2024-05-02, 07:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's Intellectual? (One can only wonder...)  (Read 5648 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-06-07, 20:14 »

The transcript shows that Kerry's freshman-year average was 71. He scored a 61 in geology, a 63 and 68 in two history classes, and a 69 in political science. His top score was a 79, in another political science course. Another of his strongest efforts, a 77, came in French class....

Bush went to Yale from 1964 to 1968; his highest grades were 88s in anthropology, history, and philosophy, according to The New Yorker article. He received one D in his four years, a 69 in astronomy. Bush has said he was a C student.

Like Kerry, Bush reportedly suffered through a difficult freshman year and then pulled his grades up.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washingt...student?mode=PF

I put this in CC (though I think it's more entertainment than anything serious) because of the possibility of heated debate and Kerry/Bush bashing (though probably more Bush bashing than Kerry bashing).  What I find amusing is Kerry's strongest area was, not surprisingly, politics and public speaking, with French thrown in for good measure and one damned funny bit of cliche.  To sum it up, he's good at bullshitting the public.  Funny that  he's perceived as being "smarter" than Bush though their grades are nearly the same.  Bush is perceived as being a complete idiot because he speaks poorly in public and can't bullshit his way out of a wet paper bag, whereas Kerry is perceived as being an intellectual because he's slick and smooth in the delivery.  It really turns out they are both of fairly equal intelligence and academic performance.

If there's a lesson is to be learned from this then I'd say it's one of the oldest - don't judge a book by it's cover.  Murphy's rules of combat says "if it looks stupid and it works, it isn't stupid."  I think he'd also have a rule about buying things in fancy packaging too.
Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-07, 21:24 »

having good grades does not mean your smart , trust me .
There is a guy in my class who always has good grades ,
but from the moment we have something like C++ and we have to do a test .
Evereone will have the program ready , while his will not work .

Why ?
he is smart in the way of , he can put stuff in his head for a short while .
but hes an ass  , because he can't think logical .

probably same goes with bush and kerry ?
altough I think there both asses .

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-07, 21:49 »

Quote from: games keeper
altough I think there both asses .
Something I can agree with for certain.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-07, 22:24 »

Bush is perceived as being a complete idiot because he speaks poorly in public and can't bullshit his way out of a wet paper bag

That's because Bush is honest, and is therefore inexperianced in the art of bullshit.
P.S. why is Bush an ass?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-08, 00:28 »

Bush honest? L.O.L. - now we're talking CC :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-08, 02:40 »

Quote from: Little Washu
That's because Bush is honest, and is therefore inexperianced in the art of bullshit.
P.S. why is Bush an ass?
bush, honest?  if he put any more spin on things he'd be a washing machine... just my 2? Slipgate - Smile
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-08, 02:53 »

Honesty is not the term here, more prone to the odd Freudian slip ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-08, 16:08 »

Well to me he's an ass for a few reasons.
1)  Not securing the border, leaving disgruntled US citizens to try to do it themselves
2)  Not sitting on Rumsfeld and the idiots at the Pentagon who are screwing up in Iraq right now
3)  Not sitting on the Republican party to stand up to the Dems in the senate on the judicial appointments, allowing a BS compromise which is nothing but a stall tactic.  (WTF is wrong with "yes" or "no", hmm?)
4)  Stabbing Israel in the back this last week by telling Abbas he can basically have anything he wants on a silver platter, forcing Israel to negotiate from border positions established in 1949 as opposed to 1967.
5)  400 billion dollar prescription drug entitlement that nobody needs or wants.
6)  Letting the Pentagon shut down military bases during an active military campaign.
7)  Running around talking about Social Security all the time.

I could find more things to list, but from my perspective he's pretty much just dropping the ball in so many ways.  I'm rather appalled at his performance so far this second term, it's like he's being completely inept and ineffective.  Oh I know it's early yet, but you'd expect someone to pull out the big guns in their second term, not sit on their hands.  This criticism of mine extends to the Republican party as a whole, which as a majority is instead catering to the whims of the minority party, which if the roles were reversed, the said minority would not return the favor in kind.  This is not playing nice, this is abject stupidity and is a completely inexcusable method of operation as far as making policy is concerned.  It's like saying "Hey voters, screw you!  We're more worried about not hurting the feelings of our opponents than actually listening to our constituents!"  Before any of the usual parties go and mistake me for a Republican (as often seems to happen) my focus here is on those in power being completely incompetent and failing those they represent.  Remember who I'm criticizing here.

Let's not confuse directness with honesty either.  Bush is plain spoken and direct, this does not mean he's completely honest.  He is a politician, do not ever forget this.  I may agree with his expressed viewpoints on many things, but that does not mean I trust him.  I think he could be a great leader if he'd remember where he left his spine.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-10, 09:19 »

Quote from: Little Washu
Bush is perceived as being a complete idiot because he speaks poorly in public and can't bullshit his way out of a wet paper bag

P.S. why is Bush an ass?
Yea, about as honest as Nixon.

I swear to God, the things I read around here are utterly profound.

Btw Washu,

[honest]I think everything you say is well thought out. I am pleased when you enlighten me on how great and wonderful the current administration is.[/honest]
« Last Edit: 2005-06-10, 09:21 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-15, 10:30 »

No admin is perfect, I'm just saying that it is way underated.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: