2024-05-11, 20:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Skybox Edges (The infamous atmosphere-killer)  (Read 9494 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2005-01-13, 23:19 »

I just got hold of a GeForce FX 5500 so I could play D3 at something resembling a decent framerate. After a few rounds I decided to load up Gen. Still, all was fine until I loaded up Deadmeat and I saw a phenomenon I'd never seen before - black borders around the skybox as if I was fighting inside a giant transparent cube!

I thought this only happened with ATI cards! Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of them?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-14, 01:29 »

Try setting r_finish to "1" and see if that helps any.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-14, 01:41 »

Quote from: scalliano
I just got hold of a GeForce FX 5500 so I could play D3 at something resembling a decent framerate. After a few rounds I decided to load up Gen. Still, all was fine until I loaded up Deadmeat and I saw a phenomenon I'd never seen before - black borders around the skybox as if I was fighting inside a giant transparent cube!

I thought this only happened with ATI cards! Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of them?
I hate those borders.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-14, 03:00 »

No joy. I even tried experimenting with Sock's skybox re-editing technique to no avail. I suppose I'll just have to wait until Carmack gets his arse in gear and releases the source code so someone can fix the bug. God knows when that will be. Slipgate - Sad

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-16, 03:35 »

I've never seen this happen myself, so I don't know what to look for.  If you email me a copy of your q3config.cfg file from your Generations folder, along with a screenshot of the problem, I could take a look and see if I can locate a variable that might be causing the problem.  At least we could rule out a .cfg issue and trace it down to either drivers or hardware.  If this sounds like a good option just send me a private message and I'll reply with an address you can send files to.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-16, 03:53 »

I get the same thing on Howling Wilderness. I'll get a screenshot and send you my q3config when I next have a chance.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-16, 04:24 »

Wait a sec, what? You're saying that it isn't only ATi card users that see the nasty black skybox edge?? How odd.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-16, 15:26 »

As an ATI man (9800 pro) I see this.  I kind of think of it as the world we are fighting in, watched by those who set up the arena. It akes he place seem kind of eerie.

Mind, I would like to get rid of it too.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-16, 16:22 »

I always thought they were related to roundimagesdown or lower picmips..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-16, 17:10 »

Pho: That might not be a bad idea, although I haven't actually tried out VQ3 yet (I just load up Gen and pick Arena class these days Thumbs up! ) but I'll give it a try later. If there's still no luck I'll fire the .cfgs your way.

Tek: I was scanning the net trying to find out more about this problem when I found it. Apparently it affects more recent nVidia chipsets. My old GF2 never had this issue, but you could make tea between screen updates on Doom3.

Tab: What's that? Is it a cvar of some kind? Might be worth looking into.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-16, 21:30 »

I've never seen this happen myself, but I am using an older GeForce 4 card.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-01-16, 21:48 »

Never mind, I just doublechecked that, and that's not it. I don't have skybox lines, and I'm using a 6800gt. r_roundimagesdown doesn't make a difference. I'll do some more cvar testing.

Hmm, an update.
It seems I have those irky lines too, but only in Jugulatordm2v2 (Howling Wilderness). None of the original Q3 maps have it, and none of the few other maps that I know to have pretty skies (such as Overwhelming Hostility). None of the graphical settings I change in-game have any effect on the skybox. Doesn't matter what settings I use outside of Q3 either. Odd, never really noticed it before.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-16, 22:37 by Tabun » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-01-16, 22:35 »

Heres a shot on my other comp with a Voodoo 5500, with amigamerlin drivers. If I knew what to do I could check any diffreances to any files between these two cards. if it was any use to you.

an update: I only seem to have it on this one map in Gen. and none in plain Q3. I ave seen this before, but can't remember where. I wanted to get really close to have a good look at it but can't.

ho hum.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-16, 23:11 by shambler » Logged
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #13 on: 2005-01-17, 00:26 »

Yea, sky boxs are a total buzz kill. Slipgate - Tongue

Beer? I'm down.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #14 on: 2005-01-17, 03:27 »

Suddenly I feel like a complete prat. Due to other technical issues I had to reformat my PC today. I reinstalled all my games and guess what? Yup, they're gone. It would seem that a fresh install of WinXP along with the drivers has rectified it. It must have been a conflict with the old drivers being overwritten, or something. Slipgate - Roll Eyes

Thanks anyway, people!

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-01-17, 04:29 »

I get these on several maps, including Howling Wilderness and DeadMeat, but ONLY after I upgraded to my 9800 pro
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #16 on: 2005-01-17, 04:37 »

I'm using a 9600XT, and I see it. I haven't noticed it on Deadmeat, but it's fairly obvious on Wilderness.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-01-17, 06:08 »

Found this: http://www.own-age.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=18438
go to displayer->advanced->nvidia
Click on the performance and quality node
select global driver in the drop down list
check the "show advanced" checkbutton
scroll down the box in the middle, and turn off conformant texture clamp
After turning off texture clamp, ok out of everything and your done

This concerns nVidia cards.  Still looking for something in regards to ATI cards, but if there's a conformant texture clamp option in the ATI drivers you might try disabling that.[/color]

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2005-01-17, 14:50 »

Well, I have not updated my drivers for the 9800 Pro since Oct 2003. I have the skybox on HW2, but nothing else in Gen or Q3.

I have just remembered I have the Nvidia chip on my Motherboard.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-17, 14:55 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2005-01-17, 15:22 »

Heh, I did try disabling the texture clamp, but it didn't work for me. Perhaps I borked it up or something :]

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: