2024-05-02, 22:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geometric Detail Confusion (extreme and enhanced options)  (Read 5904 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2005-06-28, 01:25 »

I wanted to get the most out of my new Geforce 6800GT and started maxing out the system options to make the game look pretty. All of the sudden, to my horror, the curves became pointy and not flush with the holes so you could see thru around the edges. It took me quite some time to sort out that it came when I had changed the geometric detail to extreme, I made it back to high detail and everything went back to normal. Could it be that extreme geometric detail is the lowest setting?, like worse than low detail?  I was under the impression that it was the best setting, better than enhanced. I looked for info in the manual and several readme.txt and the only thing I found was the information of the new update on file planet, that mentions only that extreme and enhanced settings had been added, but made no refernce as to what these do.

Extreme settings:

High settings:

And then, which settings should I use as the best geometric detail, is it enhanced or should I just leave it at high?
NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-28, 02:05 »

i'd say high settings, because the curves are supposed to be curved, and the game looks great on any setting anyway.
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-28, 08:36 »

I could have sworn this was a topic long ago.  Gen bug.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-28, 10:59 »

i think by default q3 only support three modes, low, medium, high. guess it's a gen bug but i've never changed the details in gen cuz i always run high by q3 default
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-28, 16:30 »

Please allow the coder to speak before labeling something as a "Genbug"? Sipgate - Evil

The Geometric Detail option controls one cvar:  r_lodbias.  Normally this is set to 0 (High), 1 (Medium), or 2 (Low).  This controls the LOD falloff for md3 models that have a _1.md3 and _2.md3 available for LOD behavior, typically player models.  Well, if you don't like the appearance of the LOD models you can set r_lodbias negative and it will force the falloff curve to not render the LOD versions.  Setting to -1 (enhanced in our menu) pushes the LOD distance for the medium LOD models back to a further distance and renders the normal model at the medium distance, and setting to -2 (extreme in our menu) forces it to never render the LOD models.

r_subdivisions is a cvar that affects the curve brushes.  Default value is "4".  r_lodCurveError also affects curve brushes.  The default value is "250".  Please check those cvars.  If they are anything other than the default values then they may be affected by an r_lodbias change.  I am running r_lodbias -2 (extreme) and I have no problems with my curve brushes rendering improperly.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-28, 20:09 »

Thanks, will do.
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-28, 22:40 »

whoever made that map didn't know how brushes should work with curves Slipgate - Wink Always test your maps with curves set to lowest, then you can see where errors will pop up. Like those gaps.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-28, 22:51 »

:-)  I made that map, but after the newer gfx cards came out since probably 2-3 years ago, I stopped checking low res., you gotta have a real antique if you have to play in low res, and I know that map already strains a decent system anyways. It was a rather personal map I made for meself kinda maxed out with eye candy once, I did have a beta here once and already got enuff heat for overstocking it among other things hehhhhh. In all fairness, the screenshot reflects perfectly what I was trying to illustrate, but it happens with other maps as well made by REAL mappers too, that is why I thought that maybe Extreme= lower than low res originally.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-29, 10:04 »

Slipgate - Off Topic
Does anyone know of a large urban map, similar to fragtown30 but set at dusk or night time? I'd adjust fragtown 30 if I could, as I want it for my LAN.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-29, 15:39 »

Speaking of that Beta, I've not forgotten about the knight for it.  My modeling creativity has been nonexistent of late, and I've been tied up with a lot of coding. Slipgate - Sad

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-29, 18:44 »

CurveError is cheat protected.
I'm currently running r_subdivisions at 1, which makes curves quite smooth indeed.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-30, 03:14 »

Pho: that beta is buried in my old computer somewhere hehhh, I know is a pain to have a real life.

Tab: I made the r_subdivisions=4 (they were at 20) and the curves are really nice now at extreme settings, thanks, I didn't even know there was such a parameter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: