2024-05-04, 10:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottled What-er?  (Read 5511 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-07-28, 05:36 »

News link

Imagine that.  Anyone else not surprised by this?  What amazes me is how much people pay for what they, well, already pay for.  why not just use a permanent canteen or other portable water container and refill it?
« Last Edit: 2007-07-28, 05:40 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-28, 09:23 »

This is ridiculous. I really don't know what else to say.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-28, 23:01 »

I'm not surprised, just be glad there isn't any urine in that crap, I'd be tempted to do that if I sold bottled water...
Dr Sean

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-29, 00:14 »

Its just a matter of convenience, most people don't really think about the fact that they have running water... Maybe its just an American thing though  Doom - Huh?
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-29, 04:30 »

Yeah, I heard about this on the 6 o'clock news...

I usually either use the dispenser on my fridge or go to the nearest water fountain to get water anyway, so it doesn't really bother me that much.  Maybe a little bit because of the general principle of the whole thing, but not much.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-29, 09:31 »

Its just a matter of convenience, most people don't really think about the fact that they have running water... Maybe its just an American thing though  Doom - Huh?
lol

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-31, 00:07 »

Pepsi-co and Coca-cola are both guilty of this.  That's why the bottles are labeled as "purified" water.  They were forced to do that a few years back due to false advertising if I'm not mistaken.

As for the popularity of bottled water...

I think part of the problem is that bottled water has become associated with "health" products.  People are fooled into believing that tap water contains "harmful impurities."  When really, Aquafina and Dasani are probably composed of water that has been recycled from other production processes.  Big companies like Pepsi-co and Coca-Cola don't tend to let anything go to waste.

That is not to say bottled water is without merit.  Natural disasters can break water mains, making tap water unsafe to drink.  If you have no means to boil water to kill bacteria (i.e. electricity,) then bottled water is the way to go.

There's also the matter of taste.  Some people prefer bottled water over tap water.  For me, the taste of tap water varies from state-to-state and with bottled water from brand-to-brand.  Generally, I prefer bottled spring water over tap water.  I'm also a sucker for highly-oxygenated water and glass bottles rather than plastic bottles.  Still, water is water and since I need it to survive, I'm perfectly content to drink from tap water on a regular basis.  Hell, I drank tap water from the Bahamas!

And for anyone still concerned about the safety of drinking tap water in the USA, I shall refer you to these three links I found by searching for "tap water quality."

EPA Ground Water & Drinking Water FAQ

NRDC: Tap Water Quality and Safety FAQ

EWG's National Tap Water Quality Database

Oh and just to show a bit of Italian pride...

New York has the best tap water and Italy has the best spring water. ;p

« Last Edit: 2007-07-31, 00:09 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: