2024-03-28, 10:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Game Rules (PLEASE READ)  (Read 3694 times)
mecha

Shambler

« on: 2004-03-30, 11:27 »

Monday's Doom CTF game was a total catastrophy on IRC. Unfortunately, this is attributed to a great deal of things, but as a start, here are the proposed "suggested" gametype settings that will go into effect immediately:

- Earth, Doom and Arena CTF games will NOT have techs or hooks enabled by default, for authenticity purposes.

- Slipgate and Strogg CTF will however utilize both techs and hooks also for authenticity purposes.

- As a result of the continuous arguing on IRC about the techs being "too powerful" and for other similar reasons such as whole teams supposedly controlling all the techs and becoming "unstoppable", they are to be disabled in ALL CTF games until further notice. Server votes to enable or disable techs or hooks will still be available, however, should the need arise to turn them on/off. Don't abuse this though, please.

For those (like myself) that favor the techs and are going to make a fuss about them being disabled, please remember that Quake 3 has similar special items built in such as the Quad Damage, Haste and Regeneration powerups. They last for 30 seconds vs. their never-depleting tech counterparts, but remember it's better than nothing. Who knows, maybe you and I will enjoy tech-less games better. Slipgate - Smile

Please remember people, this is just a game. You're never going to find equilibrium in this game, so just increase your BS tolerance and accept it and try to enjoy yourselves. I've undergone both wins and losses throughout my long Quake "career", I know losing sucks. Only you and your teammates can change this, so try to teach the rookies how to defend or attack just to break them in. This leads me to the next order of business...

- We will be CHOOSING our teams on IRC in an attempt to better balance the teams. Keep your preferred positions in mind to help establish "complete" teams. By that I mean try to make sure both teams have adequate numbers of attackers and defenders. There's no sense in having one team that's like a massive fortress and another team that doesn't know the meaning of guarding the flag. Slipgate - Smile  If you wind up on a team that doesn't have this "completeness" then try your best to play a new position. Even I, the lowly defenseman, tries to sneak in and steal the enemy flag and capture sometimes. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy attacking instead of defending or vice-versa.

That about covers it for now I think. If you have any suggestions to try and alleviate certain issues OR bring up issues that haven't been discussed yet, try talking to Phoenix or myself in private about it rather than stirring up a ruckus in #wirehead. And once again, remember that this is a game and try your best to enjoy it.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-30, 12:32 »

More people should use teamspeak. and I agree with everything you say.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-30, 14:06 »

Sounds good! that's one reason why i don't like playing CTF anymore.
course to loose aint fun but see it this way: you learn something from loosing and next time you/and your team will do better!
Trust me i know everything about loosing if you're up to a real challenge try to play with a 56k modem Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-30, 14:27 »

Losing is no problem in itself. Losing by two frags isn't even losing, really. Losing 6-8 in flag caps is neither (oh yes, technically it is, i didn't mean that). Losing 20-nil is not fun. It's not exciting either, nor is it tense or challenging. It's just frustrating and boring. But hey, that's why I'm a skinner, and not a gamer, right? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-30, 20:20 »

Also, this Wednesday's CTF match, assuming I can attend, I'll be flying about taking screenshots and recording demos as opposed to playing.  I can also act as a sort of independent referee, so if the teams end up stacking I can ask some people to swap.  My experience with team play games in the past (RA2, of which I've played a lot) is that teams stack more often than not, and it's not really anyone's fault it just gravitates that way.  We all want more people to join in the fun, so let's make sure they all have fun in the process.  I do not want to see another bickering session in IRC like we had Monday night.  Let's keep it fun.  Slipgate - Smirk

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: