2024-05-15, 09:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: National ID Card (It's coming)  (Read 10674 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2005-05-15, 23:52 »

In a manner of speaking, but I do not forsee a full-scale nuclear war as being a serious concern.  If any nuclear weapons are used they will be used in a tactical capacity.  The big nuclear powers like China and Russia tend to know the effects of large-scale use of nuclear weapons, and any large-scale ICBM launch would be instantly countered by a US ICBM launch.   Countries like that are not to keen on getting themselves blown off the map.  No, the danger is some pissant dictatorship setting off one or two "for the glory of Allah" or whatever reason they use to justify it.  A short-range surprise with no clear retaliatory objective is a much more dangerous concern.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #21 on: 2005-05-16, 00:28 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Where do you intend to go, Foot?  How do you intend to get there?
Actually, I was implying that I'll probably be dead first. Slipgate - Shifty
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-05-16, 01:30 »

My philosophy is to hope for the best, expect the worst, and prepare for what you can.  I know a lot of people want to "just live their lives", but what exactly is life for?  How you answer that question is what determines how you'll react to unforseen and difficult events.  Personally I can't see a time in human history where people could "just live their lives".  People have been conquered, uprooted, starved, enslaved, suffered plagues, etc, all throughout history.  Normalcy, to me, is an illusion.  Conflict, chaos, change is the only thing certain.  Peace is ever sought but rarely obtained.  I wish that it were otherwise, but what is, is.  I hope and pray nothing will come of all this, but time will tell.  I'm just here to make people aware of what could happen so they at least have a chance to act should they choose to.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2005-05-16, 04:50 »

I think there's a lot of sense in the theories about strife and struggle being the biggest motivators behind human evolution - as long as there is hope for an equilibrium; balance and peace, things will be kept in motion through disorder. In the big picture, that would mean that to 'just live your life' would be a waste, and an indication of a sense of hopelessness.
If that peace would ever be achieved, I wonder if it would be a good thing, and if it would last.

In the case of real distress, I guess there is only one real answer to 'what life is for': Life is for living. ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-05-16, 04:51 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
t0ts

Imp

« Reply #24 on: 2005-05-16, 05:33 »

What about problem-solution reaction, they bring order out of chaos even if they themselves have created it. Why on earth would a terrorist worry about getting a id card thats balogna, they just want to expand their citizen watch squads power over the average public. Why do we need a homeland security we already have navy, national guards, police, and anything else i havent mentioned. Either way if a serious terrorist wanted to strike homeland security or not they will do it, but having our government monitor the public watching for people that dont agree with them isnt gonna solve anything.  Slipgate - Sad
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: