2024-04-29, 15:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen Tourney At Qcon (need suggestions)  (Read 9808 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-25, 20:54 »

If a good player winds up with a sorry team, he'll definitely get the highest score on his team and advance to the next round.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-25, 20:59 »

So you're talking about the top scorer from each team then? (Edit: Just read your post again, this is what you're talking aout)

Several good players end up on one team. The other team is a bunch of white shirts.

You end up with one good player and one poor player advancing.

Also, consider the number of matches and time invovled in setting these things up. Last year the tourney took several hours to complete. The more matches you run, the longer it takes to get organized and play.

It's just a bad idea. If you're playing a FFA/1on1 tourney, you stick with FFA or 1on1. If you're playing a CTF tourney, you stick with CTF. Same with TDM. You don't throw unfamiliar gametypes into the mix.

And I highly doubt that people would get bored with gen in the (relatively) short time a tourney takes, especially if we force different classes.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-04-25, 21:18 »

The Doomed FFA round is setup to pick up players who got shafted or who didn't perform as well as they normally do. The good players that are efficent at fragging will still advance and the poor will get filtered out.

A little spice makes most things nice, including this tourney I believe.

Plus, putting those two unique gamemodes in will help promote various styles of gameplay in Gen. It's good to broaden everyone's horizons =]

On a side note, has anyone looked at the part where we need more 1v1 maps?
« Last Edit: 2004-04-25, 21:30 by Tekhead » Logged
jess

Archvile

« Reply #23 on: 2004-04-26, 05:00 »

While we're on the subject.. I do need suggestions as far as maps.. I don't want to throw in maps that you don't like... Also, what does every one want as far as the game type (ie ctf, tdm, 1v1).. The tourney is for all of you, not for me... so it's your call!
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #24 on: 2004-04-26, 05:13 »

As far as maps go, i'd definately say no to anything with invulnerability.
Suggestions:
A Load of Useless Bloody Loonies
MKSteel
basically any really good maps without the invul, i believe it would unbalance the tourney a bit.

top places, i was thinking maybe for the losers a WHS gen window sticker or mouse pads, grand prize...WHS T-shirt, signed by the gen team, and a big hard drive? hard drives are getting pretty cheap nowdays...relatively speaking...maybe a DVD burner? i know they're a bit of a stretch, but its all i got hehe

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2004-04-26, 05:39 »

I've opened up a thread on the main page asking for opinions. You can find it here.

Feel free to repost comments from here there.

I'm closing this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: