2024-05-09, 23:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Body Modifications (Yay or Nay)  (Read 12520 times)
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« on: 2005-03-21, 07:25 »

This stems from the fact I have been thinking lately on getting my tongue split, positive and negative feed back I would like.  I have been doing some research on this myself, and have gained a deal of knowledge in this area, so please if you have health feed back, point out sources for me, as I will enjoy looking them over.

Those who do not know what a 'Tongue Split' is here is some info for you, if you care to look it over.

A breif faq on what it is.
Tongue Splitting
A few pictures. Not for the easily grossed out, or faint of heart.
Tongue Splitting 1
Tongue Splitting and one of the Processes

I made the poll with 5 answers, as I am sure most are willing for a variety of different  modifications, and I would like to see where this leads.

On a side note, one of  Body Modifications Ezines Goals State: "To never judge one body modification or manipulation activity as more "right" than another and never succumb to public (mainstream or non-mainstream) pressure to draw this line."

« Last Edit: 2005-03-21, 07:53 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-21, 09:19 »

Personal choice really, but I don't understand the appeal of a tongue-split myself.

*shrug* No metal and no ink in this boy, just not my style.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-21, 10:14 »

I don't mind piercing and stuff that looks cool! but when it comes to "mod" the body i think it is a bit too far. but that's my thought if it feel right for you then do it! Slipgate - Smile
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-21, 10:24 »

hmmm

wouldn't really be for me either

just make sure that you prepared to live with it

as if it's a fad and you end up regretting it

there's no going back  :!:
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-21, 10:34 »

Exactly, and there's always the risk of something like infection occuring. That really would not be a pretty thing. If it's done by a professional, then the risk should be fairly low, but it's still present. Some people have piercings get infected even if they take care of them the right way.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-21, 14:10 »

wel , there is metal in me , but only with a good purpose , to make my cheeks stronger  ( old operation leftovers ) .
but anyway , thos are worth it since they improve something .

If something doesnt improve you then leave it .

btw , look what with all those piercings can happen
http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/4752/
« Last Edit: 2005-03-21, 14:17 by games keeper » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-21, 15:50 »

No option in the poll reflects my standpoint, so I'll just type it here:

- Don't care - Body mods are silly hypes, cries for attention and things to 'show off' with.

Sure, some really do it because they utterly believe it to be beautiful, but the thing is, most people just do it for the shock effect. They'll be part of a group of people that are seen and feel to be 'dangerous', 'tough'. I've seen some people get tattoos just to spite their parents. I've talked to people piercing their brow, and when asked a simple 'why?' they couldn't produce a convincing answer.

I'm certain that sometime in the future, it will be fashionable or cool or whatever the appropriate term is then, to amputate a finger. Then, after several years, it will be old-fashioned, commonplace or even boring -- just like the (tribal) tattoo is nowadays. I know more people with tattoo's, than without, which makes me special without ever having done anything to my body ;]

That said, I see no reason not to do it either. If you like pain, or you think it's important enough to go through with, why not? I don't frown upon the act, I frown upon the reasons, the lack of them, and the odd idea that the body wouldn't be an interesting enough tool by itself. I chuck this sort of thing up with fake breasts, labia reduction, dick enlargement and chinese bound feet - I wouldn't stop anyone doing that either, It'll never shock or disgust me, but I wouldn't be in awe, or applaud it, ever.
If you want to, go for it, and let nobody stop you - just be damned sure you don't think you want to.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-21, 15:54 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-03-21, 16:41 »

I neither condone it nor support it, but I do agree with the general notion of being "damn sure" you want to do it.  Slipgate - Smile

To be honest the only body modification I've ever thought about isn't on the list, and it isn't available.  For lack of a better word, I'll use the term coined by the Batman Beyond episode about it, "splicing," the act of combining other animal DNA with your own for a unique physical appearance.  I don't ever imagine something like that being legalized, but who knows :p
« Last Edit: 2005-03-21, 16:44 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-03-21, 16:51 »

I don't care what you do to yourself, but think about this.

There is a large social stigma that goes along with anything beyond small tatoos and piercings. They're considered strange, by society as a whole, and even more importantly, by most corporations and businesses. I know you want to go into management at WalMart, and you're on a good track to do so.

But if they already frown upon your earrings, what do you think they'll say when you come in looking like a snake?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-03-21, 18:51 »

Im gonna be plain here. Getting your tongue split is a stupid idea. Dont do it. If you get your tongue split im going to call you cobra commander from now on.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #10 on: 2005-03-21, 19:57 »

No offense but personally things like a ring though the nose the chain thing on a face and yes even toungue splitting is freakish. Makes you look like a monster, and if you plan on going to collage and getting a job in your life, just say "Not worth it" The human body is a delicate priceless creation, a gift, no other like it; respect it, and protect it. Don't abuse it, many people regret it because they can't get a decent job. I didn't create the rules, I just follow them and spread them. I know it sucks when you have obsess over appearence to get a job, or a good spouse. I hate life and all its rules, but one's belifes almost always condradicts truth, think in truth, the thing that hurts. Do what you want, but remember, it can never be undone.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-21, 20:07 by Little Washu » Logged

l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #11 on: 2005-03-21, 21:35 »

Well then.

I've had my eyebrow pierced twice. Both times done by professionals. The 1st time it got infected and my eye was swollen shut. Had to take it out. Got it redone and had it for 2 years. I got it done b/c I liked it. I liked the way it looked. I liked the way it felt. I did it b/c I wanted to. But now that I no longer have it, I don't like it on other ppl anymore. I think it looks tacky. *shrug*

Now, I've got a lot of holes in my ears. 6 in the left year, 4 in the right. Most of which are cartilage piercing. So I've just got studs. I have them b/c I like them. I think they look neat. They can also be covered up easily by leaving my hair down. This way I've got them taken care of both for myself, and others around me.

Now that I've said that, I must agree w/ con. Earrings are sth you can hide/take out. Having your tongue split is sth that you can't hide. But I'm not going to say go ahead or don't do it. It's ultimately your choice, so do what you want. But *shrug* I just don't want to see you do this b/c it's a fad or will make you different if that makes sense.
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: 2005-03-22, 00:04 »

Most of us would have seen this, but for those who haven't, here's the archive.org link to Point - Counterpoint edition of Red vs Blue: Should you get a tattoo?.  I'm on Church's side (the blue guy for those who are still catching up with the good stuff) :}

Also, there is one voting option that is missing that I would have liked to see: Deus Ex-style augmentation! Real body modifications.  Well, almost.  Other than that, I agree with Tab's psuedo option.

Regards,

Yickle.

P.S. Woodsman: I like "Cobra Commander" better than "Br00dR00573r" any day! Slipgate - Laugh
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #13 on: 2005-03-22, 04:53 »

Apperantly, my one request to those to research it before making opinions on how it affects health and the like was ignored. One fact: Tongue splitting is fully reversable, more painful and the risks are a bit higher, but it is reversable, as for its visibility, most accounts point out it is generally not noticable. As for the several peircings on my body, all are reversable, and can be removed at any time.

As for social stigmas...I could care less about them, truthfully,  everything I have done to this date is about me, not about what others think.

Thanks to Tabun.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2005-03-22, 05:07 »

Well, here's question for you: Why would you go through something so supposedly painful... just to reverse it later? That doesn't make any sense. If most accounts say it's not readily visible, that means it is still visible.

It's your choice, but not one I would go for. Given the image that Wal-Mart tries to front, this would seriously hamper your chances, man.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-22, 05:09 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #15 on: 2005-03-22, 05:31 »

I agree you should be able to do what you want, if its reverable then thats good, but then again, Makou has a good point. You may not care about what other people think, but your boss does, for me if I ran about managing at work with a snake tongue, I would scare customers away, and I would be out of a job. People must have a BALANCE between social stature and indevidual expression. I know a guy who tatooed f**k you on his fingers and all sorts of interesting things he regrets doing it, even when he got it removed. I have a giant flaming cross tatooed on my back, symbol of the holy spirt. Now I got it on my back because I wanted to express my self, but I could cover it up when I'm at my place of buiness. Sadly the buiness world goes on first impressions soley, so play the game to climb that ladder to riches. After I got promoted to manager, I showed my boss my tatoo, and she said, she probably wouldn't hire me if that was on my face or hands. I'm not saying hide your expressions, I'm saying know where and when to use them. I know this image (we have it too) of wal-mart: Smiling happy pretty perfect face which I think is a thorn in Free Expression's side but I deal with it. Personally I think it's stupid. What I gotta be happy slimie face task master at McDonald's all the time? I got a customer complaint because some of the employees were not happy enough for them. I told them that they are human beings too and have the right to feel what they feel. They complained to the district supervisor about that and how I din't take care of the problem. I called her up and said, What are these people expect me to do, force them to be happy? Wave a magic wand and cast the spell to force their mouths into a smile? I rambled and she just said, That's what I basically said to the customer.  So there are some people out there who don't care about your attire, but unfortunatly most do, and I hate it, but I play the game anyway.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-22, 05:42 by Little Washu » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-03-22, 08:42 »

Health-wise, I'd suggest doing the logical thing and talking to a doctor.  That's the only place you're going to get a straight answer.

My question is... what benefit will this be?  What's the point?  Humans seem to have a tendency to like to change their bodies in unnatural ways.  I don't really understand it myself, I never have.  If you want to be something other than human I certainly could understand that, but forking your tongue will just make you a human with a forked tongue.  I know this will cost money, there's one downside right there.  I just don't see the point to such modifications.  Clothing you can change.  Even ear rings can be removed and some just clip on.  Same with rings.  If you want to adorn yourself, why not just keep it easier?  Any physical modifications are by definition injury.  Keep that in mind as well.  Me, well I look silly enough when I'm molting, I wouldn't go plucking out feathers "just to be different."

It's up to you what you ultimately do, just think it through thoroughly.  Don't jump into it just because it's an underground fad.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2005-03-22, 11:21 »

and here i thought this bird was marked with a ring around his foot .

btw , pho , since your the only 1 in your kind your standing on the brink o extinction , time to chip you little birdy :p
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-03-22, 16:17 »

I can't agree with you there, Washu.

Although I do sometimes feel bitter about 'playing the game' and so on, I've found that there are many ways to avoid it, or make subtle changes in those patterns, and still get out of it what you set out to get.
Also, if your biggest desire in life is to express yourself in ways that others cannot appreciate, then that is your choice - whether or not you would be hired at any specific place would then be an inconvenience that you (wittingly!) accept. There are still many jobs that one can be happy with, even if you gouge out your eye with a spoon.

But let's turn it around; if you're so keen to 'stick it to the man', to be special in whatever way you can imagine (whether or not this is the right way, or for the right purpose, is not being argued here), why on earth would you want to get a managerial job? If you are, for instance, Punk, you do not want to be part of such a formal system.
If you are a Satanist, I can imagine you wouldn't want to work in a church, and thusly wouldn't find it a hindrance that people with upside-down crosses burnt into their foreheads will not become succesful altar boys. Just an extreme example for your pleasure.

I certainly think job prospects are something to keep in mind, but like fads, I don't think they should be the single most important choice factor in your life.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-22, 16:18 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2005-03-22, 17:00 »

Im of the opinion that expressing yourself through modifcations to your body is a pretty primative form of self expression. The scots stopped painting themselfs blue and started playing bagpipes and it seems to have worked out pretty well( granted they were used to express diffrence points ). If lil was really looking to express himself im sure he can find a less shallow and more practicle  way of doing it than just screwing with his tongue.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-22, 17:01 by Woodsman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: