to use, I suppose. He has a USB one but it is the size of a VHS recorder! Slipgate - Laugh
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2004-04-13, 16:52 »

Latest news on the router vs PCI modem front:

Got the PCI this morning. Am sending it back tomorrow morning. spent 2 hours setting it up, with lots of help and phonecalls but could not get it to work with BT line.

I intend to order a combi router/modem tomorrow. Then I can have a lan party, at least. Probubly the Netgear, unless anybody knows a better/simpler one.

What the hell. I've just ordered a netgear modem/router. from Amazon.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-13, 17:16 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #26 on: 2004-04-17, 15:04 »

Well I have the netgear router and it seems fine.
I've set up a game (UT99) on my 3 comps here in the one room. (Almost a Lan party, but I'm the only one here)

Only thing is, I can't get the two without printers to print. Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can access the my documents on all three from any, and have tried to set the print sharing up, but no go so far...

Windows M.E. by the way. Slipgate - Shifty

Also I can't share the internet connection...
« Last Edit: 2004-04-17, 15:09 by shambler » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: