2024-03-28, 23:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fragmaster Quits PlanetHL (And leaves a harsh goodbye)  (Read 6292 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-04-20, 22:44 »

Unfortunately Valve -- for whatever reason -- refused to own up to the fact that Half-Life 2 was going to be delayed. Gabe made that ridiculous "First time I've heard about this" response, and other sites overreacted and assumed that this meant that Vivendi's announcement was a mistake. This situation was further complicated by Vivendi's backtracking: after Valve essentially refused to confirm the delay news, Vivendi was forced to (kind of) retract their original delay announcement. So tons of people incorrectly assumed this meant HL2 was still coming out on time.

(...)

I visited Valve in early September to conduct interviews for the Behind the Scenes book. It was quite a bit of fun, but I was a little disturbed by a few things. I won't get into the specifics, but information wasn't matching up. Things said during the E3 demo turned out to be either misleading or untrue, for example. I don't want to say exactly what kind of state the game was in when I was there, but you'll recall that when other fan sites visited Valve later that month (BEFORE the source code leak, even), they were unable to see the game. Now, if the game was in a playable state and supposedly ready to go gold within a couple of days, don't you think they would have shown it off?

(...)

The Anonymous Leaker, despite being an asshole such as myself, was basically correct. HL2 wasn't nearly as far along as Valve was hinting at, and a lot of the things Valve showed in the E3 demo were misrepresented. Did he really release all the work Valve had done on HL2? To be honest, I don't know for sure. It's a possibility. Valve certainly made little effort to dispute his claims.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/...549&tid=1352802

I basicly agree with the things he say, but not really the strenght of it. No matter what happend or not, it's still just a computer game. Not the end of the world.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-21, 02:06 »

I see it as no different from what nVidia pulled with 3DMark.  Both are deceptive.  I think Valve may have bit off more than they can chew in trying to outpace Doom 3.  That's the same mistake Id made with Quake 3 in trying to outpace Unreal Tournament.  It's better to take yout time and do it right, and let the game stand on its own merits, than to try to be the "first out the gate."  Slow and steady wins the race.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-21, 04:36 »

Slipgate - Sad
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-21, 04:37 »

I completely agree with Pho. I'd rather wait for HL2 than have it rushed out the door to compete with Doom3.

I'll buy both, provided they're quality products. If I hear as much hate for HL2 as I did for Deus Ex 2, I might reconsider.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-21, 04:40 »

From what I can roughly tell, based on certain...uh...experiences I've had with HL2, it's no Deus Ex 2. It's just...damnit I like this game, and I like Valve (or I think). Part of me doesn't want to believe fragmaster, but part of me knows he's right. Sigh.

I just want my HL2. I don't care when, I still trust Valve to make a completely kick ass game. I just don't want this drama any more. I wish they would stop lying and just say Holidays 2005 or whenever, and I wish everyone would stop all this sporking drama.

I just want my HL2. Slipgate - Sad
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-21, 05:12 »

well i want my duke nukem forvever but it aint gonna happen.
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-21, 07:33 »

Quote from: Woodsman
well i want my duke nukem forvever but it aint gonna happen.
A generel misconception here... It's not duke nukem  forever it just duke nukem the forever part came from a misread piece of paper

|         Title         |        Delayed          |

Slipgate - Wink
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-21, 11:10 »

I just want a patch for ut2004. I like it but really want to play invasion in the onsloght maps.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-21, 11:16 »

that would rock
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-21, 14:29 »

Quote from: shambler
I just want a patch for ut2004. I like it but really want to play invasion in the onsloght maps.
Can't you just redo the maps?  I've been playing vCTF on Onslaught maps for a while now.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-21, 15:33 »

valve sucks. they havent released a game since the original HL, and they are quickly becoming daikatana 2 w/ hl2.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-21, 15:50 »

Quote from: shambler
It's been done.

If I can find the mutator, I'll post it here.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-21, 19:17 »

Silly people; Half-Life 2 ships in 1969.

Lol, I took a screeny of it if they fix the typo before you see it.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-21, 19:18 by dna » Logged
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-22, 23:52 »

UT2004 Vehicle Invasion (on Onslaught maps):

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/138758.shtml

I recommend you combine this mutator with the UT2004 RPG mod system for RPG-style gameplay:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/138756.shtml

Or, if sick and twisted is more your thing, try the SuperMegaBullsh.t mod, which among other things, speeds up players, makes the buggy pint-sized, and spawns Ion Tanks and Toilet Cars.

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/138958.shtml

Sorry, Fileshack doesn't have these mods up for download.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: