2024-05-05, 17:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SPACE MEAT! (This time spoiler free!)  (Read 15535 times)
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #20 on: 2005-06-08, 01:27 »

That c++ is gonna be a bear this quarter... Had enough fun with VB and what I've seen through that source code and what you (Pho) have mention so far I'm dreading it. Slipgate - Distraught But hey, if I can get this down I'll be able to understand a little more of what you guys do. Thank God my major is networking and won't have to mess with code too much.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2005-06-08, 02:36 »

Quote from: death_stalker
That c++ is gonna be a bear this quarter... Had enough fun with VB and what I've seen through that source code and what you (Pho) have mention so far I'm dreading it. Slipgate - Distraught But hey, if I can get this down I'll be able to understand a little more of what you guys do. Thank God my major is networking and won't have to mess with code too much.
C++ is definitely a challenging language, but the hardest challenge when working with somebody elses code (especially game code or even a graphic API,) is figuring out what does what, when it does what it does, and how it's related to everything else.  Even with great documentation, there still is a lot of trial-and-error, and as you may know Phoenix has had to fix a lot of id's bugs and incomplete features. :p

I personally think VB .NET is a great starter language.  It is a lot different than C++, especially memory-management-wise, but the concepts you learn from there will help your understanding methinks.  Learning another programming language is much like learning another spoken language, it gets easier with the more of them that you know.  Although I imagine Assembly would still be a challenge even with several languages under your belt. :p

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #22 on: 2005-06-08, 03:24 »

One of the main probs our class had so much trouble was we weren't taught too well. I figured most of it out myself. Trial and error. Over my break, and in between Gen sessions, I'll be going over my book again. I'm quite interested in how these program codes work (especially physics like in that space meat pic-to be alittle back on topic) So any code I can look at and try to figure out is pretty cool.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2005-06-08, 13:43 »

sombody of my class his yearwork is an OS in C++ .
ok , it aint an operatingsystem since it still needs windows or dos to run it , but it has all the basic functions , word , calculator , messenger over com port , selfmade tankgame , multiplayer tankgame , paint and so on .

its a funny program .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2005-06-08, 15:52 »

Also, keep in mind that C and C++ are different languages.  C++ is an extension of C.  If you're modifying someone else's code this is very important to keep in mind when you go to attempt to compile it.  You can use all C functions in C++ source, but not the other way around.

Anyone learning C or C++ I'd recommend picking up a copy of Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ as a reference.  It's very concise and if you get stumped on something (like I did at one point, hence the book acquisition) it may help to de-mystify it for you.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #25 on: 2005-06-08, 18:48 »

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find one of those books.

Though I don't think I know quite so much as to play around with other folks code. YET.
/me gets cocky

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #26 on: 2005-06-08, 20:25 »

It's mad how such an intellectual exchange can stem from a pile of gibs Slipgate - Laugh

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2005-06-08, 21:43 »

Well you never know what may get discussed around the dinner table.
GIBS.  It's what's for dinner.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #28 on: 2005-06-08, 21:44 »

I still would like to know how that pic was made. <3  Thumbs up!

-edit-

GIBS. It's what's for dinner

LOL Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2005-06-08, 23:12 by Phoenix » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2005-06-09, 00:05 »

Pass the gravy, please.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2005-07-04, 21:19 »

I found some interesting facts out regarding energy weapons in the Quake 2 series:

Armor in Quake 2 protects you less from energy guns than it does regular guns.  This means yellow armor is treated like green armor, and red armor is treated like yellow armor when it comes to getting hit by the hyperblaster, BFG, or any other energy gun.  Green armor offers ZERO protection.  That hyperblaster might only do 15 points of damage in deathmatch, but that means an opponent with red armor is going to get 6 points taken from his health instead of 3 if it were a bullet-based weapon.  Got a tank running the level?  Pump him full of cells if you get a chance.  If he's only got 100 health you just need to cram 17 hyper bolts up his nose to kill him with red armor, and 9 if he's got yellow.

This also makes that Ground Zero plasma beam a bit nastier for deathmatch, seeing that it's pinpoint accurate and has a nearly infinite range.  However, it only does 1/2 damage to targets under water.

I was also nosing around the Xatrix source code.  The Ion Ripper does a lot more than 30 points of damage in single player.  It does 50, or 25 points per cell (more than the hyperblaster!) making it the most efficient energy weapon in the game.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #31 on: 2005-07-04, 21:39 »

So will that discovery affect hyperblaster in gen ?
 Is blaster energy weapon ?
« Last Edit: 2005-07-04, 22:50 by Kingu » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2005-07-04, 23:34 »

Yes, and yes.  The energy absorbtion values will be applied only to our upcoming Oldschool Mode.  We're working out the details on that.  It will not affect the standard play mode.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #33 on: 2005-07-05, 09:18 »

What weapons damage values will Oldscool mode use, single or multiplayer ?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2005-07-05, 15:54 »

Multiplayer of course.  What, you think I want to put in a 150 point damage railgun for the Q2 guy or something?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2005-07-05, 16:44 »

I thought that was a given. Don't we want to go 'nuts' there? ;]
j/k

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #36 on: 2005-07-05, 17:28 »

A Strogg guy with a Sp railgun and quad damage would be fun to watch.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #37 on: 2005-07-05, 20:54 »

Well I was thinking about earlier damage of railgun,
but mostly about hyperblaster damage and some lesser than rail weapons mayby except blaster.

Can you tell my what exacly are single and multiplayer  damage diferences ?
« Last Edit: 2005-07-05, 20:58 by Kingu » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2005-07-05, 21:59 »

Sure:

Blaster:
SP:  10
DM:  15

Hyperblaster:
SP:  20
DM  15

Machinegun:
SP:  Raises when shooting
DM:  Does not raise when shooting

Chaingun:
SP:  8
DM:  6

Railgun:
SP:  150, 250 knockback
DM:  100, 200 knockback

BFG10K:
SP:  200 direct hit
DM:  500 direct hit

Mission pack weapons

The Reckoning

Ion Ripper:
SP:  50, 60 knockback
DM:  30, 40 knockback

Ground Zero

Chainfist:
SP:  15
DM:  30

Tracker (Disruptor):
SP:  45
DM:  30

Plasma Beam:
SP:  15, 30 knockback
DM:  15, 75 knockback

The Tracker is the Disruptor's projectile.  This weapon is disabled but was present on some Rogue servers with a modified compile of the Ground Zero source.

NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #39 on: 2005-07-05, 22:27 »

wat about the reckoning phalanx Slipgate - Smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: