2024-05-12, 01:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: LW's Computer Upgrade.  (Read 11097 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #20 on: 2005-10-16, 23:40 »

Notice my post back at him.

Ok, first I got one hell of a deal on two refurbed cards for $120 each. (bought locally)
Second, I got SLi board because of this reason. I figured before I just skip to town on two 7800GTXs (which I do have plenty of money for) I would rather wait and be patient until the next generation cards come out that has DirectX 10 capability in them. Also with SM 4.0 and some other goodies.
Hell, I can get an average of 70 FPS in Doom 3 on 800x600 high quality with one card and 2GB of RAM! Add in 2 GB more (of which I just recently ordered) of ram and an OC'd AMD 3000+ to a stable 2.2 GHz (OC'd right now w/stock heatsink from 1.8 GHz)

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #21 on: 2005-10-24, 01:51 »

Ok I finally got my 4GB of RAM, Second Video Card and PSU.

The PSU kicks ass it's no misteak that it is. My CPU temp at stock speed was 22C before, now it is between 17C-18C!, and boy is this thing overclockable! Coupled with the highly overclockable DFI Infinity nForce 4 SLI mainboard, wow! Got it stable 2.2 GHz before the new PSU at a temp of about 37C now it is between 31C-32C, and I'm talking full load! I will play with some more overclocking later.

The second video card totally takes system requirements and stomps them to a pulp. Holy crap! I can run Doom 3 max settings at 1024x768 at an average of 70-80 fps! The core clock of the GPU is 325 MHz and the memory is 450 MHz, clock the stuff to GPU 365 MHz and Memory 500 MHz and times two cards you got 730 MHz GPU and 1GHz Memory and 512mb Video memory!

The RAM is where the problems start. The first thing I had issues with was the POST not reading the correct amount of RAM, saying like 2.75GB or RAM at DDR333 which should be 4 GB at DDR400. So I update the BIOS play with some settings and found if you set memhole mapping to software, POST will then allocate 4GB of RAM, but in Windows it still says 2.75GB. I've been to numerous forums giving me lunicris solutions like, "You got shitty RAM." or "You need a 64-bit OS" That is crazy because there are people who are running crappier RAM with more then 4GB ot RAM in Win XP Home.
If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly apprieciated. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-10-24, 01:52 by Little Washu » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #22 on: 2005-10-24, 19:33 »

Are the RAM modules of different companies? (Although this is a silly question, it could remotely be about that, remotely.)

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #23 on: 2005-10-24, 22:10 »

They are from the same company.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2005-10-25, 03:28 »

What brand of RAM, and what model?  Sometimes it isn't a matter of one ram being "crappier" than another, sometimes there are outright compatibility problems that are specific to a mainboard and RAM module.

You might nose around this forum a bit to see if anyone else is having the same problem you are.

I'm not so sure that memory hole setting is correct either.  I'll nose through the manual and see what I can come up with.

Edit:  I did some research.  You won't like what I'm going to tell you.  Aparently the "hardware" setting for memhole is a legacy setting, and it causes the BIOS to allocate a huge chunk of memory for PCI devices, which is why it wasn't showing the full amount of RAM at boot.  The "software" setting gets around that, however there's a catch.  Windows XP SP1 handled memory differently from SP2, so if you had an SP1 machine set up where you could see the full memory in Windows the same as you could in the BIOS.  This is possibly why you know people with XP Home who can see 4 GB of RAM.  However, after SP2 this memory handling changed, and you can't see more than 2.7 in Windows no matter how you have it set up in the BIOS.  You're welcome to experiment with bank and node interleaving if you like to see if you can squeaze more out of it, but I think you're pretty much stuck unless you move to a 64-bit OS.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-25, 04:33 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #25 on: 2005-10-26, 00:55 »

Oh darn then I will just have to download the trial of WinXp Pro x64 Edition and give it a whirl. And BTW I can change the settings on my hardware memhole mapping now that I updated the BIOS. And I've tried DFI Street, but no one seems to care about my problem.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...0987#post260987

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: