2024-04-28, 05:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-popup blockers  (Read 4420 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-06-01, 19:14 »

While reading another forum (sa), I came across a post from a guy who found this new garbage. If you visit http://www.arcadeathome.com/ (emulator site, not roms), and try to download an emulator while your popup blocker is enabled, you get this:

We've determined you're using popup blocking software.

This site is provided free of charge due to our sponsors and their ads. By blocking ads, you limit our ability to provide a free site. Therefore, if you choose to block our ads you'll be unable to view certain pages. If you wish to view this site, turn off your ad blocking software. (error: 3.1)

To try again or if you believe you've received this message in error, please go back and try again.

Here is the website of the software: http://antiadblocker.leethost.com/

Some info:

Webmasters, Lower Costs and Save Money! You may not be aware of this, but as a webmaster, your visitors are STEALING from you! They surf your site, download files, use server resources, and use bandwidth but don't view any of your ads. In essence, they leech from you and leave you paying for the bills! Before AntiAdBlocker? you just had to accept this as part of running a web site, but not anymore!

Is Ad Blocking Really a Problem? A year or two ago it wasn't. But today, ad blockers have become VERY popular. As popup ads have become more popular, so have ad blockers. On our test sites, as many as 40% of users block ads in one way or another! Even worse, browsers are now starting to add popup blocking features! An example of this is the latest version of Opera and Mozilla which allows users to block all popup ads with a simple switch. Internet Explorer and Netscape are probably next. It's time to fight back and regain control of your advertising and bandwidth costs!

Here's what the program does:

- Detects most known ad blocking software (more than 30 top ad blockers tested).
- Detects users who block ads with proxy ad blockers.
- Detects users who block ads with software that changes web content.
- Detects users who use popup ad blockers or popup auto-closers (not supported in AntiAdBlocker? Lite).
- Detects users who turn off JavaScript so your banners won't be display.
- Detects users who turn off session cookies. Without session cookies, your advertisers can't serve ads correctly and you lose money.
- Detects users using site rippers that are trying to download your entire site.
- Logs all attempts and failures in a detailed log file. (not supported in AntiAdBlocker? Lite)
- Uses a sophisticated 128-bit rotating public key along with a unique private key so cracking the script is basically impossible.
- Can be used on every page or certain key pages with a simple one line installation.
- Checks for ad blockers multiple times if user stays on your site. The time between checks is user-adjustable and random

Pretty lame, imo. I can't stand popup ads. If a site requires me to view popup ads, I simply won't view that site anymore. Wonder how quickly this crap will spread...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-01, 19:27 »

They sell this things?? How low can you get!! Slipgate - Shouting

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-01, 19:33 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: marketing will be the end of us all. Our souls will be sold for absolute rockbottom price and nothing but hollow shells will remain. The sooner the better, if it's up to those bastards behind this.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-01, 19:33 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-01, 21:17 »

slashdotted. Sipgate - Evil

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-02, 08:02 »

Its all a bit like evolution ain't it?
you surf
you get pop ups
you block pop ups
a prog is made that stops the blocker.

next will be a prog that stops the prog that stops the bocker.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-02, 11:20 »

From my understanding, most sites that flood you with popup ads fall into the "fraudulent website" catagory anyway.  I've seen rom sites that just bounce you from one site to the next, etc, and you can never actually find a download.  All they are is ad spammers.  Those are the kind of idiots that are going to bite into this garbage.  If a site doesn't want visitors because we block their ads then I don't think there's anything worth looking at on that site anyway.

They also have their logic backward.  We're not stealing from anyone.  We're filtering what WE want to see on OUR computers.  This is MY hardware this data is being displayed on, and MY bandwidth that's being used here.  I and I alone will decide what I do and do not want to see rendered upon my screen.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: