2024-05-18, 12:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC d20 Modern Game! (Shall we play?)  (Read 4765 times)
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« on: 2003-11-12, 01:45 »

Alright, you pen-and-paper roleplayers... Somebody made the mistake of informing me that I had a little money.  Well, I don't anymore, having purchased the equipment to properly GM a game.  The flavor of choice?  d20 Modern.

What is d20 Modern?
Simply, it's the d20 roleplaying system adapted to a modern action/fantasy environment.  If you're played Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition at all, you're going to feel right at home; the attack methods, skills, feats, etc. are all extremely similar.  However, it's all guns, martial arts, computer hacking, robots, and cars instead of swords, spells, dragons, horseback riding, etc.

What will I need to play?
I strongly recommend you pick up the d20 Modern Core Rulebook.  It's at major bookstores as well as comic/game stores.  It runs about $40; you might be able to find a PDF version online via Kazaa, etc., but I haven't looked.  You really should own the core rulebook anyhow if you intend to play for any significant period of time.

Beyond that, you might grab a basic dice set.  Most basic roles are with a d20 (twenty-sided die).  Unlike D&D, most guns use two dice (2d4, 2d6, 2d8, etc) for their attack damage.  You'll need a character sheet (you can download and print one out from wizards.com) and some scratch paper to record the things (like hit points) that change too frequently to mark and remark on your character sheet.

What will I need to know beforehand?
A basic understanding of d20 systems (especially combat) is extremely important.  I can help with basics, but the game will be slowed down immensely if you don't know the proper answers for "roll a Spot check", "what is your Listen skill at?", or "what's your flat-footed Defence (AC) rating?"

If you know d20 and/or have played D&D before, browse the Core Rulebook chapters 1 through 6.  Some of it will be refresher material; some of it is verbatim from the D&D books.  But things to pay close attention to are:

Base classes (Strong hero, Fast hero, etc.)
Starting Occupation
Wealth Rating
New/Unfamiliar Feats
New/Unfamiliar Skills
New Equipment
Purchasing/Selling Equipment and Wealth
Nonlethal Damage (it's not the same as subdual)
Maximum Threshhold Damage
Advanced Classes

When/where will this be?
Games are tentatively scheduled for Thursdays in IRC, #d20modern on irc.wireheadstudios.net.  Timing is flexible depending on when the most players can get on, but is currently looking at 5PM-8PM PST (8-11PM EST).

I'll spend next week's Thursday (Nov. 20th) helping people get prepared.  I won't host on the following Thursday (the 27th is Thanksgiving) unless there's sufficient player demand.  This means the game will start in earnest December 5th.

Can I be a __________?
I currently own the Core Rulebook, the MENACE "monster manual", the addon "Modern Player's Companion" by Stan!, and the Urban Arcana campaign setting.  Players are free to use any element from the Player's Guide in the Core Rulebook.  PLEASE DO NOT READ CHAPTERS 7+ (GM GUIDE) OF THE CORE RULEBOOK!

Anything outside the Core Rulebook needs GM permission; please PM me in IRC to discuss these.  I will openly consider MOST (but not all) elements of the Modern Player's Companion.  (As it has already been asked, I will not add a "credit" system to the Wealth system, for example.)

For example, I am currently constructing a Tetragrammatron Cleric class for Kenny... complete with the Equilibrium drug use that requires a Prozium shot several times a day.  Fast, deadly... but not terribly charismatic.  ;^)

As for Urban Arcana... I will consider individual elements on a case-by-case basis, but I'm not yet ready to fully throw the world beyond Shadow into my campaign setting just yet.  If you have your heart set on a mage, at least expect to not have access to any magic for the first three or four levels.

Let me know if you're interested or have any questions!  I'll take them as best I can.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-12, 01:50 by LeeMon » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-12, 01:58 »

I've been hearing some good things about Conspiracy X (my friends have played it for years afaik) - And it sounds quite a bit like this d&d 'mod' :]
Also covers the futuristic-fantasy side, anyway. Might be worth giving that a go if you're into this stuff, while you're at it ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-12, 02:09 »

I need to get the materials and whatnot, but count me in.

EDIT: I'll pick up the book most likely, but is there any reason I wouldn't be able to just use a dicebot, if I can find a suitable one?
« Last Edit: 2003-11-12, 02:12 by OoBeY » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-12, 02:17 »

whs.net has a built in dicebot.

Sorry lee, I can't make it on thursdays.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: