2024-04-29, 02:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce 6 Announced  (Read 2962 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-04-14, 16:05 »

As expected NVidia announced the new GeForce 6 chipset series today, which will feature the GeForce 6800 Ultra and GeForce 6800 at first. The new chipset features a 16 pipeline architecture, supports the DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and according to NVidia it will have "eight times the floating-point shader power", "four times the shadow processing power" and "double the vertex processing power" compared to the GeForce FX. There's also this press release publisher & developer support, and you can find tech demos here.

Previews with benchmarks of the Ultra version have been posted on Hard OCP, AnandTech, Tech Report, Firing Squad and Hardware Analysis.

So when can you find the new cards in stores? In about a month. And yes, NVidia recommends a 480W PSU for the Ultra version of the card.

For now, I think we've established a few things about the NV40 with all of our testing. First and foremost among these is the fact that NVIDIA isn't blowing smoke this time around. Many of our crazy tests in this mega-long review are aimed at exposing weaknesses or just verifying proper operation of the GPU, and the GeForce 6800 Ultra passed with flying colors. The NV40 is exceptionally good, with no notable weaknesses in performance or capability. NVIDIA has caught up to ATI's seminal R300 chip in virtually every respect, while adding a host of new features that make NV40 a better graphics processor, including long shader programs, more mathematical precision, and floating-point framebuffer blends. And it's a freaking titan of graphics performance.
Thanks to shacknews for the heads up.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-14, 17:19 »

I may not be an Nvidia user, but I like what I see. This comes as welcome news after the GeforceFX debacle, and rumors of Nvidia pulling out of the video card market.

Frankly, ATI and Nvidia's rivalry is good for customers, and good for the people making the games they're used in. As long as both companies are doing more than speeding up existing chips, there will be more for developers to work with. Innovation is a good thing, now I'm just looking forward to some proper bumpmap usage.. *mutter* plastic-coated *mutter* *mutter*

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-14, 23:10 »

Very impressive.  It seems that they finally got it right, which is good, because I'd shudder to think of the stagnation that would occur if ATI ended up with a monopoly on the market.  Now we get to wait and see if the new Radeon core will outperform it or not.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: