2024-05-07, 18:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SPACE MEAT! (This time spoiler free!)  (Read 15537 times)
Kenny_WHS

Team Member
Pinky

« on: 2005-06-06, 04:38 »

Sorry about the spoiler Pho, I never thought that you or anybody else here for that matter have not played Doom3 yet, trust me it was not intentional.  That being said, now without spoilers and with extra Doom3 physics insanity, I present SPACE MEAT!
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-06, 05:03 »

OMFG! Where and how can you do that! Gotta know. 1 FPS. Wow, lots o' chunks.

Very cool man. Thumbs up!  <3  Thumbs up!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-06, 05:46 »

Gibtastic!  Now I'm hungry...

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-06, 07:05 »

Save a cow eat a demon.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-06, 13:42 »

DAMN!! What the hell hardware are you running?!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-06, 15:44 »

All you need is to fry it all with the plasma gun Slipgate - Smile .

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-06, 15:54 »

Give it to us rrrrraw, and wrrrrrriggling!  Slipgate - Smile~

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-06, 18:22 »

And here I forgot my spoon.....

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-06, 20:30 »

nice

i think i know where that is

is it delta labs ?

if so i can probably get the same pic going
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-06, 20:48 »

knowing what kenny's doing, i'm betting that's a test map - so you can't get that going (unless you get your map on) Slipgate - Wink
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-06, 21:51 »

Haven't seen an effect like that on DooM 3 before... Even by popping something close range with the BFG. God mode on of course. Too much fun spawning tons of zombies and then mowing them down with various weapons. Physics in it can get quite comical at times.

Anyway, how do you get all those chunks? And what can you do with them? Looks like a neat diversion...

/me found fork
that'll work Slipgate - Smile~

NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-06, 22:47 »

forget using a plasma gun Slipgate - Smile

use a quake 2 ground zero plasma beam Slipgate - Smile

INSTA KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN! The Finger  Mine's Bigger!

« Last Edit: 2005-06-06, 22:52 by NovAReapeR » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-06-06, 23:57 »

I know this is somewhat Slipgate - Off Topic but I can't resist doing a weapons rant.  The Ground Zero Plasma Beam was a very inefficient weapon.  Compare the specs:

Plasma Beam:
Damage per shot:  15
Cells used per shot:  2
Efficiency:  7.5

Hyperblaster:
Damage per shot:  20  (15 for deathmatch)
Cells used per shot:  1
Efficiency:  20 (15 for deathmatch)

Reckoning Ion Ripper:
Damage per shot:  30
Cells used per shot:  2
Efficiency:  15

BFG10K:
Damage per shot:  500 (200 for deathmatch)
Splash damage per shot:  150 to 200, depending on distance from impact
Splash damage radius:  100 units
Flash damage:  0 to 200, depending on distance from blast
Flash damage radius:  1000 units
Tracer damage:  100 per second (50 per second for deathmatch)
Tracer range:  256 units
Max possible damage:  696 (404 deathmatch) from direct hit, taken from in-game testing.
Cells uses per shot:  50
Max Efficiency for a single, direct hit: 13.92 (8.08 deathmatch)

The hyperblaster and ion ripper are actually the most efficient of the energy guns.  The mighty BFG10K is actually a lot less efficient than one might think , but what it lacks in efficiency it more than makes up for in multi-target and quick-kill potential.  The plasma beam comes in LAST, being the least efficient of the guns.  The ion ripper is equally efficient as the hyper in deathmatch, but it refires slower.  It does have the nice effect of shooting around corners though. Slipgate - Wink

That being said (and to bring this back ontopic) if you wanted to cook something the hyper is better than the plasma beam.  Now, for a room full of meat like that, one shot from the BFG10K would pretty much do the trick with the most efficiency, though how thorough it would cook the meat at the outside and whether the meat closest to the middle would be edible or completely carbonized is a very good question. Slipgate - Wink

NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-07, 01:10 »

whered u get those stats? the plasma beam doesnt fire "shots", it fires a continuois stream of scorching energy. so i'd say its the fastest weapon in the game.
that and its devastating damage, makes it pretty darn powerful
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-07, 01:27 »

The Plasma Beam is to ammo what Garfield is to lasagne.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-06-07, 03:34 »

NovaReaper:  It comes from my understanding of video game logic.  The damage stats I took right from the game by firing exactly 1 "shot" at a looped back client in both coop and deathmatch.  The other stats I took from the Quake 2 source code.  You see, Quake 2 runs on a clock cycle of 100 milliseconds, or 10 cycles per second (10 Hz).  The plasma beam does a trace function just like a bullet-based weapon or railgun.  It cycles the traces 10 times per second because that's how fast the game can run it.  A single trace does 15 points of damage, therefore the firing rate of the weapon is 10 x 15 or 150 points of damage per second.  The visual beam effect is just that - a visual beam effect that's run client-side.  The client's rendering clock is not synchronized to the server's ticker, it runs much faster (as fast as your video card and CPU can render things) or it would look like a slideshow.  Quake 2 also interpolates models which is a good "fake out" to make things look continuous and smooth that really are not.  That's why the beam looks nice and smooth, but in reality it's "gappy".  It behaves for damage purposes 100% like the Quake 1 lightning bolt as far as how it does the actual hurting.

Now if you want to check me out on this, try this out:

game rogue
map q2dm1
cl_maxfps 1000
give plasma beam
give cells 200
timescale 0.2

This slows the game down dramatically.  Fire the plasma beam, and notice your ammo counter decreases in increments of 2.  Also notice the little sparks and spark sounds.  That's when and where the "beam" is actually trying to hurt something.  The beam model is just tacked onto the gun.  If you want to test this even further, do this, again with the time slowed down:

map base1
notarget

Stand a decent distance away from something hurtable like a guard or a barrel.  Rotate your mouse to drag the beam across it REALLY fast from left to right.  Note that if the sparks fall on either side the object receives zero damage.  This is because every time it runs the damage trace function it just draws a line out from player to impact point, just like a machinegun.  That's all the plasma beam is really.  Same with the Q1 shaft, they just are very accurate and have a flashy graphic.  Here, take a look at this.  You'd think the guard would notice if it were a "continuous" beam, right?  Slipgate - Wink

Edit:  I also just snagged the Rogue source code for Ground Zero.  Here's a few snippets, greatly condensed and simplified for space consideration:

Code:
// pgm - this now uses ent->client->pers.weapon->quantity like all the other weapons
//#define HEATBEAM_AMMO_USE  2  
#define HEATBEAM_DM_DMG   15
#define HEATBEAM_SP_DMG   15

/*
=================
fire_heat

Fires a single heat beam.  Zap.
=================
*/
void fire_heat (edict_t *self, vec3_t start, vec3_t aimdir, vec3_t offset, int damage, int kick, qboolean monster)
{
if (monster)
  fire_beams (self, start, aimdir, offset, damage, kick, TE_MONSTER_HEATBEAM, TE_HEATBEAM_SPARKS, MOD_HEATBEAM);
else
  fire_beams (self, start, aimdir, offset, damage, kick, TE_HEATBEAM, TE_HEATBEAM_SPARKS, MOD_HEATBEAM);
}

// *************************
//  HEATBEAM
// *************************

#ifdef INCLUDE_BEAMS
static void fire_beams (edict_t *self, vec3_t start, vec3_t aimdir, vec3_t offset, int damage, int kick, int te_beam, int te_impact, int mod)
{

vectoangles2 (aimdir, dir);
AngleVectors (dir, forward, right, up);

VectorMA (start, 8192, forward, end);

tr = gi.trace (start, NULL, NULL, end, self, content_mask);

// send gun puff / flash
if (!((tr.surface) && (tr.surface->flags & SURF_SKY)))
{
  if (tr.fraction < 1.0)
  {
   if (tr.ent->takedamage)
   {
    T_Damage (tr.ent, self, self, aimdir, tr.endpos, tr.plane.normal, damage, kick, DAMAGE_ENERGY, mod);
   }

}
}

VectorCopy (endpoint, beam_endpt);

gi.WriteByte (svc_temp_entity);
gi.WriteByte (te_beam);
gi.WriteShort (self - g_edicts);
gi.WritePosition (start);
gi.WritePosition (beam_endpt);
gi.multicast (self->s.origin, MULTICAST_ALL);

}

« Last Edit: 2005-06-07, 03:57 by Phoenix » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2005-06-07, 04:29 »

Quote from: Phoenix
The hyperblaster and ion ripper are actually the most efficient of the energy guns.  The mighty BFG10K is actually a lot less efficient than one might think , but what it lacks in efficiency it more than makes up for in multi-target and quick-kill potential.  The plasma beam comes in LAST, being the least efficient of the guns.  The ion ripper is equally efficient as the hyper in deathmatch, but it refires slower.  It does have the nice effect of shooting around corners though. Slipgate - Wink
I can vouch for that.  Pho is horribly good with the Ion Ripper.  He tore me to shreds with it, and I wasn't even on his screen most of the time. Slipgate - Smile

And for my own self-review...

BFG 10k = Microwave Oven
Hyperblaster = Deep Fryer
Plasma Beam = Rotisserie

Is this correct? :p

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2005-06-07, 06:54 »

Wow, never knew there was so much to the source codes to these games. Fainting

Makes me appretiate Gen alot more.( I need spelling lessons LOL Slipgate - Laugh )

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-06-07, 19:51 »

Yes, source code for a game like Quake 3 is large and complex, and that's just the game logic, we don't have access to the rendering engine.  Now, the entire Quake 2 game source is available here if anyone is curious.  This is the entire game, renderer and game logic.  If you want to see what it takes to write a top-selling video game, take a hard look.  If you really want a lesson in humilty, try downloading the source code to Doom sometime.  Quake 3's source is fairly modder friendly, Quake 2 is not too bad, Doom is downright cryptic.  Personally I wonder if Carmack learned English as a second language after he learned C. Slipgate - Distraught

Regarding Gen...  our source code is 5.191 megs, compared to normal Q3's 3.06.  Our compiled code is 1.96megs (current beta test build), whereas Quake 3 Arena's compiled code is 1.07 megs.  It's a pretty hefty increase, but then Gen's got a lot more weapons to deal with, as well as the class support code and physics.  Frankly I'm astounded we don't have ten times the number of bugs we do have at this point considering as much as we have in there.  Code isn't the whole game though, it just makes the game work.  It's the combination of the game logic and the artwork we have that makes Gen what it is.

NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #19 on: 2005-06-07, 22:54 »

wow cool :p

i never knew the plasma beam worked like that :O

guess im not a source guy Slipgate - Tongue

i also never knew that you can go through quake 2 origional single player with ground zero.

i love fryin hapless guards witrh the plasma beam on god mode!

TY SO MUCH!
« Last Edit: 2005-06-07, 22:57 by NovAReapeR » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: