2024-05-05, 14:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starcraft? addict?  (Read 7167 times)
pepe

Shambler

« on: 2003-03-08, 12:30 »

yes its rather sad but true

we have started to play starcraft on my corridor atleast once a day and im stuck i need the starcraft fix

does anyone know were i can find strategy forums that are any good or maybe some replays for games that arent 1 vs 1 but free for all instead?`

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-09, 03:14 »

I played SC like mad a couple years ago. The latest patch REALLY screwed up my zerg builds though...

Best advice I can give you is to mix up your units. Always have a detector with your forces, and make sure you can attack both ground AND air.

Offensive:
As zerg, the mutalisk/zergling army is devastating (and enough zerglings will kill damn near ANYONE if your 'lings are upgraded enough. NOTHING can stop 300 uber-lings, except about 100 guardians or 8 fully charged High Templar), as is hydra/guardian

As protoss, the Arbiter is your friend. Recall is one of the most deadly abilities in the game. If you can sneak an arbiter behind enemy lines, you can recall a large force in moments. And those forces are cloaked. Slipgate - Wink Dark Templars are damn useful distractions, but a good player will have too many detectors for you to rely on them. And NEVER discount the corsair. A small fleet of them can take out almost any equal sized air force, if you make them all target the same ship at once. Shift+rightclick enemy troops in order, and they'll automatically go to the next after one dies.

As Terran: Tanks, Wraiths, and SciVessels, with SCV repairs. You can include marines if you wish to.  Use sci vessels to EMP any spellcaster or cloaked enemy, and Irradiate powerful biological beings or peons. THe cloaked wraiths and stimmed marines can protect your tanks, and seiged tanks have the longest range of ANYTHING in the game. Their range is actually longer than their sight, so park a wraith or cloaked ghost about 3 meters in front of your tank, and the enemy won't see you before you open fire.

Defensive:
Zerg: MAKE YOUR OVERLORDS PATROL! NEVER clump them in a corner. They can see cloaked enemies, and if a clever opponent can cast a psionic storm, irradiate, or plague on them, they ALL DIE. Then you're screwed, cuz you can't build an army. With a good patrol pattern and the random spore/sunken colony/lurker, you can have a very tough defense.

Protoss: Have at least 1 observer per base. Make sure that essential buildings have AT LEAST 2 pylons powering them. Keep a High and a Dark templar around. Either can turn the battle. If you have the cash, keep an arbiter hidden, with enough energy to recall troops at a moments notice, this can save your base.

Terran: The seige tank is your friend. Put them on high ground around your base. They can easily kill half an incoming ground force in just 3 or 4 volleys. Put medics in your SCV areas. They'll heal your workers, and can give you a few extra seconds. Have plenty of Missle Turrets for detectors, and a Sci Vessel or two. If you have a small entrance, it's possible to completely block it off, or create a small maze with your supply depots, slowing or stopping ground troops. This isn't good if you need to get OUT in a hurry though.

General Tips: Group your troops. Highlight troops or buildings, CTRL+number, then just press that number to select that force or that building. I typically bind my chief command center/nexus/hive to 0, so I can get home in a hurry.

Use the SHIFT+Rightclick command liberally. Make your army take out the opponent one at a time. You'll lose half as many troops that way.

Don't be afraid to run away. Zerg troops heal. Protoss can recharge with shield batteries. Terrans repair and have medics. It's better to retreat for 30 seconds than spend 2 minutes rebuilding everything you lost.
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-09, 04:16 »

Starcraft > all

I love Starcraft, still play, and would be down to play with ya sometime pepe.  All that stuff Con mentioned is great, though I'd much rather not let my opponent get that far in his building.  If you want some dope ass replays go to www.theinclan.com and watch tiller and boxer's replays.  Amazing stuff.

One thing to watch out for when focus firing.  Make sure if your opponent dances that unit away that you immediately pick a new unit to focus on, if you spend your time chasing one unti around you'll lose your whole army and he won't lose anything.

Yeah, that new cost for spawning pool totally fuxed all my Zerg builds too.  Okay all I ever did was fast exp + 8 pool then hydras anyways.

Anytime anyone feels like a game of SC, hit me up.  I'm ALWAYS down.
« Last Edit: 2003-03-09, 04:18 by Twilight » Logged
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-09, 04:19 »

Nothing wrong with being an addict, man.  If my connection was working, I'd so be lurking battle.net.  But cest la vie.  I find that the best thing to do is to just come up with your own style.  The same thing doesn't work for everyone.  What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.  Just play online A LOT.  You pick up lots of tips just playing and watching how others react to you and how they attack you.  It's loads of fun and I miss it horribly!
Atom235

Pain Elemental

« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-09, 10:57 »

I pity you, pepe. Slipgate - Wink
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-09, 20:20 »

what dont you play twilight?  :unsure:
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-10, 00:29 »

thank you twilight the replay page has been most usefull

ive given out the link to the poeple ill be playing against as some of them are complete newbies and i hope that this will raise the general skill-level on our IPX-starcraft leuage Slipgate - Wink

but i think ill still be able to hold the throne as gamer-king on my corridor though:D

Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-10, 06:00 »

Starcraft, Warcraft, Quake 1, Gen, and the Street Fighter games don't seem like much to me.  I don't really play anything else at all.  Shame that I spend all this time on so few games, and I'm not any good at even those.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-10, 13:55 »

i used to play starcraft alot.. but it really just got boring, you cant really mod anything past the maps..

lately ive been playing bf1942 with desert combat mod.. damn is that fun .. i keep getting gunned down by jets tho..
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2003-03-10, 19:04 »

I was never very fond of Starcraft personally, the WarCraft and earlier Red Alert series are the only RTS games that are able to capture my attention...

I've been spending a lot of time playing Last Blade 2 though, it's an imported Dreamcast game that SNK did (though I believe it came out in arcades several years ago).
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #10 on: 2003-03-10, 23:14 »

HIBIKI!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: