2024-05-08, 01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare moments in DM (Ever have this happen to you?)  (Read 16499 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-09-24, 22:19 »

And so it is in Gen as well.

Tek:  What's even stranger is when I got blown up by a Strogg rocket as a spectator back in .99d.  I put a statement in the damage call function to completely ignore spectators, so in theory that should not ever happen again.

Last night playing Q2 was rather fun.  I railed a guy out of the air and I got called a hacker, despite the fact that I was not in the lead.  I also got called a "noob" repeatedly for going for the powerups on Q2DM3.  Funny, but I thought they were there for a reason.  It's not my fault nobody else seemed to want them at the time!
 Slipgate - Grin

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2004-09-25, 10:09 »

Quote from: Phoenix

Last night playing Q2 was rather fun.
 Slipgate - Off Topic does Q2 run on XP?

what do I need to make it go? (I use telejano for Q1)
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-09-25, 10:14 »

? , every quake runs on xp .
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #23 on: 2004-09-25, 16:51 »

The usual problem with running Quake 2 under WinXP is getting it to install. XP doesn't like to autorun the installer, so you have to explore the contents of the CD and manually start it up. Not a major problem. Slipgate - Smile  Just be careful that you don't accidentally disable DirectX in the window that pops up when it tries to autorun...

I think I witnessed the lava-discharge-survive thing, Pho. I know I saw something like that, and though it was incredibly odd... Slipgate - WTF

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2004-09-25, 18:39 »

oh and if you wanna play quake 1 in opengl , copy the opengl32.dll from your windows over the one in your quake 1 .
since the one in your quake 1 is outdated
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #25 on: 2004-09-25, 19:26 »

Quote from: shambler

Last night playing Q2 was rather fun.
Slipgate - Off Topic does Q2 run on XP?

what do I need to make it go? (I use telejano for Q1)
Just copy the contents of the Install/Data folder to your hard drive and apply the patch.
Voila!
« Last Edit: 2004-09-25, 19:27 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-09-25, 20:41 »

Quote from: games keeper
oh and if you wanna play quake 1 in opengl , copy the opengl32.dll from your windows over the one in your quake 1 .
since the one in your quake 1 is outdated
GK: No the reason is that the opengl32.dll in the quake directory is for  3dfx cards. just delete or rename opengl32.dll in your quake folder..no need to copy the opengl32.dll from your windows directory since it will be used anyways.

And i have no problems running quake 2 on my windows XP puter. but i am using the latest q2 patrch
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #27 on: 2004-09-25, 21:28 »

Right. I have only just started using XP so I'll look for the patch. thanx all.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #28 on: 2004-09-25, 22:05 »

WinQuake is your friend.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-09-25, 23:04 »

For Quake 1 I'd recommend using Q2K4.  It interpolates models.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2004-09-26, 13:34 »

link pls
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #31 on: 2004-09-26, 16:54 »

Google it. Slipgate - Tongue
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #32 on: 2004-09-26, 23:29 »

For Quake 1 I'd recommend using Q2K4.  It interpolates models.
So does MHQuake.

http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/mhglqr6.htm

And it doesn't have that clipping bug on E3M3, either. Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-10-13, 01:36 by scalliano » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2004-09-27, 00:34 »

Q2K4:

http://files.filefront.com/3217618;/pub2/Q...fications/Q2K4/
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/141938.shtml

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #34 on: 2004-09-28, 00:45 »

Quake 2 Evolved and Quake 2 Max are both excellent source ports for Quake 2, but I recommend that you make sure you have the lastest patch installed for Q2 and the mission packs.  It can lead to odd save game behavior otherwise.

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #35 on: 2004-09-28, 08:14 »

Slipgate - Off Topic I got around to playing classic QW DM, and I've got to say: You die MUCH faster than in Gen or Slippy-only DM. Even faster than when quadwhoring dualgat-spammers are on the server!  Sipgate - Evil

I got around to playing Q2DM and RA2, as well. Why do the weapons feel so unresponsive?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2004-09-28, 08:50 »

In Q2 your weapon switch time is a lot longer.  We've not gotten around to that stuff yet since it's frames code.  Rocket Arena 2, depending on the server, can switch weapons at 2x normal speed or at normal Q2 speed.

Also, Q2 cycles the game logic only 10 times a second.  Q1 and Q3 both run at 20Hz, although Q1 only cycles your player's weapon frames at 10Hz.  This is why Q2 can feel like you're "Slogging through mud" sometimes.  It's NOT as responsive as Q3 when it comes to popping shots off at people.  I've noticed this too when jumping back and forth between the Strogg Troopers class and Q2 Deathmatch.

Also bear in mind we're not using 100% true to Q2 movement code.  In order to do that I have to rewrite the movement physics code.  Prior to .99c I wasn't comfortable doing that.  Having successfuly done this with the projectiles for Slipgate and Strogg I believe I will probably be able to do this for Slipgate and Strogg so that movement physics are 100% true to the old games.  We'll have to wait and see what this will involve and whether I get hit with any engine limitations or not.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #37 on: 2004-09-29, 08:29 »

Today in abandoned base, Pho and I were fighting in the water...  I went to shaft discharge, and  according to the console somehow I died from my own shaft, and from pho's BFG simultanously! Also I think it said Pho was killed by my shaft, but I don't think he actually died. Wierd.

Also I was fighting someone else, they ran out of ammo and started using the blaster, and I went in and did a point blank rocket blast. Somehow, the other guy died from my rocket, then I died from my own rocket, then I died from the blaster.  It was wierd cause I remember blowing myself up, seeing the "Gnam got bored with life" message, and simultanously hearing "HUMILIATION" then seeing the blaster message.

Maybe it's blip-outs in my conn causing replication errors. I was getting lots of split second ping spikes.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2004-09-29, 08:50 »

Gnam, you were skipping all over the place all night.  I think your connection was funky, because I didn't see anything abnormal like that.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #39 on: 2004-09-29, 16:56 »

Quote from: Assamite
Slipgate - Off Topic I got around to playing classic QW DM, and I've got to say: You die MUCH faster than in Gen or Slippy-only DM. Even faster than when quadwhoring dualgat-spammers are on the server!  Sipgate - Evil

I got around to playing Q2DM and RA2, as well. Why do the weapons feel so unresponsive?
Everything Pho said. Plus there's more health available in Gen.  Thumbs up!  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: