2024-05-26, 14:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now THIS is Nifty  (Read 7613 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-08-18, 23:49 »

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_15036...3625.html?menu=

I want one, provided it's talon-proof. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-08-18, 23:50 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-19, 00:21 »

I want one now. I want one now! Gimmie gimmie gimme! It's even got a photoshop button on it.
Bye bye Z Boards.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-19, 00:24 by Little Washu » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-19, 09:52 »

I was thinking of buying a ZBoard in Christmas. Are they bigger than the normal keyboards? Are they worth the money?

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-19, 12:22 »

The problem with Z boards are that:
1) They don't have one for evry game out there.
2) You have to buy one for each game you want
3) Not exactly the most customizable layout out there.

Why optimous boards are better:
1) Its so freaking cool. (i mean look at it: you get a 32X32 "monitor" for each key, some larger for the larger keys)
2) You can put every game you want on it on one keyboard.
3) Not just for games, buts for applications too. Like Photoshop, Maya, even GTKRadiant.
4) Useful if you are typing things in a different language.
5) I imagine it looks cool in the dark, and you don't need a keybard lamp! ;]

So optimous it going to kick Z Board's ass so bad.  Even though you have to pay $350 (or ?200) for it, you'll still save money in the long run. One Zboard costs $50 ( or ?26). Besides, you can shop around on the internet long enough, you can get one for HALF that.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-19, 12:35 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-19, 12:55 »

It is nifty (Been gawking at it for a month or so now), but I have some problems with it.

Firstly, I don't know and haven't been able to find out if it is 'ergoforce' - ie. if the pressure required to depress a key is less for pinkies than for index fingers when typing with 10 fingers. That has been a marvellous help for me, thanks to my keytronic board.

Secondly, I wonder if the keys get warm due to being lit. I wouldn't like hot keys, although it might be nice using it as a comforter when one has a stomach ache.. ;]

Thirdly, I don't ever really look at my keyboard, and I don't think it would be a good idea to start. The point of shortcuts is to increase speed and efficiency of your input, which is lost if you go looking for keys and gaping at nice icons on them. If you really want to learn to use shortcut keys quickly (or game keys, for that matter), you'll not be helped by graphic displays like this, but rather demotivated to learn them rapidly. (also, learning the DVORAK layout can be done quicker if you do it without looking at your hands or the keys, and without using new labels for it). You will create spacial placement associations directly in your brain, as opposed to sight -> spacial which is obviously slower Slipgate - Wink)

All that aside, it is a cool gadget, and I might still be tempted if it won't be too expensive.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-19, 12:56 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-19, 13:13 »

You got a point there, i dont really look at the keyboard often, but I will be my forth year of spanish and my first year of Russian this upcoming school year, so something like this would help alot.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-19, 15:10 »

I think where it would really help is in bindings for different games.  If you switch games you might not always remember what key does what, especially with a new game.  I think it would be great for "wtf key did I have bound to that 'turn the guy into the frog' spell again?" situations.  Once you learn what keys are where, sure, touch is great, but until then the eyes will find the keyboard every time.

It does have a high "niftiness" factor to it, despite being somewhat impractical in some ways.  I wouldn't mind if it's warm, I can't feel it through my talons anyway, but it would have to be damned good to tear me away from my Keytronic as well.  As for the price, ouch, that's expected, but ouch!  I just hope it can be configured "on the fly".  That would be great to have the icons change based on class in a Gen game, but don't ask me how that would work.
Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-19, 16:22 »

I think it would be interesting if there was a demonstration of it. And what is a keytronic?
Talons heh.   Slipgate - Smile~

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-19, 16:37 »

http://www.keytronic.com/home/products/spe...euro_kt2001.htm for instance

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-19, 18:54 »

Neat, though I'm pretty good at remembering my key mappings. It would be good for teaching someone who's never played Q3 before how to play and what button does what. It could have it's uses. Not only for games but other apps as well. Slipgate - Wink

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-19, 19:44 »

It is definitely nifty.  The price tag is a bit much for me, but it's expected.  One utterly useless feature that I would like to see would be the ability to have it act like a marquee and load different text and whatnot.  Wouldn't it be damn cool to see the Gen logo flash on the keyboard with it being following by scrolling text that said "Generations Arena." Slipgate - Smile  The Dreamcast version of Quake 3 had a similar feature with the DC's visual memory units.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-19, 21:20 »

So basically you dont have to press as hard to type? Hmm...
Speaking of dreamcast I still have mine. I thought it was a highly underrated system.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-19, 21:30 »

No, the basic idea of 'ergoforce' (a crappy term if ever there was one), is that you only press harder with fingers that are stronger, with the required pressure balanced against weight and power of the type of finger used to press the key.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-19, 22:03 »

Wow, that's pretty neat, I should get one, might be the reason why I have so many typos, my hands do strain alot.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-19, 22:04 by Little Washu » Logged

OoPpEe

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2005-08-23, 21:28 »

Quote from: Little Washu
The problem with Z boards are that:

Why optimous boards are better:
1) Its so freaking cool. (i mean look at it: you get a 32X32 "monitor" for each key, some larger for the larger keys)
2) You can put every game you want on it on one keyboard.
3) Not just for games, buts for applications too. Like Photoshop, Maya, even GTKRadiant.
4) Useful if you are typing things in a different language.
5) I imagine it looks cool in the dark, and you don't need a keybard lamp! ;]

So optimous it going to kick Z Board's ass so bad.  Even though you have to pay $350 (or ?200) for it, you'll still save money in the long run. One Zboard costs $50 ( or ?26). Besides, you can shop around on the internet long enough, you can get one for HALF that.
Sorry to say but you couldn't be more wrong about the ZBoard with you saying:

In reply to that:
1) You DONT have to have one for every game. Every keyset is compatible with any game. Take the Doom 3 keyset for example. There is a key called "Flashlight". It isn't a key which sends a command to Doom3.exe to activate flashlight, instead it is a key which is exactly the same as pushing "F" on your keyboard now. Also you are not forced to use the "flashlight" key to be a flashlight. You can have it your "BFG" key (Doom 3 layout) if you wish.
2) No you don't, I don't own the Doom 3 keyset, but I've borrowed it from a friend and I find it great to use in Half-Life 1 and 2. All these expansion keysets are is basically a different face and slight keymovements to match the game you are playing. Hell you could use the Doom 3 keyset in a "My Little Pony" game if you wish.
3) Completly customizable, sure not as much as this new keyboard mentioned in this topic. Like you cant move the "Flashlight" key on the Doom 3 keyset to be where the "BFG" key is as it wouldn't fit without modding the face. But you are not forced to use what the keyboard says. You can have the BFG key to be 1 if you wish. The only disadvantage is it would say Fists on the keyboard. This is why I like the "Gaming Keyset" as it doesn't say any names of things, just key characters.

About the Optimous keyboard:
1) If you REALLY need a button that glows saying it is "Chat" I would be worried. Looking at a keyboard to see what key you are pressing kinda defeats the purpose of learning to type without looking at your keyboard (as gamers do). How many times would you die if you looked at your keyboard whenever you had to switch a weapon?
2) I do find this a plus. For me though I use the "Gaming Keyset" from Zboard, it is a awesome generic keyset that doesn't say "Flashlight" or anything, just key letters.
3) As is the Zboard, if I want to use applications that need a numpad, I just switch it over to the standard keyset which is basically identical to "normal" keyboards.
4) Can't argue that point.
5) Also can't argue that point, however it being forced to be on I don't like. Since the keyboard doesn't have keys characters "painted" on you are basically using pointless power (I know very little) if you are using it when it is still bright out.

About the kicking Zboards ass, debatable. Personally I think it would sell roughly the same as the Zboard due to the price and only people who REALLY want the keyboard will look on the internet.
Zboard only needs what it comes with the "Base" and 2 keysets "Standard" (basic keyboard" and "Gaming Keyset".
In all reality I do have the Doom 3 keyset. Download the updated keysets and you have it, however the keyset "face" won't look like the Doom 3 Zboard face. I won't ever buy a expansion keyset unless it is a major overhaul of the Gaming Keyset or one strictly for games like StarCraft/Warcraft (They have W.o.W. keyset, but I am referring to Warcraft 1-3)
« Last Edit: 2005-08-23, 21:33 by OoPpEe » Logged
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #15 on: 2005-08-24, 05:56 »

Some good points there. :]

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: