2024-04-29, 11:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fragtown (maps)  (Read 12219 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-02-21, 16:22 »

Anyone else like the fragtown maps enough to want to play them in Gen?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-21, 22:01 »

What exactly ARE the fragtown maps?
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-22, 11:08 »

Wow, I'm shocked that the person who is working on Generations doesn't know what the Frag Town maps are!  Slipgate - Tongue
They were very very popular user made DM maps for Quake1.  There were like 7 of them if I remember correctly (Frag Town 1-7)  You can download them here if you still have Quake 1 and wish to take a look:
http://www.skarb.telsat.wroc.pl/~kowal/quake/fragtown/
The Frag Town maps were city themed with custom made textures.  I'm not usually a fan of city themed maps, but these maps were very fast paced and had great vertical battles, as well as lots of running around corners and hiding in dark alleys (not hiding as in camping, but hiding as in trying to escape from your predators for a few seconds before someone else finds you) .  The maps were especially cool because you could play anywhere from 2 players to 16 players.  2 players made a fun 1 vs 1 match where you had to hunt your opponent down through the city, while adding large numbers of players would create a chaos filled game with loads of fun Slipgate - Smile   The best one was fragtwn5.bsp in my opinion.  If I had to vote to choose classic user made maps for Quake to be converted over to Generations, these would actually be the ones I would choose.
I used to have countless hours of fun with the old Reaper Bots on those maps, and I know they were very popular among all the Quake DM servers.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-22, 11:58 »

I totally agree with the above post. The maps are far more open than most urban maps, having streets of the width of real roads. You could get to the tops of most of the biuldings using lifts, and there was even a train in one of them. I have also (and still do) play a lot of reaper with these maps, and would love a game against anybody who wants to have a go. In fact most of my DM play is with reaper and these maps).

there were in fact 8 maps, set in different cities, the one not mentions is Fragtn16.

I also have converts for these maps for Q3, that I cannot remember where I got them. I will pass them on to anyone who would like to try them

These would really be good in Gen. Anybody else think so?

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-22, 12:43 »

Heh i have never played the fragtown maps.. and i did play qw alot back then Slipgate - Smile
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-22, 12:48 »

Give them a try. you can get them at http://www.planetquake.com/fragtown/fragtown.html as well
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-22, 14:04 »

Quote from: Lightning Hunter
Wow, I'm shocked that the person who is working on Generations doesn't know what the Frag Town maps are!  Slipgate - Tongue
They were very very popular user made DM maps for Quake1.  There were like 7 of them if I remember correctly (Frag Town 1-7)  You can download them here if you still have Quake 1 and wish to take a look:
http://www.skarb.telsat.wroc.pl/~kowal/quake/fragtown/
The Frag Town maps were city themed with custom made textures.  I'm not usually a fan of city themed maps, but these maps were very fast paced and had great vertical battles, as well as lots of running around corners and hiding in dark alleys (not hiding as in camping, but hiding as in trying to escape from your predators for a few seconds before someone else finds you) .  The maps were especially cool because you could play anywhere from 2 players to 16 players.  2 players made a fun 1 vs 1 match where you had to hunt your opponent down through the city, while adding large numbers of players would create a chaos filled game with loads of fun Slipgate - Smile   The best one was fragtwn5.bsp in my opinion.  If I had to vote to choose classic user made maps for Quake to be converted over to Generations, these would actually be the ones I would choose.
I used to have countless hours of fun with the old Reaper Bots on those maps, and I know they were very popular among all the Quake DM servers.
Theres a couple of quake 3 fragtwn maps here:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nova/2704/...4/pklevels.html
I've just found them and they play alright.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-22, 21:53 »

Just to say that I have just spent 3 hours playing Gen in the fragtown map with a newbie, trying to get him intrested enough to try the server on saturday next.  

The map seems to work very well with gen by the way.

Anybody know where I can get more fragtown maps for quake3 (and Gen)?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-23, 23:33 »

I have no idea, but if you can link me to the ones you found, I'll give 'em a run through.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-23, 23:49 »

Here we are. there's one in the map pack and a smaller version of the map called fragtown 30 on the page.

I've been unable to file the converted fragtown maps I have on line, but this one is very good. I'd like to know what you think.

This bit is just me trying the edit button. (see below) Good isn't it? I should get one fitted to my mouth......
« Last Edit: 2004-02-24, 14:02 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-23, 23:51 »

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nova/2704/...4/pklevels.html

I mean here it is. Its late here in the UK
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-24, 00:40 »

There IS an 'edit' button avaliable Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-24, 13:35 »

And it is possible to react to the topic even though it is not used.
Me, I didn't play the original fragtown stuff :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #13 on: 2004-02-24, 14:15 »

Uhmmmm that is my web page with the two fragtown maps, I made them for pkarena because we used to play them maps in Q1 painkeep. If anyone is interested in the .map to optimize them for genarena lemme know.

If you are interested in urban maps try pawnshop, which I also made, a replica of an SoF level that DNA reviewed on http://www.thebadplace.us/q3.shtml and as he states, I agree that plays awsome in generations, and finally, in my opinion the GOLD STANDARD of urban maps "Chronic" (http://www.interscope.com/quake/) I'm not sure who made that one but is as close to a real city block as I seen.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2004-02-24, 14:42 »

Thanks.
I intend to play pournshop tonite after work with a mate who is starting to like Gen. Played your fragtown 30 last nite for a hour or so (nice map).  I got Chronic on sunday but have only given it a look so far.

Do you know any other urban type maps? I'm new to Q3 so may miss a lot of map places.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2004-02-24, 15:16 »

I don't know of any other urban maps, except some of the ones in generations map pack, although I'm not sure they are "urban" maps but resemble cities.

I just fired up fragtown30 in generations with 5 bots (one of each class) and I got last place (by far too) in 3 consecutive games :-( It is not optimized for generations, it has no plasmagun (not existant in pkarena) and some items are out of reach (we get'em with grapple or airfist) but still was a fragathon.

I spectated the DOOM bot with a speed powerup and a rocketlauncer, that bot went NUTS, after he ran out of ammo, he got that chainsaw and massacred a few more before the powerup ran out, LOL  funny as hell.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-02-24, 18:41 »

I started Q3 and joined a mates server playing gen and the grappeler was in the game.

I do like this map.

On pawn shop: A man with a rail gun can kill anybody. after an hour we both agreed to play doom or slipgate, as it was getting monotonous. Still, like the map.

Do you know any way to turn the music off in Chronic?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2004-02-25, 00:53 »

Here's a link to a couple of urban/earth maps I play a lot in Gen:

http://www.planetquake.com/lvl/mapper.asp?...art=M%2E+Kupfer

They're all by the same author. Dangercity and Quarea51 are particularly smart.

By the way, there is absolutely NO way of turning the music off in Chronic. Good map, though. It was one of my first Q3 downloads.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-25, 00:56 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #18 on: 2004-02-25, 02:00 »

In Chronic, I guess you could go into the pk3 file and change music_in_club.wav for a few seconds of silence with the same name and that would do it. Frankly I've played it so much I don't even  notice the music anymore, as annoying as it is.

Shambler you must be good with the railgun, I kinda suck cause can't aim that well, if I don't get lucky on first shot I get killed before the darn thing reloads. I really wouldn't know much about weapon placement in generations or regular Q3, I play mostly pkarena and we can shield against the railgun with an autosentry, hence there may be extra railguns lying around that shouldn't if ppl play my maps in regular Q3.

But that was a great idea with the fragtown maps, I played them a lot in Q1 and they weren't particuarly well made or pretty, but sure as hell they were FUN
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2004-02-25, 14:05 »

I'm pretty good with the railgun against bots but I am new to online play and have a lot of trouble with lag. I am slowly getting better.

I intend to play some PKarena. I used to do it a lot against the reaper in Q1 and now broardband has opened up so many new things I don't have the time to try them all yet. PK is second on my list after Gen.

You are right about the fragtown maps. the textures were photographs, so for my own personal use I changed a lot of them to make it look better. I still have them on my comp.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: