2024-05-06, 19:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detonator Drivers (How not to make a customer happy)  (Read 9553 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2003-03-31, 05:22 »

Well I installed Nvidia's latest drivers.  Q3 loads fine, Gen runs fine, the world seems good.  Then I load up Quake 2.  First thing I notice is that my HUD area is like a constant "hall of mirrors".  A vid_restart fixes that, but then when I roam around I see little white "flies" every so often.  Specs that show up for a fraction of a second, like when you have static from something.  I drop out to Windows, and my icons start going goofy, then I notice in Wordpad since I had a document open at the time when I scroll up or down the screen appears to lag horribly.  I load up Zdoom and exit back out, and the video mode is fixed, scrolling works normally but my icons are still borked horribly.

So now I have the old drivers reinstalled, Q2 is happy, Q3 is happy, Windows limps along as usual with normal icons at least, and Nvidia has screwed up yet another driver release... :angry:

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Atom235

Pain Elemental

« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-31, 15:33 »

Nvidia haven't had things under control lately. First GFFX flopped (Imo), then somebody claimed that Nvidia "cheats" by replacing high res normal maps with low res 256 color ones. That gives an advantage in benchmarking programs. And now this.. buggy drivers! I think my next card will be a non-Nvidia one.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-31, 20:38 »

im happy with my hercules  9500 card.
exept 1, read that one in bug reports.
at this moment in my eyes ati is winning the battle
also like epic did a fantastic job on ut2k3 and hisbonuspacks.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-31, 21:10 »

Well i only have one prob with the new nvidia driver, i can't run a timedemo in Q3! my FPS counter just won't go over 60FPS i also tried to change com_maxfps to a riddiculus high setting but it did'nt work, BUT when i start generations all works just fine... o_O nope im seriously thinking about going back to my older nvidia drivers.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-31, 21:33 »

I haven't noticed any decrease in performance since I upgraded my drivers... I'm not very attentive to such things though, unless there's a huge glaring problem  <_<
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #5 on: 2003-04-01, 01:33 »

Bleh, UT2K3 wasnt worth the price they charged for it, truthfully, i didnt really notice much that actually stuck out from that game.

BTW, havent tried the new drivers...so, looks like im not dling them.
« Last Edit: 2003-04-01, 01:34 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2003-04-01, 04:07 »

I don't think ANY game is worth the prices they charge now a days... $50 to $60?! Yeah right!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-04-01, 10:00 »

1)they put much work in those games. (exept some companies like microsoft )
2)you hav to get your money back from somewhere and if everebody dwnls
 them then they cant get ther money back

altough I have to say that if they all would lower there prices
and  charge money from kazaa and edonkey2000 for every game you could download trough there servers the problem would be solved
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #8 on: 2003-04-01, 13:39 »

cmon, if the game doesnt look that good, or is plainly meant for multiplayer and has a craptacular single player, i am not paying over 30$ for it, hell, i dont even down load them, what, me and my 20gig hdd can holds is mostly my music, q3a/gen
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-04-01, 15:21 »

well it hat this nice skinning program that learned me how to skin .
and I have to say its very code friendly for coders .
but not for ustom models Slipgate - Sad to much animations
other then that
till resurgece come out I will have to play ut2k3 invasion coop
p.s. also I have to say they  did a magnificent job on the weapons ,
I mean how they work . like the link gun. and the smd rifle.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #10 on: 2003-04-01, 15:24 »

Oh, if only I could download them... Games are too big for me to handle though (150mb fap) Slipgate - Sad

Though I disagree games keeper. People use Kazaa and eDonkey BECAUSE it's free. Thus far, I have yet to see any "pay-to-play" MP3 sites work well, and I highly doubt it would work better for other file types.

The moral obligation on such things is rather fuzzy though. You are technically stealing, but you don't actually remove anything from it's surroundings (like say, a candy bar). So it's not as if a vendor is loosing stock due to you. I myself have tons of stolen MP3's, PDF's, and AVI's, but I usually end up buying the material equivalent in the end anyways (if it's truly worth it).
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2003-04-01, 19:16 »

NONONON I mean they have to give kazaa a bill because you can download games trough it .
if ya know that you could easely make kazaa that way that you could only dnld mp3 and wav files with it.
but now you can download complete games with it sois actually not the users fault anymore but its kazaas makers fault.
(if he would ever get the bill of all the games dwnld trough his program his grandkids could still pay of Id software and raven.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #12 on: 2003-04-01, 19:35 »

I don't think you can blame the creators of any peer to peer program for a decrease in entertainment sales anymore than you can blame Remington for gun related deaths. That's about as absurd as accusing McDonalds for your obesity Slipgate - Tongue

Besides, it was possible to download warez before peer to peer programs came into existence. The only thing destroying programs like Kazaa will do is decrease the cyber black market a bit, but it will continue, I can assure you of that.
« Last Edit: 2003-04-01, 19:40 by dev/null » Logged
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #13 on: 2003-04-01, 19:35 »

why would kazza be responsible? there not exactly putting a gun to your head and making you dl all them games/music
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-04-02, 15:18 »

so tyour guys saying that i can upload all of my games on a site on the internt and it wouldnt be my fault
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #15 on: 2003-04-02, 15:25 »

No I'm not; in fact I'm trying to say the exact opposite. It should be held to the user?s sense of ethics and moral code. If you want to steal media formats YOU should be punished, because some people (LOL) actually do use programs like Kazaa for legit reasons. I personally don?t see why entertainment companies are pursuing said programs so harshly; piracy is something that will NEVER be stopped. It?s the same deal with CD protection, companies are paranoid that people will sell bootleg software so they put copy protection on their CD?s that don?t even stop piracy, instead it makes it harder for me to create legit back-ups (and some not so legit, but I?ll be damned if I?m going to buy five copies of a game just so I can play over the LAN with my friends!).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: