2024-03-28, 15:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Powerup Ideas Thread  (Read 65700 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #120 on: 2004-06-07, 02:16 »

Take your time my friend.  I've gone from "Flank" to "All Stop" the last few days myself.  Being sick sucks.  Slipgate - Smile~  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #121 on: 2004-06-07, 02:25 »

O.O

Fainting

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #122 on: 2004-06-07, 02:51 »

Time for me to make everyone's favorite quote...

"Whoa" - Neo

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #123 on: 2004-06-07, 03:32 »

Oh! Wow! Flight looks nice!  Thumbs up!
Parapsyche

Spectre

« Reply #124 on: 2004-06-07, 03:51 »

Oh man...Tabun, that Scarab Staff looks friggin awesome!  The art style is incredible!!!

ACK!  I can't wait till .99e...it's gonna be awesome.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #125 on: 2004-06-07, 20:28 »

Nice flight! Thumbs up!

I'm with Angst on the alcohol - a nice big sqare bottle of tequila - potent AND it tastes like shit! Slipgate - Smile~

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #126 on: 2004-06-07, 20:57 »

Alcohol muscles, baby... WRAAAAAAAA! Sipgate - Evil

Personally, I dunno about the whole alcohol thing... but, it's not my choice to make.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #127 on: 2004-07-06, 23:25 »

In light of a recent developement, it's time to revive this thread. Doom needs Regen, Haste, and Flight!

So here are a few I can think of that have either been suggested by someone else, or came to mind on my own:

For Regeneration:
1) A beating human heart. Not the cutesy Valentines Day thing, but the kind beating in your chest.
2) The Doom Megasphere. There's no other use for it in Gen, and I think it would be nice to have it appear in some form.

For Flight:
1) A bird's head.
2) A Cacodemon.

For Haste:
Hell if I know.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #128 on: 2004-07-06, 23:33 »

Indeed. Resuming brainstorm, started in Generations Betatesting forum.

For haste:
1. a swirling cloud of particles and shockwaves a-la LSoV.
2. some kind of lightning effect going on inside the orb, q3 shaders
3. A (burning) arch-vile head

Alright peeps, here's the general scope of things. Doom uses orbs, and only orbs, for powerups, so what is being thought up here, are the _contents_ of those. The throbbing heart idea was introduced by Phoenix, and I can picture it working quite well. As for flight, a cacodaemon/pain element might work, but then again, the same goes for the lost soul.

The fun thing about this is that there's not really a set theme for the things inside the orbs, as long as they're moody and demonic. Hell, I'm not even sure if the invisibility fits the second description, anyway.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #129 on: 2004-07-07, 00:12 »

Invisibility will be the blue iris will it not?

Apart from that one, there was a sort of consistent theme involving heads/skulls. The soulsphere was a pulsing face, invunlerability was an endless cycle of a skull closing its mouth on the last skull, the megasphere was a Mancubus head that looked like it was stuffing its face etc. Maybe carry on with the random heads theme? Maybe flight could be a Romero head with some swirling clouds around it, heh.

Also, you could imagine that the essence of what is portrayed in the sphere is somehow trapped in there for anything to use. So if you use an archie head for the haste, make it really angry and frantic as if it's livid about its fate Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2004-07-07, 00:15 by Chilvence » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #130 on: 2004-07-07, 00:23 »

One of my ideas for Haste is to have some demonis face with big teeth like its about to bite your head off, except the orb displaces itself, shifting slightly all around in aggrivation.

Another idea is to have it look like you're flying through stars (kinda like the screensaver)

Another idea is to depict a hurricane, kind of like the big spot on Jupiter. That could be cool.
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #131 on: 2004-07-07, 02:13 »

I really like that hurricane Idea, reminds me of a cool simulation of the big red spot where they sped it up a few thousand times Slipgate - Smile

Maybe you could do it with a simple sideways scrolling texture by twisting the skin coordinates around the eye shape?
« Last Edit: 2004-07-07, 02:15 by Chilvence » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #132 on: 2004-07-07, 03:29 »

For the Doom orbs I'm thinking:

Regen: I would go with the Megasphere idea, perhaps even a red version of it
Invisibility: I agree with Chilvence - the big bloodshot eyeball!
Megahealth: Soul Sphere (of course)
Haste: An archvile head sounds about right to me (almost yellow too, come to think of it)
Invul: I say stick with the original green orb
Flight: Perhaps a cacodemon opening and closing its mouth?

That's my 2p's worth.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-07, 03:37 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #133 on: 2004-07-07, 04:23 »

Perhaps I should add, since there seems to be some misconception about it, that the obvious powerups:

- Invisibility
- Invulnerability, and the
- Megahealth

Will be replaced by

- Invisibility sphere from Doom
- Invulnerability sphere from Doom
- Soulsphere from Doom

There is no argument possible, considering those, and no discussion nescessary. Focus on:

- Haste
- Regeneration
- Flight

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #134 on: 2004-07-07, 04:40 »

Well the Regen idea I've already put forth, the beating heart, but a red version of a soul-sphere could look good too.  Good idea there.

For Haste I think maybe a yellow demon face (archvile, whatever) with an electrical shader running on the sphere surface might look good.  As long as the sphere mapping behaves the way I think it will, I think we could swing that effect.  Tab:  I might need a full sphere model for the shader effect.  I'll know once I try it, if we take that route.  I like the electrical idea, as it's a variation on the yellow lightning theme and I love doing electrical shader effects.  <3

As for flight..  that is a toughie.  A lot of people might not catch the cacodemon translation, but the Invuln already uses a skull-shaped head inside so the lost soul idea is out.  The usual flight theme is something with wings, but getting anything winged to work in a sphere would be tough.  Maybe a flapping-winged, evil looking bird-like demon trying to fly at the player, snapping its beak and flexing its talons occasionally would work?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #135 on: 2004-07-07, 05:01 »

What about some kind of flat winged shape with a corkskrew spiral spinning below it, to give the illusion of flying upwards? Fitting it in a tiny sphere might be a problem though.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #136 on: 2004-07-07, 07:27 »

To me, a pair of bat/demon wings that rotate, bob, and flap every once  in a while would be plenty sufficient for Doom's flight power-up.

And as for Haste:  I definitely like the demon face idea.  Maybe it could be jittery and appear to blur in and out of focus?

Phoenix:  I absolutely love the heart idea for Regneration.  It gives me pangs of nostalgia for the game Blood. Slipgate - Smile

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #137 on: 2004-07-07, 08:20 »

A relatively consistent theme with the doom spheres were objects appearing out of an almost liquid core..

flight: pouncing bird of prey uses the same effect the mega/invuln uses (fade out of "nothing"), then flaps and fades back into the sphere.

haste: I can't help but see some figure running the equator of the sphere.. Out of the goo, back into the goo.. A tad campy for doom, perhaps.

regen: two-chamber heart, chamber fills, chamber 'compresses' causing itself to fade back into the sphere while the other chamber becomes easily visible. Second chamber fades back in, repeat.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #138 on: 2004-07-07, 11:21 »

Here's my ideas

Flight: I agree with the cacodemon idea

Regeneration: Hmm...maybye a green health powerup (the health powerup that i'm  talking about is that blue bottle but in green and inside a sphere)

Haste: I don't know what the hack is haste so i'm not saying anything about it.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #139 on: 2004-07-07, 13:29 »

Actually, the only powerup where the contents partially submerge in something nondescript, is the soulsphere. The others don't feature that :]

regen
I think the heart idea will work perfectly for regen. I'm sorry angst, but although the idea is very nice, remember these things will have to be modelled, animated and skinned _before_ quakecon. I have another idea I will draw & show sketches for, involving the heart, too.
Theme is decided upon anyway: Red/burgundy shaded orb, beating heart

haste
Kruzader: use your imagination for 'haste', because it just does what the name says: speed things up.
I think Pho's idea will work quite well here, as well as add some variety by said electrics (plus I'm curious what it would look like Slipgate - Smile). The Arch-Vile was also one of the coolest enemies in Doom, imo, and modelling either that or a likeness of it will be enjoyable.

flight
Although I like most ideas involving birds (especially Chilvence's corkscrew trick), I'm also looking at the limited time available in combination with the flight being a very rare powerup indeed. Although the cacodeamon might not be a very intuitive choice, rendered in purple it would probably work. It is also easily demonic and Doomish. And finally, it is the easiest thing to model and animate in the least amount of time, especially compared to realistic birds flapping wings etc. I'm heavily leaning away from those, for that reason.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: