2024-05-04, 15:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you, WH  (Read 19187 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« on: 2005-02-09, 09:32 »

I first arrived at Gen SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of getting true old-school style gameplay (with limits) recreated in the Q3 environment. And initially, that seemed to be a reality. Authenticity was WH's Numero Uno priority.

Unfortunately, stuff happened between now and then. People started complaining about imbalance, and suddenly WH's priorities shifted. It was balance over authenticity now, and we have ended up with a bastardized, nerfed version. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

But I read the manual, and... lo and behold, an "old school" version was proposed. 99~100% authenticity, it proposed. No "balancing", no complaining.

What I exactly wanted in the beginning.

Thank you SO much. I only hope this will be carried to fruition. And happy Chinese New Year - may the team's years and releases remain prosperous. I hear it's the Year of the Rooster - just Pho's type of year. Slipgate - Wink

(Bring on the sticky-rice-stuffed duck!)

Edit: I believe I missed the feedback thread. Perhaps a move is in order?
« Last Edit: 2005-02-09, 09:33 by Assamite » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-09, 10:26 »

No moves necessary, and yes, I'm dead set on making old-school mode a reality.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-13, 15:51 »

... i hope so... nerfing Q3A BFG, or DooM's health drop, are small but annoying details that further detach this MOD from what was supposed to be: a TRUE battle between generations = each class with their own settings right, not nerfed for slight 'balance'. Can't rule qith SlipGaters? Upgrade your skill! Think Earth Mortar is though? Giv'it PLASMA!... never thought i'd write this but: KEEP IT REAL! (doh... so ashamed)...
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-13, 16:57 »

Well, it's a very interesting discussion... what is better, a 100% faithful recreation or a somewhat altered but more balanced game?
Although I too would like to see as little changes to the originals as possible, I think it is necessary to alter them somewhat, if it helps balance. You see, if 1 or 2 classes are distinctly stronger than the rest, this will result in the other classes not getting chosen much. I think that'd be a waste of all the effort, and wouldn't do the "Generations"-idea much good either, if most games would consist of Earth/DOOM guys, for instance.
However, with the addition of an oldskool mode everybody wins! :D
So, assuming this mode is implemented properly (and I have no doubt it will ;)), Gen should appeal to everyone, methinks. ;P
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-13, 17:27 »

True old-skool mode sounds the absolute dog's IMO. So instead of 5 different ways to play Gen we'll have 10  Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-13, 17:51 »

Quote from: Nahand
... i hope so... nerfing Q3A BFG, or DooM's health drop, are small but annoying details that further detach this MOD from what was supposed to be: a TRUE battle between generations = each class with their own settings right, not nerfed for slight 'balance'. Can't rule qith SlipGaters? Upgrade your skill! Think Earth Mortar is though? Giv'it PLASMA!... never thought i'd write this but: KEEP IT REAL! (doh... so ashamed)...
Uh, what Doom health drop?

And we by no means nerfed the q3BFG. It's now even more dangerous to groups, although lone individuals now have a chance to avoid it.

Personally, I'd rather have a bit of balance, so that all the classes get play time. This isn't DooMer-ations, where we line Stroggers up for target practice.

So far, we've only nerfed (which means to lower the effectiveness of) a few things. The Doom SSG and Slipgate's armor values. We simply removed the random damage from the first, and halved the pickups of the second to match the other classes.

We're staying as close as possible to the originals. Of course, old-school mode will be fun too, but not for every-day play.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-13, 18:26 »

Let me explain why balance is important. If the classes are imbalanced the people will play one or two classes and ignore the rest of them. Does anyone recall how horribly the classes were balanced in battlefield vietnam? how if you didnt have an M60 you were pretty much smoked? was that fun? i guess nostalgia is more important to some people than gameplay. Im not saying a classic mode isnt a good idea but lets not start pretending they were wrong to consider balance in the Gen.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-13, 18:45 »

This discussion right here is exactly why both gameplay modes will be available.  <3

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-13, 19:12 »

Classic mode is good for kicks, Default mode should be good for everything else ;]

Also, the term 'nerfed' is really getting on my nerves (pun intended). It implies that something is turned into a foamy softish utterly weak and useless condition. In that sense, nothing has ever been nerfed in Generations. Alterations are never made to remove the ability to use something, but always to get a balanced gaming experience. There's no need to give that a negative twist in any way.

I'll dare anyone wishing for true old-school gaming to be default to play me in old-school mode (when it's done) for days on end in the future, and tell me with a straight face that it doesn't get old. I'm thinking Doom. I'm thinking pain. ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-02-13, 19:15 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-13, 19:18 »

... meh... i still think the Slippy's nailspitteries are slower than originally - and given that Slip and Earth share one of same weakenesses - they usually aren't chosen (the Slips).  lining Stroggs? Why? They have Hyperblasters, rails, and most importantly (for this specific point), CHAINGUNS. Again, i see it as a matter of adaptability to each classe's strong points and weaknesses. Obviously, one doesn't play DooM and Strogg the same way, or Gladiators. They have differences and those are what really makes GEN a fun mod. I'm not over-chriticising the mod-team decisions on this, but i DO want to make a stand that things should not be 'leveled' at times...

... also ConFu, i must be confusing it with other, but i'm sure i did saw health drop on a class it wasn't (theorethically) supposed to drop -  and i'm almost sure it was DooM, but oh well... (humm... or armor drop?)...

... also... i'm not quite following this old-skool mode (after all GEN was supposed to be it?!)...
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-13, 19:21 »

Quote from: Tabun
[...] Also, the term 'nerfed' is really getting on my nerves (pun intended). It implies that something is turned into a foamy softish utterly weak and useless condition. In that sense, nothing has ever been nerfed in Generations. Alterations are never made to remove the ability to use something, but always to get a balanced gaming experience. There's no need to give that a negative twist in any way. [...]
... i did got shocked when i first got Q3A BFG in GEN, thinking in green storm, and suddenly a puff of DooM-wannabe minty came out. Nerf might be a harsh term, but the definite 'alteration' of the shoot type did put me aside...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-13, 19:28 »

In my experience, the mod is fun to play when:

a) Every class has that nostalgia-feel to it.
b) When no single class becomes the prime choice (for lamers), because it is overpowered
c) and, thusly; The Random-Class mode is not an easy way to reduce your winning chances, but the most enjoyable and appealing to play with.

Now, I realise some people really don't give a rats ass about how they're faring, but I personally get really annoyed at people beating me because they pick Doom class in Howling Wilderniss and camping the GL room. If all maps would play that way, in no-time everyone wanting to get some frags would have to switch to a specific class and strategy -- leaving no enjoyment for newbies and fun-players alike.

---

And on the subject of the Q3BFG, the weapon is just cool. You can't argue with cool. That it's more imaginative, takes a bit more skill to use and provides hilarious situations and great screenshots are all bonuses, although I guess some people don't like any of those things.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-13, 19:30 by Tabun » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-13, 19:35 »

Lack of balance is why the Wolf3D class in Q2Gen, as a whole, sucked. The only person I've ever witnessed doing well with it (are you ready for this one?) is Phoenix. And let's be honest, that's a bit of a bad measuring stick to use. Slipgate - Wink

But, I agree entirely with Tabun on this one. If everything was 100% accurate to the old games, then everybody would be using Doom. And nothing but Doom. Doom's issue right now is being mostly ineffective at long range. Give him back his 60MPH running speed and overdamaging weapons (random damage SSG and RL) and even that much goes away. The other classes would be left holding the bag, as nothing could really stop him.

That's why the "balanced" game is going to be default, but for you nutters out there who really want pain, there's going to be an "oldschool" mode. Slipgate - Smile

Nahand: Slipgate's nails fly at the same speed as his rockets, which fly at a speed identical to Q1. There are times when I can use them efffectively -- they've always been reduced to a close-range weapon. If you're trying to use them like a chaingun, well, there's your problem.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #13 on: 2005-02-13, 19:50 »

... about the Q3A BFG, i think it would be tasty to keep it asnormal Q3A, that's all. I like screenshot galleries a lot, and demos a whole lotter (<- a word?), but keeping the BFG as is would add that extra way of killing and proper 'identity' to what is in fact a BFG from Quake 3 Arena. I know you won't change it, but i just keep defending this (why, i don't really know either, but i know i must)...

... on the Slippy nails subject: i know it's been discussed before, and said that they are true to the original. Can't argue against facts, but it feels weird all right...

...  also, the DooM class seems indeed to be the most used already. I know about it's might with Rocket Launcher, Plasma, BFG, and even SSG (or chainsaw runners), and surely know that Slippy lacks in some departments to effectively directly counter other classes, but that is part of it...

... further more: when i said the Slippy had some "things" to it, it was namely about using 3 ammo types for main 6 weapons. To me that is the major backdrop of Slippy, not the lack of long-range "touch" weapons. But with that i can't argue: it was part of the original game for design purposes...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-02-13, 20:23 »

The latter actually strikes me as a positive thing: Slippy can get his hands on rockets where grenade-based weapon owners cannot, just like Doom.

Here's a trick for when you can't get nails working for you: Imagine you're using the hyperblaster. I see many people using good leading tactics and tricks for getting hyper shots in, but failing entirely to hit a single nail. They're the same kind of weapon, and tactics for either one work on the other.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-13, 20:24 by Tabun » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #15 on: 2005-02-13, 20:26 »

I've been through the nail discussion many.. MANY.. times. I am, after all, still a Slipgate fanatic. I still think that the nails just 'feel' slower.. even went so far as to say that maybe the nail model is perhaps the problem. Seeing a smaller model might make it 'seem' a little faster.

In the end tho.. they are right. The trick is using the nailgun (I never use the nailgun, only the super.. so all my references to 'nailgun' are about the super nailgun) when it is most appropriate. Usually in up close and maybe mid-range battles when you lack a rocket launcher. Get the quad... it makes the gun the uhh... shit.. I forget what that combo was called in q1... doesn't really matter anyway, let's just say that it's friggin nasty. Rapid fire kibble making machine (Two.. TWO nails gibs an unarmored, newly spawned player).

The normal nailgun though... I don't know what it is, but it doesn't feel right. Thing is, I can't really say why.

Use the weapons the way they're meant to be used.. Slippy doesn't HAVE to be a 1-gun man. He has the best spam cannon in rapid fire grenades.. meat grinder for up close.. lightning blaster that eats ammo faster than popcorn... abuse the rapid weapon switching ninja powers... ABUSE them I say!

Slipgate - Ownage

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2005-02-13, 21:51 »

I abuse mi.....  euhm , nevermind .
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-02-14, 00:13 »

And if you actually LIKE the q3BFG, there is a server variable to change it BACK to its original form. Read the manual for details.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2005-02-14, 01:26 »

I agree. The normal nailgun does not seem right. It might be the sound. Or maybe it moves a bit to much. It is excellent, but not the same as the Q1 gun.   Slipgate - Ownage

The gun we all know and love:
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #19 on: 2005-02-14, 01:52 »

Actually, I think the sound can make quite a difference, at least for how the weapon 'feels'.
Earlier today, in a nostalgic mood, I started up Q2 Generations again. And the DOOM guy SSG was so much more gratifying to fire there, because of that delicious *BOOM* *click-click* sound. Maybe it's a built up association from filling some monster's guts with 20 pellets while hearing that sound, but for some reason it just sounds real good. Slipgate - Tongue
Same with the Q2 Rocket Launcher, back in Q2 it was a great "bombs away!" sound, while in our Gen it's more of a screech. Again, might be just in my head, because I'm so used to the original Q2 RL sound that the Gen sound now sounds 'wrong' to me, regardless of what it actually sounds like.
Oh well, even though the exact original sounds are out of the question for copyright reasons :/, I understand Gen 1.0 will have some new sounds, so I'm hopeful for some improvements. Slipgate - Tongue
But, so, anyways, for me at least, the way a gun sounds can definetely influence how 'good' it feels to me.

Oh, and yeah, I thought the Q1 (Super) Nailgun wasn't as useful as I remembered too, but I never played Q1 multiplayer, and yer average human opponent is a lot faster and more evasive than brainless beasts, so that might explain it, for me at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: